Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct TV HD Satellite Receiver H21-200 Cap replacment

Hello

I was hoping someone might be able to help me with this . I have a Direct TV HD H21-200 satellite receiver that won't power up. I have tested the power supply and know its good . I have found one bad cap on mother board cp54 samxon 1000uf 10v by visual inspection showing to be swollen and replaced it . I am suspecting there are more bad caps but there are no others showing any type signs of failure. Does anyone know which caps are the most common to go on these units. I would much rather start with these than replace all caps on the board .

Thanks

Iggy

Re: Direct TV HD Satellite Receiver H21-200 Cap replacment

Welcome, iggy57!

A picture of the problem would be helpful.
    Is the bad Samxon capacitor a GF series unit?
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Here is a few pics of the bad cap that I was able to see was bad by the bulge on top. The problem I think is there are others that are bad but have nothing showing that they are. Odd thing on this board is this bad Samxon is the only Samxon cap on the board . The rest of them are all KMG and CapXon caps. I inspected the board before replacing the said Samxon cap and it looked like it was a factory install.
      Attached Files

Comment

I see that it is a Samxon GF Series unit, a known bad series, and I recommend Chemi-Con KY/KZM/KZN (or other Japanese manufacturers' equivalent) as a replacement.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Clear focused pictures of both boards (main and PSU) would help.

KMG caps are reported here to be a bad series. They can be bad without bloating and they don't tolerate heat well.

Capxon is probably the worst brand for reliability and quality.

Having said that, I personally run equipment at home with both KMG and Capxon without any problems (for experimentation purposes).

The PC I am writing this with has all KMG caps on the motherboard. One KMG cap was bloated so I only replaced that one and it is fixed.

PS. What voltage readings are you getting on the power supply?
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            Clear focused pictures of both boards (main and PSU) would help.

KMG caps are reported here to be a bad series. They can be bad without bloating and they don't tolerate heat well.

Capxon is probably the worst brand for reliability and quality.

Having said that, I personally run equipment at home with both KMG and Capxon without any problems (for experimentation purposes).

The PC I am writing this with has all KMG caps on the motherboard. One KMG cap was bloated so I only replaced that one and it is fixed.

PS. What voltage readings are you getting on the power supply?

I am unable to get a photo like you are asking at this time but will try on the week end .

I took the voltage reading you were asking for and was surprised at my findings . Here is what I came up with .

From the socket on the power supply >>

12v reading 13.63
            12v reading 13.57
            5v reading 2.28
            5v reading 2.29
            5v reading 2.28
            5v reading 2.28

I am now suspecting the power supply is bad !

Comment

Originally posted by iggy57 View Post
              5v reading 2.28
              5v reading 2.29
              5v reading 2.28
              5v reading 2.28

I am now suspecting the power supply is bad !
              When people report that the power supply is good, I always ask for readings.

If 5V is reading 2.28, nothing is going to work.

Since most people leave their TV receiver/PVR on 24/7, it is not surprising that the 5V standby rail fails within a few years if the caps are crap quality. I have taken apart 3 PVRs now and all of them from the 2008 era have obvious bad caps on the 5V standby rail.
              Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-14-2014, 02:50 PM.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

PS. In post #5 at 1AM in the morning, I incorrectly wrote KMG when I should have written KZG.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Nice work . There was power coming from the supply but I never even thought to check to see if it was the right voltage .

Now that we have narrowed that down any advice as to what could be gone on this power supply and what I should be looking for to start.

I included some pics sorry they are not exactly what you were asking for in your earlier post but it really all I have to work with .

The only real problem spot I can see on this power supply is @ PPDF1 , it looks like it has been getting very hot where it goes through the board .

Thanks for the help.

Iggy
                  Attached Files

Comment

There are 6 (5 brown and 1 black) capacitors on the secondary side. One or more of them could be on the 5V rail.

Since the connector (PJP1) shows at least 2 voltages that I can see (5 and 12) the capacitors that are rated 16V and higher are likely on the 12V rail and the ones that are rated 10V and lower are for the 5V rail.

A continuity check with the + leg of the capacitor to PJP1's voltage rail will verify what capacitor is on what rail.

My guess is that the black one is not a United Chemicon capacitor. If it is rated 10V or lower, then it is on the 5V rail. The heat from the 5V transistor/heatsink could have dried up this capacitor without any signs of obvious bloating.

You can measure the DCV across the legs on the black capacitor to see what the voltage is. If it is 2.28V, I would replace it as a starting point. Once it is replaced, check the 5V rail again.
                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-14-2014, 04:38 PM.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for all the help.

Can I use a 1200uf 10v to test this and if it works get the right size cap which is all i have at the moment ?
                      Its calling for a 2200uf 10v.
                      I would def swap it out with the right size after testing !!

Thanks again.

Comment

That Voltage reading on the 5V output does not make sense, that transformer has two windings, one is for the 5V rectifier circuit and another winding is for the 12V rectifier, so to have one (5V) winding to have < than half of the output spec without having the other output (12V) to also drop down to < than half does not look right. The feedback signal for regulating the feedback will more likely to be sensed on 5V lines, so you should really verify that 5V output again. What Voltage do you get without having any other board connected?
                        Rectifier PPDF1 looks like it got hot, you may want to check also.
                        Good clear pictures of the bottom side of the board?
                        Also what are the labels for the voltage of that output connector? I can see 12V, GND, P_RST, 5V.
                        Last edited by budm; 11-14-2014, 05:09 PM.
                        Never stop learning
                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by iggy57 View Post
                          Can I use a 1200uf 10v to test this and if it works get the right size cap which is all i have at the moment ?
                          Its calling for a 2200uf 10v.
                          On the PVRs that I have opened, they also use a 2200uF 10V cap. I used a replacement 1800uF 6.3V and it works fine.

For testing, yes you can use a 1200uF 10V cap.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Without doing any replacing of any parts I have taken voltage reading from the power supply my findings are >

With power supply connected to mother board >

From the socket on the power supply @ mother board >>

12v reading 13.63
                            12v reading 13.57
                            5v reading 2.28
                            5v reading 2.29
                            5v reading 2.28
                            5v reading 2.28

From the socket on the power supply disconnected from mother board >>

12v reading 13.67
                            12v reading 13.66
                            5v reading 5.03
                            5v reading 5.03
                            5v reading 5.02
                            5v reading 5.04

Comment

Pictures of the main board will help.

One possible way to test the 5V on the power board is to connect an external device, acting as a load, that requires 5V and see what the voltage is. If it sags, then the problem is with the power board. If it stays solid 5V, then the problem is on the main board.
                              Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-14-2014, 06:26 PM.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

These are not the best but all I have to work with at this time .
                                Attached Files

Comment

Bottom of Main board .
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Pictures are not clear enough for trouble shooting - has something been spilled on the
                                    main board - really bad marks near the connector.
                                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Sorry about the pics. I have been trying to get better shots but with no luck. I will try to get better ones ASAP I know it's a real pain for those of you trying too help. Nothing spilled on board that's factory crap.

Thanks for helping

Comment

resolder the rectifier diodes and anything else on the psu that either gets hot or is bolted to a heatsink.

Comment

Working...
                                        X