Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PS50A plasma screen issue

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some of your insights with regards to a strange screen issue I'm seeing on my Samsung PS50A plasma screen. It worked fine when I last turned it off, but yesterday when I turned it on, it went straight to a weird screen, which I would describe as "black and white only, with random horizontal black lines across the screen, in more or less fixed positions". I still have sound, and the TV is still responding well to the remote. You'll find attached some pictures for your reference... Note that I do have some color when I switch to a channel without signal (see attached picture).

Maybe good to know is that we just had a few hot days outside (30+ degrees) where I live, and the TV is standing directly in front of a window. It's the only external influence I can identify at the moment, that could've caused something.

I've read the plasma troubleshooting guide, but unfortunately didn't find a conclusive answer (yet). I've done the following so far, with no results:

- Issue persists on all channels and input sources
    - Power cycled the TV multiple times
    - Verified fuses on the X sus and Y sus boards
    - Reseated the main connectors between the different boards
    - Visual inspection with back panel removed - I found one slightly bulged cap on the X/Z sus board, but I'm not sure it might be causing the issue?

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome! Thanks a lot!
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung PS50A plasma screen issue

This fault is likely X-main. That cap is very bad. Have you checked if the fuse near the cap (green thing) is OK?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Tom, thank you so much for your prompt reply.

I did not check the fuse before, but I just grabbed my multimeter and the fuse seems blown. Do you reckon I can buy a replacement fuse + cap in my local hardware store, and it will solve the issue? Or do you think the board in its entirety is busted? I've attached a closer picture of the X main board, in case it helps. It all looks quite good to me, except for the buldging cap...
      Attached Files

Comment

I think it's worth a shot to replace the fuse and cap. If it does blow the fuse again you will probably have to do a more in depth repair or replace the whole board.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi Tom,

I replaced the cap and fuse, but the issue persists unfortunately. No improvement noticed... One thing I noted is that the fuse is fine now, i.e. it didn't blow again immediately after switching on the system again.

Do you have any more suggestions about what I could try more? I'm ready to try a more in depth investigation in case you do. I have access to probably whatever tools I'd need. Are there any volt measurements on the X-main board that could help pinpoint the faulty part of the board?

Comment

Does anyone have an idea what else I could try? Thanks!

Comment

Can you see a Ve test point on the X-main? What does that test at?

Comment

Hi Tom, I'm measuring 100.6V at the VE test point...

Comment

Anyone any further ideas? Does the Ve voltage (100.6V) seem alright to you?

Comment

That Ve voltage is good.
                    Can you test the transistors on the heatsink on the X-main -- do you know how to test them?
                    Do you have access to an oscilloscope?

Comment

I don't have immediate access to an oscilloscope, however I might be able to use one at work...

How big do you estimate the chance it's related to X-main? I found some used/refurbished boards on Ebay for about 40 euros...

Comment

There is a small but non-zero chance the control board is causing this, as we had a very old Samsung plasma on here with all the symptoms of a bad X-main.

In the end it turned out a small SMD resistor on the control board was open circuit, so the X-main was receiving the incorrect control signals. One in a million occurrence though.

I'd say X-main is a fair bet. Really you would need to test the X-main installed in the set so you'd need to be able to borrow the scope.

Comment

I have the same problem (posted separately here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=467280). I've replaced the XMain but to not avail. The problem remains exactly the same.

Comment

Working...
                          X