No announcement yet.

Panasonic TC-P54S2 plasma TV--won't turn on, originally 10 blinks, now 7 blinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic TC-P54S2 plasma TV--won't turn on, originally 10 blinks, now 7 blinks

Originally posted by JoeyB View Post
    Thanks--I never would have found that. In diode mode I got 1.194 or .753, depending on what order I put the leads, using the outer legs. In resistance mode I got 2.23 K either way.
    Well in a lot of cases that shorts so board must have some other issue which I'm not going to try and figure out.

All i can suggest is

installed SC - 7 blinks,

2 pairs of sd/su were boards used and confirmed good, same 7 blinks for both sets.

,isolated sd/su boards as per panasonic sd/su isolation test,

still 7 blinks, SC board is causing 7 blinks.

A-board confirmed good.

You can write as much or little of the above, up to you.

Comment

Re: Panasonic TC-P54S2 plasma TV--won't turn on, originally 10 blinks, now 7 blinks

Thanks a lot. I'm sending that one off tomorrow, and the replacement was already shipped today.

Comment

Well--partial success. I installed the new SC board, and now the TV turns on and stays on, and the sound is fine, but the picture only partially shows up, in squares of grainy red. In the attached photo, the bright area at the top is the reflection of a lamp; other than that the photo is an accurate representation of how the screen looks.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
        Attached Files

Comment

Well--partial success. I installed the new SC board, and now the TV turns on and stays on, and the sound is fine, but the picture only partially shows up, in squares of grainy red. In the attached photo, the bright area at the top is the reflection of a lamp; other than that the photo is an accurate representation of how the screen looks.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
          not , good. turn off.

check and make sure all panel ribbons are in correctly, check that the small white ribbon connector that join the su to sd is in place, try the other set of buffer boards. If still the same could still be bad SC.

is everything else connected including the SS board.

can you look at the sc and confirm board number and revision suffix or what is on the white sticker if it has one

Comment

Sorry to butt in Joey..could you do me a favor and check something on your set for me? With A6 disconnected from A board, can you check pins 9 and 10 of the socket for A6 on the board for resistance to ground? Thanks a million!

Comment

I'm about to leave for work, so I'll try these things this evening. Thank you both for the suggestions.

One thing to add: while the set was on, the picture gradually improved some, in the sense that the amount of black decreased and the amount of grainy red picture increased. It ended up with solid black horizontal bands alternating with horizontal bands of the grainy red picture. Overall more picture than black.

Comment

So...one step forward, one step back. I discovered a loose connector to the SS board, hidden underneath the A board. Now everything is great--except the picture has black horizontal lines running through it, as shown in the attached photo...
                Attached Files

Comment

So...one step forward, one step back. I discovered a loose connector to the SS board, hidden underneath the A board. Now everything is great--except the picture has black horizontal lines running through it, as shown in the attached photo...
                  you have very badly seated ribbons going from the panel to the sd/su. They need to be in straight, and all the way. they go in then a whisker more , you will feel them wedge in.

Only do this with TV off, the bad areas will align with the ribbon that is wrong. Take your time, be gentle and grab either side of the ribbon and insert keeping it perfectly straight, they may have notches to help show if either side is misaligned.

Comment

Thanks! I'll get to that tonight. In the meantime, will it hurt anything if my wife watches the TV today, or should it stay off until I fix it?

Comment

Thanks! I'll get to that tonight. In the meantime, will it hurt anything if my wife watches the TV today, or should it stay off until I fix it?
                      get it right first, unless you want to risk the SC board again

Comment

That did it! Thank you so much!

It's good as new, except for one thing--there's a slight buzzing noise whenever graphics are superimposed on the screen (like sports scores during the news, or a telephone number during a commercial). I've owned televisions before that did that, but I would swear that this one never did that before.

Thanks again. I wish I had found this site much earlier in the process!

Comment

Anyone have a list of needed transistors and diodes for a typical repair for the SC board?

Comment

Working...
                          X