Samsung PN60E6500EFXZA no power or standby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PN60E6500EFXZA no power or standby

The other day I was watching TV and all of a sudden my power strip turned off, turns out the circuit breaker was tripped some how. When power was restored I plugged the TV in and it made a loud buzzing sound for a second and then died. I don't get a standby light or anything. I took the back off and looked at the power supply board thinking that was the problem, and I did see a small burn mark on the back of the board. Thinking that was the problem I got a new board, but my TV still doesn't turn on.

I was hoping somebody here could help me try and figure out what is wrong and if it is something I can fix. I attached a picture of the power supply and the model number is BN44-00513A.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung PN60E6500EFXZA no power or standby

well my first question with is this the new board or the old board?I would check the pin out voltages on that then test if it could be your main board. if you read your pinout charts and short out the on off switch to turn on the board and short out your inverter on pin you can get the board to turn on the screen and test the supply. Then you know its the main board.
    I'm not sure what your level is. But if you don't know where the charts are they are next to the ribbon cable ends On your board which I can see in the picture and it should list pins one through 20 and whether or not there is, no connection, voltage or gnd.

on most of my samsung boards I short 1 and 3 for power on.
    sigpic
    Anything can be fixed with enough TIME and enough MONEY

Comment

I'm fairly new to this but work in consumer electronics and see people doing this kind of stuff all the time so I think I can figure it out with some guidance. I just got a multimeter and started testing parts. It turns out the fuse in the bottom left corner of the picture is blown on both boards. So does that indicate a problem on some other board?

I see the on the pinout chart the on switch and it matches up with your suggested 1 and 3 pins. What is the inverter pin though?

Comment

The blown fuses could have been from the surge on off. Replace them or short them(like we do lol)and see what happens. I use a piece of solder wire because it will melt if its too hot from amp flow.
        sigpic

Comment

DON'T SHORT A FUSE! WTF? That is the stupidest thing you can do. You want to blow a crater sized hole in whatever's shorted, and send shrapnel flying out of the PSU? Because that's one easy way to do that.

Brentosmith, since both your new board and old board have blown fuses they are both defective. It is likely the seller did not test the board when it was pulled, so you will have to send the board back for a refund and get another one... hoping that the seller tests them next time (go for a different seller if you can)
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks tom, I did plug the new board in to the tv first before I tested it. Is it possible that some other component on my tv could cause that fuse to blow, or does that indicate that the problem is definitely on the psu? I'd hate to send it back if the problem was mine and not theirs.

Comment

If there was such a fault, you would have heard a loud "pop" from the fuse. Regardless it's essentially impossible for any attached board to blow a fuse on the power board - the protection circuit would kick in well before then.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Any recommendations on a trusted company to buy these parts from? Almost every place I see them listed has this part out of stock.

Comment

I found 2 sites that look legit to me, anybody know anything about samsungparts.com or partstore.com? I wish I would have found those earlier, the company I bought the first board from is out of China and I'm starting to doubt that I'll get my money back for it.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                    DON'T SHORT A FUSE! WTF? That is the stupidest thing you can do. You want to blow a crater sized hole in whatever's shorted, and send shrapnel flying out of the PSU? Because that's one easy way to do that.

Brentosmith, since both your new board and old board have blown fuses they are both defective. It is likely the seller did not test the board when it was pulled, so you will have to send the board back for a refund and get another one... hoping that the seller tests them next time (go for a different seller if you can)
                    I got to disagree tom66. I didn't say use aluminum foil lol. Solder wont blow a board
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechOp View Post
                      I got to disagree tom66.
                      Let me see....25.130 posts and has helped thousands here with SOLID advise and knowledge against 6 posts and suggest to solder a fuse holder shut..

I'm getting the popcorn ready
                      Proud owner of dozens of broken TV's and many,many,many boards.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TechOp View Post
                        I got to disagree tom66. I didn't say use aluminum foil lol. Solder wont blow a board
                        Fuses are cheap, new eyes aren't. Fusing current of some wires is surprisingly high, and without a protective ceramic case, you could have a molten metal wire explode towards you. It is not a matter of sizing the wire right, there is tons of engineering that goes into making fuses precise and safe.

Comment

Originally posted by brentosmith View Post
                          I found 2 sites that look legit to me, anybody know anything about samsungparts.com or partstore.com? I wish I would have found those earlier, the company I bought the first board from is out of China and I'm starting to doubt that I'll get my money back for it.
                          ShopJimmy is usually good, but pricey. ModusLinkPTV expensive but also good, Tri State Module and Recycled TV Parts I've heard some good reviews from. Just the best place to get it from is somewhere that offers a return/refunds policy on your same country.

Comment

Originally posted by brentosmith View Post
                            I've purchased boards from both of those places, both are fine.

Comment

TechOp, do you want to fry the board of yourself putting solder in the fuse holder, amateur lol.

Comment

Fuses rarely make noise.

Comment

If there was such a fault, you would have heard a loud "pop" from the fuse. Regardless it's essentially impossible for any attached board to blow a fuse on the power board - the protection circuit would kick in well before then.
                                  Fuses Rarely make any noise. NEVER Short out a fuse. Replace only.

Comment

I have heard enough fuses pop. They are very loud, unless they fail under very low load. If they fail due to a short circuit, they make a very loud noise.

Comment

I have heard enough fuses pop. They are very loud, unless they fail under very low load. If they fail due to a short circuit, they make a very loud noise.
                                      I have only been doing this for 38 years with a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering. 3AG & type F fuses glass or ceramic are nearly silent when they blow. Glass fuses may emit light in large amperages. They may may make some noise if under high strain. But A good tech would detect such a short immediately. So I am unsure what you are referring to Tom.
                                      If you are HEARING fuses pop it makes me wonder why you put the fuse in the circuit in the first place. I will ASSUME you were using the correct size fuse(s) for the application ???

OLD Joke:
                                      Customer entered a TV repair shop and asks for ONE 6 Amp fuse.
                                      The Shop Owner Replies: Sir, that's a hefty fuse to blow. Its likely that if you put in another fuse, that one too will blow.
                                      Customer says; Then sell me TEN 6 Amp fuses !

hahaha

Back to the topic:
                                      the power supply PCB is hard to find for this Samsung TV and its expensive. For those who are qualified their is a kit available.

http://www.ohmsupplies.co.uk/KIT317-...-PS60E6500EUXX

http://www.accuratetvrepair-414777-0072.com/

Comment

Use a series lightbulb aka dim bulb tester if you are worried about wasting fuses during testing, shorting it with wire is a bad idea, solder or otherwise.

As for the PSU here, why not try to troubleshoot it? If it's just the primary fuse that's blown it may well be something easy, like a shorted bridge rectifier.
                                        Last edited by Agent24; 11-06-2014, 08:49 PM.
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X