Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 60PV250 - Glow Screen, no picture

Hey gang,

I've been reading through the forums and was hoping you might be able to offer some advice on my TV. I have an LG 60PV250 that recently started acting up. I've taken to cover off and tested both fuses with my multimeter. They appear good.

When powering on the TV, I can see it power up, and the red light responds to remote input. I've changed the input (blindly, since no picture) and can hear sound on the analog input (static). While powered up, the Lighting on the TV does appear to change, but at no time is the picture visible.

With the back cover off, I can sometimes hear a faint buzzing from the z-sus board.

I've unplugged the z-sus and powered on the TV. Doing this causes nothing to happen on the screen, not even the "glow". The red light flashes slowly, and the TV doesn't appear to respond to the remote with Z-sus disconnected.

The armchair quarterback in me says to send off the z-sus board for a repair, but I thought I'd check with you folks first. Anything else I should try? Anything I can do to verify that the z-sus is at fault?

Thanks gang!

- Vantix
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vantix; 05-04-2018, 11:53 AM. Reason: Added pics

Re: LG 60PV250 - Glow Screen, no picture

With the set powered off you need to disconnect the ribbon from the main board to the control card Picture 3 of 5 and short the two pads just above where it says LG PDP. Then switch on and you should have test patterns displayed on the screen.
    Attached Files
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I've got one of these to look at when I get time - same thing sound no picture. My research indicates this model suffers from poor solder joints on coils on the sus boards which may be consistent with the buzzing you hear.

Comment

Sounds like the coils. We've had two so far this year, and both needed the Y and drivers repaired. Don't use that Oleg guy to repair, he kept our last driver boards. Use PST if you need the Y rebuilt. Resoldering the coils has worked for us before.

Comment

After you resolder the bad coil joints, and replace the shorted igbts, do not try to run the tv untill you have every screw back in each board!!!!!!! Running without a screw will do a lot more damage.

Comment

Could be a bad buffer board. Ran into this before. Buffer wasn't shorted but was muting the picture. Top buffer board to be exact.
            Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
              With the set powered off you need to disconnect the ribbon from the main board to the control card Picture 3 of 5 and short the two pads just above where it says LG PDP. Then switch on and you should have test patterns displayed on the screen.
              Shorted the two pads. I see solid red, green, white and black screens. Just the solid colors.

I appreciate all of you chiming in with advice. Debating my next move here. I'm tempted to send the Zsus board off to have some work done. My soldering skills are exactly zero, so I'd rather pay someone to work on the board. I've found some online services that will do this for $40 or so if I ship them the board. Should I use one of them? Any service you guys recommend?

Thanks again for all the insight!

- Vantix

Comment

Good advice in post 4 I would say.

Comment

It's extremely good advice to ensure that all the coils are touched up with fresh solder so as to eliminate these as a potential fault especially while you have the set opened up, however it does look like you have a mainboard fault since the test patterns are displayed.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
                    It's extremely good advice to ensure that all the coils are touched up with fresh solder so as to eliminate these as a potential fault especially while you have the set opened up, however it does look like you have a mainboard fault since the test patterns are displayed.
                    Thanks for the follow up on this. I think I know a shop locally that can touch up the coils. Should I ask them to do both the Y and Z boards?

Is repairing the main board even an option? Or just find and order a replacement?

Thanks again gang!

Comment

Yes that would be good advice. Make good all the coils and any other solder joint that may look dull grey or cracked.

Mainboards are difficult to fault-find and it may be cheaper to look for a replacement mainboard from someone like www.shopjimmy.com

Comment

Just to bring this to a close. Took dick_barton's advice and got a replacement main board from ebay. Swapped it in and the TV is good to go. Thanks so much to all of you for the assistance. I really appreciate it!

- Vantix

Comment

Sell your original board on ebay for a fair price. It will sell.

Comment

Originally posted by tvtimmy View Post
                            Sell your original board on ebay for a fair price. It will sell.
                            Even though it is not functional?

Comment

Working...
                            X