LG 55lv5500 bad picture no sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 55lv5500 bad picture no sound

I have an LG 55LV5500-UA.ausyljr that has a scrambled picture and no sound. From what I have read other places I'm thinking that I need to replace the main/logic board. Am I on the right track for this? I didn't see any capacitors that were swollen or anything like that.
    Attached Files

Re: LG 55lv5500 bad picture no sound

No this model is known for faulty BGA connections on the mainboard. Take off the black heatsink off of the processor and heat up Ic 401 and 402. You can do this while the TV is on see if the picture straightens out.

Tcon board is fine. It's just doing what is told
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Just so I'm straight and do no further harm. When you say heat up Ic 401 & 402 are you talking about soldering them or just taking a heat gun at them? Thanks.

Comment

Heat gun. What I do is at the TV standing straight up so you can view the screen hit these two Ics with a bit of heat and then as you're watching the screen see if it straightens out

Comment

There is another ic hiding underneath that black heat sync. Try that one as well

Comment

Just finished hitting it with the heat gun and the picture is all clear. Thank you very much. Just curious, what is it about the heat that helps?

Comment

There are very small solder connections that break over time. Heating these up, reflows the solder, restoring the connections.

Comment

May not last long thou. This repair takes extensive time and the right amount of reflow. Let us know how long it lasts. Don't put this board in the oven! It doesn't fair well.

Comment

I had jumped the gun a little bit with my first reply that it was fixed. After I put it back together I had the same issue. So, I took it apart again and did some more heat and it has been running for a couple days now with no problems.

Comment

Heating a bit wil never fix a BGA chip, you need a reflowing, if you don't know what it is search the forum..

Comment

Even a reflow won't be a permanent repair. Reballing with leaded balls will be a much longer lasting fix.

Comment

Sometimes you get lucky. I have the 47 inch version of this TV same problem been working great for a year-and-a-half after the reflow

Comment

Hello! My LG 55lv5500 have no soud and dont recognize HDMI neither USB connection. Picture is fine. I remove the cover but looking main board Im not sure where to heat.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Take the 4 push in spring loaded pins out of the big black heatsink. Then peel off the rubber pad if yours has one. Heat the chip with a heat gun on low for about 45 seconds. Watch a youtube video on reflow of bga chip to be sure of the time and temp to do it.

Comment

Working...
                            X