Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung flicker - BN44-00932T board or else?

Collapse
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung flicker - BN44-00932T board or else?

I picked up this TV that the prior owner said - just died.

Tested the fuse - burnt. A dead capacitor is visible too on the hot side (CP801). Got the replacement power board (cheaply - used). Replaced the board - the TV turned ON!

Now, about a month later (yesterday) I noticed the left side of the screen was flickering from time to time. That was already happening with the antenna input, not through HDMI.

Also, some glitchiness with a Fire stick on HDMI3 - I hit an app with quick dark screen in stick, the TV goes - no input. Then I had to choose the stick as the input again. Tried unplugging, even factory reset, still flicker, but Firestick dropping out disappeared. Then turning on Fire stick - flicker, switch back to antenna, still flicker. Turn off with remote / on, antenna does not flicker. A few times like that. Switch to stick - immediate flicker. Lots of intermittent flicker.

A member of the household starts watching a longer program after a bit of time - and no more flicker for now.

This was a rather wet week around here, so probably in-house humidity came up to good 70%.My theory now is that something adsorbed moist - and now dried up.

LED flicker seems to implicate the power board, but the HDMI input glitches are farther from the power board, although, they did happen as the screen turned dark.

I don't see many components around the LED connector, so moist issues would likely happen in the connector itself. The first pic is the stock, the 2nd is my actual replacement board.

With TV only used casually, attached to a wall, and having a clipped back cover, I'd probably just leave it for observation.

But any thoughts what could be happening? If it's the connectors - I could probably clean them to avoid future corrosion. But how? i thought I seated the board fully and properly, but who knows ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-06-04-22-50-59.shopjimmy-bn44-00932t-top__41203_rotate.png
Views:	45
Size:	4.88 MB
ID:	3265058

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views:	396
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	3265057
  • Answer selected by fixit007 at 05-05-2024, 01:09 PM.

Turn the backlights down to 70%. It shouldn't flicker anymore. Probably a led going bad.

Comment

Test backlights, use led tester and see if one line has less voltage use then the other. Need model of tv not power board. But I'm gonna say LEDs need testing

Comment

I agree with EazyBone. Sounds like backlights for sure. Unplug mainboard from psu and see if the lights flicker after sometime or stay on without issues.

Comment

Many thanks!!! Appreciate the ideas! So sounds like everyone is very positive its not the power board?

Full TV model is this: UN65RU7300FXZA

For now it does not flicker at all - so no point in testing anything, until it comes back.

Comment

PSU, probably not. It's likely the backlights are going bad. If I were you I would change them before more damage is done to the diffuser which may have already occurred.

Comment

Turn the backlights down to 70%. It shouldn't flicker anymore. Probably a led going bad.

Comment

Originally posted by EazyBone View Post
                PSU, probably not. It's likely the backlights are going bad. If I were you I would change them before more damage is done to the diffuser which may have already occurred.

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                OK, great!!!

For what the TV is used for I'll probably let it slowly die I guess. Sadly, while I waited for the power board, my little child decided to climb in the area, and dropped the TV on the carpet floor. It was a slow drop, by a drop nonetheless. No immediate damage, but I guess maybe latent one. Also, opening the backside was a bit of a harsh process - given all the clips.

These are 1 time use devices - not repair friendly.

Comment

Working...
                X