Sceptre 32"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sceptre 32"

Please note my knowledge is limited, so don't assume I know what your abbreviations mean, dumb down explanations. I don't have anything other than a basic voltmeter, and I did some research on this forum but am no expert.

My TV is a Sceptre 32" 720p, X320BV-HD. The psu is a Megmeet MP116 RVE:1.4.

My TV powers up (blue power light)to the startup screen and then clicks off, when it does so the standby light is lit(red). After it shuts off a few moments later I hear another click... almost like a reset or maybe a second power down?

I found two CAP's that show failure(bulge), at the row of 4 in a line. I'm planning on replacing all four in that line. They are close to that heat sink.

Replacement caps are same V and same uF, all Panasonic FR and are as follows:
    Two are, EEU-FR1A102LB
    CAP ALUM 1000UF 10V 20% RADIAL

One, EEU-FR1E471
    CAP ALUM 470UF 25V 20% RADIAL

One, EEU-FR1V471
    CAP ALUM 470UF 35V 20% RADIAL

After I replace the bad cap's I'm planning on increasing the airflow over the psu to help remove excess heat.

After removing back.

Close up of 4 bad CAPS

Planning on hooking fan up to extra 12v or maybe the 5v. They both seem to be switched on and off with the tv.

Fan placement will be on the back of the TV, air flow will be out of TV to "draw" out the heat.

Increasing the airflow of the vents around the hot areas.

What the vents looked like before modification.

What are your thoughts? Would the extra load of the fan be too much? The fan is a 12v and draws .3A , would it be a bad idea to put this 12v fan on the 5v pin? Reason for thinking of 5v is so the fan runs at a lower RPM which would keep it quiet.
    Attached Files

Re: Sceptre 32"

This will save me a bunch of money in replacement if this works. And I feel the modifications in cooling will help to make it last if it is a flawed design.

Comment

Oh yea, the old capacitors that I will be replacing are CapXon, from what I read on this forum they are crap.

Should I go and replace every single capacitor on this power supply? I only see two that have the bulge, the other two next to them I'm just assuming.
      Last edited by amxman; 11-19-2013, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Ok those 2 caps are definitely bad, can you turn flash off and take a shot of the 4 caps from the side so i can see the tops?

The symptoms you describe are commonly known as "stuck in standby" and are most commonly caused by bad caps.

Should be no need to add that fan and TBH I wouldn't start adding things to the circuits, PSU's are switching circuits and changing things within the circuit can cause unwanted effects... even the slight change using a DMM (Digitial multimeter) can trip switches!
        Last edited by newtothis; 11-19-2013, 10:53 PM.

Comment

I'll take a picture, maybe I'll just cut some slots or drill some holes in the area of the psu instead of the fan.

Even though there are two slots for the 12v pin (one empty) and two for the 5v (one empty) I cant add a computer fan to these? I did notice that there is a space on the main board for 2.1 center channel amp, even though the parts are not soldered in, wouldn't this mean the psu may have extra power for this option on the board?

I don't really want to but maybe I could find a TV like mine with the 2.1 center channel amp and try and find the part number on the psu for that TV to see if they are different.

Thoughts?

Comment

Another question... I see on the PSU "COLD" and "HOT"..... are they marking where the heat is and where it is cool, or does "HOT" mean always powered, like don't touch when plugged in?

Comment

COLD - NOT DEADLY VOLTAGES!

HOT - DEADLY VOLTAGES!

There should never be any need to add fans, drill holes etc. Read up on the basic workings of a switching PSU and you will understand that slight changes within a circuit can have unwanted effects. When the 2.1 is added there are other components that are added as well... IC's, Diodes, Resisters etc... the circuit will then run correctly at the engineers specs.

Please make sure you get some basic information on PSU's so you know the difference between what can kill you and what can't... even benign looking objects like heat sinks can give you a nasty jolt and possibly cause you to involuntary touch something that can kill you!

Just a warning

Comment

My camera is acting up, I cant get a good picture, but here is another one. You can see the two that are bulging and the next two I'm going to replace just because I want to. I don't think they look bad but I think with them being by the heat sink they could be ready to fail too, being that they are crappy CapXon's.

Ok I will not add a fan, unless it has its own external power source. But I'm still going to add holes or something to allow the heat to escape better.
                Attached Files

Comment

Well yeah they are CapXon so get rid!

Hopefully that's all you need to do to get the set working

Comment

Not planning on replacing every single cap just the 4 in the line.

If the 4 doesn't fix it, then I'll replace every one, minus the big one.

Comment

It worked. What a sense of accomplishment! I drilled some holes in the plastic back to add some extra ways for the heat to escape and cool air to enter. I hope it holds up.

Comment

I hope that someone who has a sceptre TV like mine is able to fix it if it fails like mine did. I hope they do a search and find my thread and use it as I used other threads I found on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by amxman View Post
                          Not planning on replacing every single cap just the 4 in the line.

If the 4 doesn't fix it, then I'll replace every one, minus the big one.
                          Hello, I have a Sceptre X322BV-Hdr8WX2262P71, it comes on, the logo shows for a second then goes black, did you replace all four or just the two that were bulging? and what brand did you buy and from where?

Comment

Low ESR capacitors rated at 108 deg. Panasonic capacitors are good replacements.
                            Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Working...
                            X