Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-46Z4100 colored bars, solarization, and now green screen

Hello,

I have a Sony KDL-46Z4100 that is acting up. I turned it on about 5 days ago and saw a green pattern for a few seconds, and then the picture came in and I noticed many thin vertical multi-colored bars (maybe 5-10 pixels wide) and some gray/white ghosting. As I changed inputs, I also experienced solarization and crazy psychedelic looking colors. All of these effects were also applied to on screen displays. The sound was working fine.

I did a reset by holding the up arrow and power cycling, and the image was great for about 15 seconds and then it reverted back to dis-colorization. The first two pictures are after the power cycle didn't help 4 days ago. Yesterday, I turned it on again to try to get some more pictures, but now the screen is constantly in the green pattern that used to just be during startup (picture 3).

From reading around the web and a few youtube videos, I am suspecting the timing controller board (T-CON), but I would appreciate any other input or ideas. It seems that shopjimmy is out of this model's T-CON board, so I will have to rely on ebay. Anyone have suggestions for a reputable seller?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Re: Sony KDL-46Z4100 colored bars, solarization, and now green screen

Looks like a possible failed T-con for the solarized picture. For the lines it could be T-con as well as panel.

Need photos of the insides of your TV of all the boards.

I am assuming your T-con is the AUO optronics one here in the photo?

http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-55-46t...-con-board.htm

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I am unsure which exact T-CON board I need yet, but I see that shopjimmy is out of stock for all of them:
      Sony A-1564-648-A BT3 Board - Version 1 (1-878-182-11)
      Sony 1-857-253-11 T-Con Board
      Sony 1-857-085-11 (T400HW01 V3, 40T02-C04) T-Con Board
      Sony A-1564-648-A BT3 Board - Version 1-Rebuild

I will open it up tonight and get some pictures and part numbers for all the boards.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks, it will help us help you!

Comment

Well, I got it opened up pretty easily. One weird thing is that the T-Con board and the shield are attached. I removed the screws around the T-Con board, and went to pull off the shield, and the entire assembly started lifting up. This means that I must first disconnect all the cables, including the thing ribbon cables to the LCD panel, to get a look at the T-Con board, which I would prefer not to do yet. Can anyone discern which T-Con board I might need from the pictures? The tiny labels visible on the T-Con board reads:
          UT5546T02C02-84N-2068251-03570-07
          the number on the shield reads:
          72.46T02.003-0-CC1
          08409D

Pictures are (in order):
          "image-2": product label
          "image-1": inside overview
          "image-4": main board
          "image-5": power board
          "image-6": CFL control board?
          "image-8": T-Con Assembly
          "image-9": CFL control interface board?
          "image-7": LCD panel label
          Attached Files
          Last edited by flipthebits; 11-24-2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Pretty sure your T-con is the AUO Optronics I linked. And that has the as-15 gamma chip that has failed.

If you get the t-con seperated from the shield the gamma chip is the small chip on the upper right corner on the shop jimmy image.

You are going to need to know how to do SMD soldiering or take it to a place that can do the repair for you.

Comment

Yeah, that does look like my T-con. I was reading another thread, and when my TV was doing things besides the green screen, I was seeing colors that resemble the first images in this thread:
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28407

I think the final solution for tibi was a replacement main board. tom was suggesting that the shaper gradient in colors did not suggest a failure in the AS15-F gamma chip.

Any suggestions on sourcing that individual IC?

Comment

You will need to separate the t-con from the heat sink/metal shield, and see what sub text the chip is. AS-15 G,F, H, GH ect ect. I would replace the chip anyway they are one of the most common failures we see on this site as far as picture quality with Solarized, Ghosting ect.

Here is a photo of a Samsung with a failed as-15g chip, notice the colors are sharp and gradient and negative? the AS-15U chip got replaced and it was back to normal.

It might be the mainboard. AS-15 is the cheaper quick fix and verification I would suggest first before dropping money on a replacement mainboard just yet.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Shinju; 11-25-2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

AS-15 is unlikely to cause this.
                  Looks like bad/loose LVDS, or corrupt panel setting, or bad main board, or possibly bad T-con but only if it's a 100Hz/200Hz type T-con.
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

My TV is a 120 Hz model. I will try to re-seat all of the cables from the main board to the T-con to the panel this evening. Is there a way to reset the panel settings? I tried the up-arrow power cycle, but that only worked briefly. Additionally, because the screen is in this solid green state, I can not go into the service menu and see anything. Maybe if it is the main board, and I could get it to boot from USB I could see something or make progress?

If I cant get any progress this evening, my co-worker is really big into electronics repair and has a lot of experience soldering TQFP 42s, and I also work in a building with a bunch of soldering stations and such, so I will try the replacement IC next. If that fails, I guess I will consider a main board replacement or craigslist. Black Friday is coming up, and I expect there will be people selling their recently replaced sets soon.

thanks again

Comment

Well, do this. Take gamma voltage readings on the t-con and post them here, tom has a spreadsheet to determine good/bad voltages. You will see little copper pads listed with Vgamma 1-40 for example. text might be different but you will see them.

Comment

I got a picture of the T-con with the cover off. It is model number:
                        40T02-C04
                        T400HW01 V3 Ctrl BD

I spied the AS15 under the small thermal paste in the corner of the board near the white bar code. It is an AS15-F.

I re-seated both sides of the LVDS cable and the two ribbon cable connections to the T-con board. I can not reach the ribbon cables' connection to the LCD without more disassembly. The re-seating of the cables had no affect, and when the TV was on I tried flexing the cables and touching them a bit to see any affect and there was only a small amount of fuzzyness fluctuation behind the green pattern.

I then probed the VGAMA nodes 1-12:

12: 0.37 V
                        11: 2.22 V
                        10: 3.46 V
                        9: 4.18 V
                        8: 4.51 V
                        7: 6.09 V
                        6: 7.07 V
                        5: 9.16 V
                        4: 9.46 V
                        3: 10.28 V
                        2: 12.98 V
                        1: 15.20 V

I think I read before that a monotonically increasing voltage on these nodes indicates a working AS15?

So, does this indicate a main board problem?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Gamma voltages look OK to me. Voltage can increase or decrease but it must be monotonic. Up or down, not both.
                          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

So should I be looking at a replacement for the main board?

Comment

Just looked closer at the "BU" board.

The model number on that board near the LVDS cable is:
                              1-876-561-13

The thin small white tag's first row says:
                              A1506066C A0612 3352

The thin small white tag's second row says:
                              866322 308C F1 04

My panel number is:
                              T460HW02 V.4

The combination of 1-876-561-13 and A1506066C match this board on shopjimmy:
                              http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-a-1641-959-a-bu-board.htm

But the panel number is slightly off:
                              T460HW02 V.401 vs T460HW02 V.4

This part says it is serial number specific, but the serial number range does not include my serial number:

Where does the first group of numbers that start and end with A come from? What is the /S ending on the KDL-46Z4100/S? Is this the wrong board for me?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Comment

Upon further research on ShopJimmy I believe the right main board for my TV is:
                                SONY A-1547-095-A

I have ordered one off ebay, because ShopJimmy is out of stock, and I will follow up with the results.

Comment

Working...
                                X