Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio m550nv

Please help.
    I have a 55" vizio that when I connect it to the wall outlet, the vizio orange light flashes a lot of times and after a while it stays orange, I turn it on and the orange light turns to white but with no picture or sound. the whole screen is black.
    I opened the tv and got the following readings once the tv was on (white vizio light) on the power supply board where I have placed the red circle on the picture.

from the bottom up
    1.86v supposed to be 12v
    1.86v supposed to be 12v
    3.22v supposed to be 12v
    3.32v supposed to be ?

Is this normal? I hope I am making sense and I am sorry for the poor pictures but its night time.
    Attached Files

Re: Vizio m550nv

you should try to get a closer up picture of the power supply.
    My Computer.
    AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
    Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
    Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
    500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
    1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
    2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Here is the close up
      Attached Files

Comment

Just to make sure....is the meter set to DC and the correct range (if not autoranging)? Battery Good?

Well with the tv on (white light) what voltage do you get on those central 450v caps? (Probe on each leg)

Comment

Yes the meter is set to dc and the correct range.
          I replaced the battery last week with a brand new one.
          Is it safe to test them? the 450v caps?
          And I imagine the setting on the meter needs to be on 600v right?
          Also, does it matter which probe goes to what leg?
          Sorry but I am new to all of this.
          Attached Files

Comment

Ok, good.
            It is ok to test them but DO NOT short the legs of the capacitor while ON or on standby.
            Yes 600v is what you use.
            No it doesn't necessarily matter about probe placement - if it is backwards then the voltage reading will just show a negative sign.

Measure while on standby and then again while it is ON.

Comment

Okay here are the readings:
              the bottom one on standby 168v while it's on 396v
              the top one on standby 168v while it's on 396v

What do you think?

Comment

Please help, I know I have bad pictures but it's always dark when I get home from work and it's hard to get good pictures.

Comment

That looks good and pictures are actually OK.

I find it very odd that the 12v rail showed 2 different readings since those 3 wires are connected to the same source. What are you using as your ground? Using 20 on your meter, correct?
                  Last edited by drpj23; 12-16-2012, 01:00 AM.

Comment

I am using attached screw to metal frame inside tv for ground.
                    And yeah I am using the 20v mark on my meter.
                    What about the readings on the 450 caps?

Comment

The 450v caps look fine.

Are the screws coated? They can mess with readings sometimes (well in my experience).

Use the frame itself or GND on the harness and re-list the voltages with respect to the legend.
                      CN51
                      Pin1 - 5v - 4.96v
                      ..and etc. for when the power is on.

Comment

Is there any availability of a service manual (or schematics) for this model please. (CAn buy or beg or trade.) TY.

Comment

This tv might be to new for a service manual but there is a repair service on ebay for your mainboard. I'm wondering if its an eeprom chip failure like on the E series vizios.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Servi...item2571997fd6

Comment

Thank you, but what if it's not the main board but the power supply.
                            I dont want to pay $105.00 for nothing.
                            I would like to get help here so hopefully I can fix it or buy the right board and not be guessing.

Comment

I had this exact problem on my Vizio 47" HDTV.
                              I removed the speakers and all the screws on the back cover.
                              Took the cover off and located the fuses on the largest circuit board.
                              The are in the upper right hand corner of the board. There are 3 of
                              them in a row labeled LF 1.5,
                              LF 3.0 and LF 3.0. The are white in color with copper ends.
                              I took a volt meter and measured continuity across all fuses individually
                              and found the LF 1.5 to be blown. The guy at the electronics store sold me a barrel
                              1.5A fuse and told me to soldier it across the top of the blown fuse.
                              It took an extra set of hands but the TV works perfectly.

Comment

Thanks, and I am glad it worked for you, but this is a different model so the boards are different.
                                I did check fuses f1, f3 and f8 for continuity on the main board and they all work fine.
                                I am stuck I dont know what to do

Comment

To rule out the power supply give us the voltage readings.

Comment

Voltage readings of which component?
                                    the one in the bottom it's all black with no marks on it (yellow circle), if it's a fuse it checks out fine. I tested both fuses (green circles)and they are okay .000 on continuity test and my multimeter beeps same as the one in yellow circle. I tested all 6 diodes I can identify (red cricles) and they all check out okay but I have not tested the bridge and the opto-isolators because I don't know how.
                                    I checked all diodes and on the cathode side I get a reading of .480 and when I switch the probes on the on the other end I get 0 reading.
                                    The only diode I get .465 is the one under the 450 caps.
                                    So it means that they are working because the current is only flowing one way on all 6 of them right?
                                    Attached Files

Comment

OK, on the picture in post 3 the closed up pictures of the connector CN202:
                                      The CN202 has 14 pins, so lets make the top pin #14
                                      Please take the DC voltage readings of these pins:
                                      14 (PWM) = xxVDC
                                      13 (N.C.) not connected
                                      12 (BL_ON: Backlights ON, >3VDC = ON) = xxVDC
                                      11 (PWR_0N: power on >3VDC = ON, the voltage on that 450Vdc cap will go from 170VDC to around 390Vdc due to PFC Voltage booster kicks on which you have already verified) = xxVDC
                                      10~8 (12VDC power supply) = xxVDC
                                      7~4 (Ground) = 0VDC
                                      3~1 (5V standby) = xxVDC
                                      Never stop learning
                                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

okay here we go:

14 (PWM) = .84v
                                        13 (N.C.) not connected
                                        12 (BL_ON: Backlights ON, >3VDC = ON) = 3.3v
                                        11 (PWR_0N: power on >3VDC =3.2v
                                        ON, the voltage on that 450Vdc cap will go from 170VDC to around 390Vdc due to PFC Voltage booster kicks on which you have already verified) = 397v both caps
                                        10~8 (12VDC power supply) = 1.81v
                                        7~4 (Ground) = 0VDC
                                        3~1 (5V standby) = 5.13v

Comment

Working...
                                        X