Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic Viera TX-P42VT30E TNPA5330 blown

Hi all,

I apologize for the very long post, I don't know what came over me...

A few days ago my wonderful TV set ceased to work with a POP sound after 7 years of impeccable images. While working normally, the pop came and the TV shut down. After unplugging, resting a short while and re-plugging in, I only got a repetitive 7 red blinks of the power led, which I later discovered is called "Panasonic 7 blinks of death .

As a guy concerned with quality over price I contacted the local Panasonic service center and described the problem. They offered me the P board at a price of about 200 euro as they said it is 100% defective and declined to quote anything else until the P board is replaced. They estimated the repair (off the record) to about 700-900 euro. When I asked them why the repair is close to the original TV price they said that they only replace the whole boards with Panasonic originals and they cost a lot.

Ok, given that you can find a decent new TV set with 900euros and I have some (limited) skills with the soldering iron and a digital multi-meter I decided to at least try to fix the TV. In case of failure or fire, I'll just head out to the store and buy a new one... but I love my Viera too much to just throw it away.

Looked up a service manual on the net and identified the 7 blinks code as SN-Board failure. Since I had no idea what a SN Board is, I started the search that lead me here, among other places. I read all about it and learned about the "screws that screwed up" my TV. (More info HERE)

So, I started by opening the back of the TV and cleaning the dust found inside. After a brief visual inspection, I found no culprit for the POP sound, so I started with the multi-meter.
    The obvious (for me) point to start was the power source (P-Board). One blown fuse (4A) and two transistors shorted. So far, everything seemed to be coherent with other SN-Board failures found over the internet.

Next, I started to measure things on the SN Board (or YSUS board). After taking it out of the TV chassis I found the solder under the screws to be burnt exactly like others with the same problem showed it in pictures all over the net.

I did all the possible checks to ensure buffers are OK, no shorts found on the connectors, connectors with ground, no short on C842, etc.

Found 6 parts shorted (Q401, Q402, Q403, Q421, Q422 and Q423) and some SMD diodes near the buffers also shorted that I later learned they are supposed to show as shorted.
    I ordered a repair kit with the risk of getting fake parts because my electronics skills are not that advanced to find in-production equivalents for the shorted and discontinued parts on my board.

The kit arrived and it was time for my temperature controlled soldering iron to go into action...
    Since the 6 transistors are used in parallel (3 by 3), I re-checked every one of them after taking out from the board, just in case one of them survived.
    No luck, 5 of them were still shorted and I found the POP source in Q423 that was physically cracked and showed an infinite resistance across all pins.
    Since the recommendations were to also replace the driver circuitry IC502 and Q531 (and they were included in my kit), I found the courage to try and replace IC502 with my very unfit soldering iron and without a proper magnifying glass or light. I have no idea how to test the original IC502 so replacement was kinda mandatory. Q531 on the other hand seems to be in working order when measured on-board with the multi meter. Checked all the pins of the SMD IC502 and they show no shorts, all connections are according with the schematics (my eyes seem to be in decent shape, despite my not so young age ).
    After replacing the above mentioned 6 transistors and one IC, I checked all of the gate resistors for the broken parts. They all show the correct value of 7.5 ohms. i also checked the resistors around the IC and found them all to be the correct value.

And now, finally, MY DILEMMA: No other parts show short or weird readings (except maybe Q661 which I will change today because it shows a strange leakage between the gate and collector). Should I replace all the other parts that came in the kit (19 total parts) or just the ones I was able to find broken?
    Main cause for this dilemma is the amount of complaints about fake parts being included in these kits. My logic dictates me to try to keep as may original parts as possible, since those are certified. But how can I be sure I have tested them correctly and they are still working?

PS: Damn, I feel like I wrote a book here Sorry about that and thank you if you took the time to read until here

Attached Files
    Last edited by WildPuppy; 03-29-2018, 01:07 AM.

Re: Panasonic Viera TX-P42VT30E TNPA5330 blown

Bottom line, in case the first post is too long...

And now, finally, MY DILEMMA: No other parts show short or weird readings (except maybe Q661 which I will change today because it shows a strange leakage between the gate and collector).
    Should I replace all the other parts that came in the kit (19 total parts) or just the 6 ones I was able to find broken?

Comment

Yeah, I did read your post. To help you a little out, here is some advise: Build yourself a protection device, so just in case if there is something shorted on the PSU, your new parts won't blow up. Google something like "series light bulb trick" and you get things like this: https://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/tvfaq/tvtslbt.htm
      build it, it's easy to do and always comes in handy. As for other parts, you can only measure x amount, depending on what you are capable of and equipment you have. So if you only have a DMM and nothing else, you are limited to what kind of tests you can do.

In your case it depends on what are these parts that are left over and what parts did you use. For example: If you changed out the FETs on the PSU, but didn't change the gate drive parts, well that's going to suck. If you have a diode, but the original diode is still good, well that is O.k. For everything else: If in doubt, change it out.

So what was the full parts list and what is left over now?
      Last edited by CapLeaker; 03-31-2018, 06:46 AM.

Comment

The six mosfets (30F131 and RJP30H2?) that you've already replaced are already the most likely to fail due to the "fake" parts issue you mentioned. I'm thinking that the remaining parts are mostly resistors, diodes and some smaller mosfets, which are probably fine. With that being said, when those large mosfets short out, they do put a strain on surrounding devices and I would say go ahead and install the remaining parts in the kit if your soldering skills are up to the task.

Comment

Hey, thank you both for your reply. I almost gave up hope to get an answer...

Thanks for the protection device advice. I'll do it just to be a bit safer.
          Remaining parts in the kit are:
          7 SMD Gate Resistors (checked onboard and they all show the right values)
          R401-403, R421-423 (all 6 are 7.5 ohm) and R507 (220 ohms)
          Q531 - SMD double transistor - DMM shows normal leakage one way, nothing reverse on both tranz.)
          Q441 (DG302)
          Q661 (RJP63G4) which I will use on the board
          D401 (RF1501) DMM shows it works
          D421 (DAF30A) DMM shows it works

Total: 11 parts left

@jetadm123:
          The FETs in the kit were Q401-403: 30F131 and Q421-423: RJP30H2A. I tried my best to wash the letters on them with IPA but it seems to be properly printed, not inkjet. I know that is not a guarantee.

I am still waiting for the delivery of those 2 R6015ANX for the power supply that were not included in the kit, they should arrive on Wednesday.
          One more question, if I got you looking
          Would it make sense to try and use a normal or even fast acting 4A fuse instead of the original time delayed one for testing purposes? I know that the energy in the capacitors downstream of the fuse will be the main problem for the parts, but still...
          Last edited by WildPuppy; 04-01-2018, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Because some aren't replying right away, doesn't mean you wont get an answer. Plasma's are a bit of pain to repair. If the fuse blows it blows... fast acting or not and components will be toast. There is no real gain here. The fast acting fuse could also blow due to the inrush. All you can do is to check and recheck everything again. No shorts on any power rails or buck converters etc and hope for the best.
            Last edited by CapLeaker; 04-01-2018, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Ok. While waiting for the power supply transistors to arrive, I'll take your advice and triple-check SN and P boards again for any weird readings.

For example: If you changed out the FETs on the PSU, but didn't change the gate drive parts, well that's going to suck.
              Other than the IC's in the power supply which I can't really test with the DMM, all components appeared to have legit readings.

I'll keep you posted with updates as I'll have them.
              Thank you again for the time and advice.

Comment

So, finally, the power supply transistors came yesterday and I took some time today to finish my repair.
                Installed everything, reconnected all connectors (darn those on the far left are hard to fit, especially the last two at the bottom).
                Reinstalled the back cover as I don't know how sparky the TV grew... and power on.

Surprise, the TV worked once more. I noticed some horizontal lines and understood that one connector was not properly seated.
                Shut down, disassemble the back cover, adjusted the problematic connector and reinstalled all, including ALL (about 43 if I remember correctly) case screws thinking that was that.
                Installed all external cables (a lot of those too) and turned the TV on.

It worked like new! for about 3 minutes
                The main difference from before is that now I have 6 blinks instead of 7.
                Since it is Saturday evening and tomorrow we celebrate Easter, I'll give it a rest until Tuesday and re-start this little project.

So, for those of you that celebrate Easter tomorrow Happy Easter, for the others, stay tuned. The soap opera continues...

Comment

So, in this episode of my Panny's trip back from the dead we stop for a 6 blink instead of the initial 7.
                  After a quick check, all the newly installed parts were still OK. I found one transistor with a short between gate and collector, a DG302 marked Q451in the schematics.
                  Replaced it from the kit, since they provided a DG302 for Q441 which in my case is still working.
                  Put everything back and power up: Everything works flawless.
                  Left the set working for about one hour, all seems to be ok. Reinstalled the case, the set in the original position, every cable, etc.
                  Left it on to see how it works, started to take pictures to prove my success... usual childish behavior
                  After about another half hour, while playing with the TV and the camera to find a nice image to capture, POP!!!
                  Back to square one, 7 blinks.

Took it apart again, measured everything that I could and found this:
                  -the 6 transistors are shorted again (Q401, Q402, Q403, Q421, Q422 & Q423)
                  - Q423 again is cracked open
                  - D421 shorted (a DAF30A)
                  - power supply blew the same way (2xR6015ANX and one 4A fuse)

Now, based on the fact that the same transistors blew up, I can only imagine they were not quite legit. Probably when going out, they took out D421 in the process.
                  My question: Is this scenario with bad parts plausible or should I try harder to find something else that eluded my defect search and is causing these parts to fail?
                  I forgot to mention that I cleaned and re-soldered all the screw holder pads so the original cause is out of the way.

Comment

Anyone has an idea of an in-production replacement for FGD4536 (which was a replacement for the original and discontinued 13F131 and DG302)? It seems this one is also discontinued from production
                    As i read opinions over the www, it was the best replacement for all those FET's.

I kinda' lost trust in these "repair kits" and I'll try to source the individual components (or replacements) myself from trust-worthy sources.
                    Last edited by WildPuppy; 04-11-2018, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Remove Q423 and recheck DAF30.

DAF30 , RF1501 etc read short because of the shorted FET. You probably had fake parts even though the tv turned on for a while.

Dont buy repair kits , the 30F131/RJP30H2A etc are all fakes , even the RJP64G3 can be fake.

95% of all these boards you need to replace the 6 fets and the 2 small ic's and the 2xR6015ANX + fuse.
                      Replace all the FETS for FGD4536TM , there are also fakes on ebay so check the reviews of the seller.

Do NOT buy 30F131/RJP30H2A and re-use the old RJP63G4.

https://www.hkinventory.com/p/d/FGD4536TM.htm
                      Last edited by Moreno83; 04-12-2018, 05:32 AM.
                      I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Thank you. Yes, it is possible that the DAF reads short because of the FETs.

I deiced to try and find a better source for the parts and I found most of them on a local supplier stock before I go any further. Clearly I will not go for the "kit" option anymore.
                        The local supplier is of somewhat medium trust since I have worked with them in the past (about 10 years ago ) and had no problems with them but back in those days I was going for parts that were still in production. AFAIK they only sell proper parts, not ebay/aliexpress like. They also have STTH30R04G diodes, in case I will need them as replacements... But they show GT30F131 in stock, so I am not so sure. Maybe they just had a big lot and never depleted it... Or they got them on aliexpress
                        So far I found the R6015ENX and FGD4536TM with them but I fail to find the driver transistors and IC's.
                        The transistors seem to be available at Farnell but the IC is nowhere to be found, except ebay and aliexpress, which I will not use if alternatives are available.
                        Anyone have an idea of a good source or proper replacement for this control chip BD8639FVM ?

Comment

I just found a TX-P42C3E with a broken panel. Looking at the schematics the SN board seems to have the same parts.
                          Would it make sense to buy this one and salvage the FETs from it? They should be original Panasonic. According to the owner there was no intervention to the set.
                          Price-wise it's a bit cheaper or similar than sourcing the individual parts myself, minus the hassle of choosing who to trust...

Comment

You can savely use the small ic's from ebay.

And yes you can use the same parts if the sc board is the same. Any 30 series will do.
                            I would not use your local supplier for 30f131
                            I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

Sort'of OffTopic until the parts from Flea-Bay arrive from the recommended vendor:
                              I managed to borrow one original 30F131 from a Panasonic authorized repair shop (borrow because the guy said he would not sell them for any amount) and take a picture for other people to see...
                              1: original part from my TV
                              2: Kit part (shitty fake)
                              3: Panasonic original replacement part

As you can see, the original part and the spare have the same Toshiba logo while the fake one has a different logo. Numbering and layout are different between them.
                              Also, the under-side is different, in the originals we can find a segment of plastic, while in the fake one the whole underside is copper.

I also measured the spare I borrowed with my DMM on diode mode and found that it shows NOTHING in either combination of G / E / C. This was a bit strange for me but the owner said that my DMM does not provide enough voltage for the part to start conducting in any way and this is normal.

PS: out of the three 30F131 fakes I had on my board on Q401-403, they all show different measurements: Q401 is fully open, Q402 is fully shorted and Q403 shows almost OK values for a normal transistor, but not a FET
                              Attached Files

Comment

Quick update: I found out that the P board did not blow this time, I just assumed it blew in my previous post but now I have checked both R6015ANX and the fuse, they are OK.

Indeed Moreno83, you were right, the diodes on the SN board check out OK after removing the FETs.

Further checks revealed no other component shorted or open, including driver transistors & IC's.
                                Managed to get my hands on 6 GT30F131's from the guy I mentioned in my previous post (after a lot of persuasion and some significant amount of cash) and I placed them in Q40X and Q42X places. Reinstalled the original RJP63G4.
                                Now to re-install the boards and see what happens next *fingers crossed*... stay tuned...
                                Last edited by WildPuppy; 04-23-2018, 05:50 AM.

Comment

People dont always believe me when i say they use fake parts. But i repaired alot of these models and i have been there using fake parts.

Good luck , hopefully the tv will run! Let me know.

Comment

It's alive! And looking good.
                                    Now, it's still a question of how long will it run for, since my last "record" was about 1 hour.
                                    I am running still with 1 part from the kit, the one under the heatsink, I think it was a DG302, the original is shorted.

Comment

I am going to pick up the same model this friday and i will make a how to repair thread.

Comment

Originally posted by WildPuppy View Post
                                        It's alive! And looking good.
                                        Now, it's still a question of how long will it run for, since my last "record" was about 1 hour.
                                        I am running still with 1 part from the kit, the one under the heatsink, I think it was a DG302, the original is shorted.
                                        How do you mean 1 part from the kit? It is best to use only genuine parts....

Comment

Working...
                                        X