Lg 50pz550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lg 50pz550

This is a chained energy recovery set, and both boards may need simultaneous replacement. One board can kill the other. Like the thin Samsung plasmas.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi Tom thanks for the input. By chained recovery energy, do you mean since the z sus connects directly to the y sus that one or the other may be fried out? Now why would that happen? What's causing it to spark?

On a side note, after the z sus sparked I disconnected it from the y board and after a few minutes attempted to turn on the TV. For maybe 2-3 seconds it powered on without the z sus and noticed the led on the logic control board turned green then everything went off and now having the repeated symptoms.

I did notice though.. The z sus board I ordered was a bit different from the original one that came with the TV. And I think in comparison was missing a component. Could that have caused the 2nd spark? I'd like to think the 3 y sus boards that I bought are still good...

Comment

Use your meter on ohms. Check Y and Z board. Place meter leads across the gnd and power pins on each of the boards. One of the two or both should show a short to gnd.
        Once the short is located, you can replace it or repair it. Hope this helps.

Comment

Older plasmas had two energy recovery circuits, one on each board. Energy recovery makes lighting the plasma screen more efficient. Really old plasmas had a third circuit for the address drivers but that's not used any more. The newer plasmas like this one have moved to a chained ERC (energy recovery circuit) which the Y-sus and Z-sus share. If a failure on the Y-sus occurs, it's possible for the Z-sus to be damaged at the same time. Therefore, when replacing boards on chained ERC plasmas, it's recommended to replace both simultaneously from known good sources.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

What I meant was there should not be a short across the pins. You should see a resistance of several thousand ohms. A short would be a much lower like 10 ohms or less
            Sorry for any confusion

Comment

I was replying to migimara, what you said is sensible and should also be tested.

Comment

Alright I'll test the boards when I get home. What I'm puzzled about is lets say both boards are placed simultaneously, what would it mean if it fails again?

Comment

One or both boards are bad, or somehow there is a fault with the control board or panel. The last two are very rare.

Comment

Alright I think I've just about had it. Got 2 new y and z sus boards today and it seemed to power on for about a minute but there was no picture or sound so I turned it off. I turned it on again I saw the screen come on with a black thick horizontal line on the top half of the screen then the speakers made a loud growl noise... Then the z sus popped yet again. Took off the back panel unplugged the z board and tempted to turn on the TV again. It turned on for a couple of seconds then the middle black bar thing on the y board sparked at the tip of the black thing. It's getting pricey so what is causing these issues now? Could it be the panel? I'm guessing those are a bit difficult to replace.

Comment

Horizontal line from top to bottom? It could be the panel is cracked or damaged, even if just on a corner or in the middle of the screen. Some newer plasma screens will light up when cracked, but can damage the sustain boards when this happens.

Could you perhaps get a picture of what it looks like when it turns off?

Also, try isolating the speakers by disconnecting them to confirm the sound definitely is coming from those.

Comment

Hey Tom let's see if I can upload some pics from my phone. Took pics of the back panel off with close ups on the y and z sus boards. On the screen the line was a bit above on the top half of the screen. It went left to right and the thickness was about 2cm and it was also squiggly. If I recall the 2nd time I turned it on when the loud sound happened seems to be coming from the top right part of the screen, where the y buffers are. Is it possible that the y buffers could be causing an issue? or the main board? I do know that if the main board is not plugged in to the PSU board it would just click on then off. If the y sus board is disconnected with only the main board connected it will just turn on without picture.

As for any cracks on the screen I don't think I saw any when the TV turned on briefly since it was backlit when it was on. I only noticed the thick squiggly line.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi i have this same Plasma TV powers on but with no picture or sound siuspect main av board have no jumper wires to test av board what else can i use?

Comment

Working...
                          X