Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50PK550-UD cannot be turn on

Hello Friends,

I have a 50” LG Plasma TV bought in 2010, the picture quality and audio are all good but it was died suddenly two week ago. I have tried to troubleshoot the problem by basic diagnose, components measurement and reading lots in Badcap Forum, but I am still wondering what I should do next step. Please help if any possible suggestions, Thanks!

TV Specifications:
    MODEL NO: 50PK550-UD; SVC CODE: 50PK550-UD.ACCALHR

Symptoms:
    Picture of the TV initially appeared unstable, and lasted about 2 minutes then died totally when it was turn on someday in two week ago. Waiting a while and plugging it on the wall again, the TV turn on with picture and audio but it died less 1 minute. Afterwards the TV can be turn on in about 3 second if it was left untouched for long time (disconnected from power). Otherwise the TV cannot be started but with red LED on with one relay clicking when applying power.

Basic diagnose:
    1. I have followed the “Troubleshooting Plasma TVs by tom66”, that is, disconnecting Y-sustain and Z-sustain then applying power, both testing results are same (i.e. no picture and no sound). So I think that the problem should come from the Power supply board (PCB: EAX61392501/8, PSU P/N: 60968801).
    2. By checkup the Power supply board there is not any defected soldering that is found on it.
    3. Some components measurement are listed below:
    • All fuses (F101, F302, F801) are good.
    • Resistors sound good (R305 = 0.7 Ω, R607 = 0.4 Ω, R613 = 0.4 Ω), and three white resistors (R927, 928 and 929) on top right are good also (≈10 Ω).
    • Diode 602 and 603 are good. I found that diode D304 to be a completely open both ways but it possibly because this is tested on board according a post from mustachio at https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...highlight=D304.
    4. Voltage measurements of the power supply connector going from power supply to main board are stable and are listed below:
    17V - It is 17.21V
    5.1V- It is 5.205V
    ERRROR_DET- It is 5.204V
    STBY – it is 5.176V
    AC_DET – it is 2.435V
    M_ON – it is 0.002V

5. I found the capacitor C802 on my PSU, but don't know how to measure it.

I have ordered a repair kit from ShopJimmy, but I wish to get more idea from Badcap before doing something, since I am pretty new to TV repairing.

Re: 50PK550-UD cannot be turn on

Disconnect everything from the PSU except the mainboard- what happens?
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

M-ON being 0v is an issue, disconnect mainboard and run test patterns via control board.
      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Hi TechGeek and ReeceyBurger123, thank you for quickly reply! I just re-test the voltages of the power supply connector under two states:

1. Disconnect everything from the PSU except the mainboard:
        17V - It is 17.21V
        5.1V- It is 5.205V
        ERRROR_DET- It is 5.205V
        STBY – it is 5.178V
        AC_DET – it is 2.437V
        M_ON – it is 0.002V
        The data above is almost same as the testing yesterday.

2. Disconnect everything from the PSU:
        17V - It is 17.24V
        5.1V- It is 5.222V
        ERRROR_DET- It is 5.222V
        STBY – it is 5.222V
        AC_DET – it is 0.000V
        M_ON – it is 0.000V

Comment

Please run the test patterns, seems like mainboard to me already.
          Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

Thank you ReeceyBurger123!

I just learn and run the test patterns:

Yes, with the mainboard disconnected I can see the test patterns. Does this means that the mainboard has problem? What should I do next?

Comment

yes you will need a new mainboard whats the part number from it?

Comment

The part number should be EAX61358603(1), it seems out of stocks everywhere.

Comment

Quick Google search turned up this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-0403B-EBR...-/261782607237
                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ezli View Post
                    The part number should be EAX61358603(1), it seems out of stocks everywhere.
                    is there any other numbers on stickers anywhere that start with ebr etc as you also need to match those too, Have you looked too see if anyone offeres a repair service for these boards?

Comment

Just type the model of the Tv in, Lg Plasma boards are mostly universal for the 50" 1080p sets as long as they have the same power connectors and are from a similar panel.

Comment

There is a sticker with barcode and strings "05EBR040-0001 65775302", "RH05G101L8". I have reflowed the mainboard last night (i.e. baked it in oven under 200°C about 10 min.), but it still does not work. I am going to buy a mainboard or repair it locally, and I will update if any of results. Thanks everybody's help!

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
                          Just type the model of the Tv in, Lg Plasma boards are mostly universal for the 50" 1080p sets as long as they have the same power connectors and are from a similar panel.
                          Thanks reece some handy information too know.

Comment

Working...
                          X