Samsung PN50A510 P3FXZA Plasma Cycling On/Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung PN50A510 P3FXZA Plasma Cycling On/Off

what about the tant cap on the back of the control board tom, think it might be going bad? mine had a greenish pic when the cap was failing and sometimes would restart itself.

Comment

Props to kevinm on the 47uF C102 replacement. My TV is 8 years old, I have the PN50A550 plasma and started to power cycle 5 months ago. Mine would take about 3-4 tries to power on with scrambled images or sometimes a screeching audio before it finally turns on. I also noticed that it occurs more often when it is colder. I touched up solder in all the riveted parts and large parts on the power board and that didn't help. And I also did not have any of the common bulging caps on any of the boards. Was about to give up when I saw this thread and figured I'd give it one last try. Ordered the Panasonic part. The part was smaller than the solder pad but still worked. It's been a few days and hasn't power cycled since! Thanks again everyone!

Comment

IN NEED OF HELP!!

I had the same problem as everyone else, but I guess one person has to mess up XD When I was soldering I got some solder on r107. Well now to the point of this post. Can someone please help me with info on r107. The uF, volt, and stuff because I need a new r107. Next question. Is there a smaller cap for c102? maybe I got the wrong one. This is what I got. "cap tant smt 47uf 10v 20%" is that 20% something to do with size? is there a 5% or something? because the one I got is like 3 times the size than the original cap. Last question. Now if i cant repair or get the r107 cap. Does anyone know where I can get the board I need inexpensively. The board I need is BN94-02079b. Hope someone can help, and thank you.

Comment

r usually stands for a resistor not a capacitor.

Comment

Thank you, now can you help me with the info i need Y/N

Comment

on page 2 if you zoom in on the pic the resistor says 180 but im not sure on the size of the part a more experienced member can advise with a replacement part and a link for you.
              Last edited by vinceroger69; 03-25-2015, 03:20 PM.

Comment

thanks for the help, time to do a little research XD

Comment

The repair service for these boards:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141598331782

Comment

Just wanted to chime in that I've got the same Samsung set
                    and replacing C102 with the Digikey part worked for me as well.

Insane to me that such a seemingly insignificant part
                    can have such a massive influence on the function of the set.

Thank you so much.

It was the first SMD component I've ever replaced,
                    though I've done a fair few through-hole capacitors and whatnot in the past.
                    It was a little nerve-wracking, but I got it done,
                    just not the prettiest job.

Comment

PN50A550

I spent hours piercing together the info I found all in one place. PS_ON to ground, Pins 3 & 4 on logic board, and C102. All in one thread! So I joined.
                      Could somebody place a pic or refer to earlier pics already posted as to the polarity of C102 mounting? I'm going to try a few parts I already have kicking around rather than order.
                      My hunch is this is a filter cap for the audio driver mounted just above it?

Comment

Another PN50A550 repaired by replacing C102!

After reviewing this thread I found all the info I needed.
                        Like a earlier poster on this thread I elected to go
                        with parts on hand. I happened to have an Phillips 63 volt 50uF RADIAL cap.

As for removing the old C102, I could not find my iron with a tip small enough. I know this must make some of more experienced SMD hands shudder, I
                        crushed it, cleaned the pads soldered in the radial cap with heat shrink on the leads just long enough to have it poke out just to the side of the board.

Comment

Originally posted by electromech View Post
                          Another PN50A550 repaired by replacing C102!

As for removing the old C102, I could not find my iron with a tip small enough.
                          Actually a larger tip works much better, transfers more heat to the work area. I use a 2.4mm chisel tip for almost everything, even ICs with a 0.5mm pitch.
                          ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

This thread has helped me too. I don't think I would have figured this out on my own. TV was doing the typical clicking on/off, self test worked. The only 47uf cap I had was some generic pos electrolytic which came with my breadboard kit. Tried it just to verify it was the problem before ordering the correct part. Powered on but with all types of colors on the screen, cycled off after about 30 seconds, then came back on with snow and all functionality. Good enough for me, correct part is on order.

Comment

Actually, my iron has a similar tip. I was worried about to much heat flowing into R107, which was extremely close to C102. I was afraid I might throw the resistance value off by the heat on the body of the resistor. I have a weller iron as my mainstay with a magnostrictive heating element which really runs too hot for this kind of work.
                              As for the cap I chose to use,I powered up on a bench supply two electrolytics and a
                              poly? and tested for leakage current. the electrolytics settled down to about 1 mA at 15V, but the poly? dropped down to 1 uA I'm going to button up the set and run with it.
                              I figured a cap of that value was not that critical. probably filtered the supply rail for the speaker driver chip. Could be wrong. set powered up perfectly.
                              I "assumed" that C102 was leaking too badly and was pulling down a supply rail.
                              An interesting note: I found a self tapping course thread screw in place calling for a machine screw, and visa-verse when I pulled off the back cover.

Comment

And I would have never attempted to trouble shoot this set with out all the knowledge of
                                the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by electromech View Post
                                  I was worried about to much heat flowing into R107, which was extremely close to C102.
                                  Probably would have to look at data sheets for resistors that size to get any real idea of how much heat they can take, but I'm sure they get hotter during reflow than they would from heating a nearby component. I removed mine with two irons, kind of like using hot tweezers but requires two hands.

Comment

You are probably right. When I first got into electronics it was just before the first integrated circuit had come out. It was still discreet transistors that ruled the day. The fanciest electronics in a car was the relay. Back then, I learned heat KILLS. I should know that electronic components are much more robust these days. reflow temperatures of reflow soldering would have destroyed every component on a board back then.
                                    I guess I've dated myself here.

Comment

Wow, you must be OLD!

Comment

Thanks for all this info. I had the cycling on & off problem & had the local TV repair shop replace bad caps last week (30 days warranty). But I still have the green snow problem until the TV warms up. Will take it back to them this week & tell them about the C102 try to get them to fix it.

Comment

Thank you for showing where the cap was located! I looked and looked , Mine was not marked.

Comment

Working...
                                          X