Vizio VM60P HDTV10A No signs of life except speaker pop when unplugged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio VM60P HDTV10A No signs of life except speaker pop when unplugged

Well, if there are other faults on that board, it is dead already. They will just make themselves more, uh, apparent...

Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Just double checking and i don't doubt you and understand the concept of the trick, However this will be jumping pins on the same lower powerboard, but i will do it from the main board side. now there are three small connectors from lower to upper power board half are dead and other half has voltages, theoretically, this could be what it needs to turn on the upper power board. more i think about it more i think i got robbed from the guy i bought it from and more i think he swapped the mainboard on me and his story of a vizio tv tech story was a total lie.... but if your willing to continue to help me, i am not gonna let this guy screw me from fixing this beast.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        If there's no PSON, then the main board is at fault. Double check the connector going to the buttons too. Does it do the same with the remote control? Can you turn the set off, once it is on?

vizio led stays lit moment u plug it in, it will not go from on to off state, it stays orange i think it changes color when on.

Comment

heavymachines, just wondering.. did you poke around a lot on the boards to find dead components ?

Comment

not too much , however i did probe around when power plugged in and did find there is still areas not getting power still. replaced the lower power board, and that gave me lot more life then it did have before, relays gets power but not being told to engage, did not have any before, have my standby,did not have before, main board partially getting power did not have before, so there is alot of progress replacing the lower power board, i am suspicious of the main board the guy said vizio tv tech "swapped it out and same result" . i think the more likely he sold the good one and got a "core" to put back in it. just a theory. will know fore sure soon, but i think the original prob was power board or boards. also speaker pop went away replacing the lower power board. any suggestions of what i should do? bout to try what tom suggested.

Comment

okay i have a bunch of 75ohm cermics and 180ohm ceramics but no 220ohm but can't i solder 3 75 ohm together and get 225ohm would that work?

Comment

Well yeah, you don't need much power dissipation though, just a 1/4W 5% resistor, doesn't radioshack sell them?
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

you would think but there has been many times i look and they never seem to have a specific part i am looking for, will go there if need be, the 75ohm ceramic ones i have are 5watt. could i use them or better not? solder them inline with three of em?
                  Last edited by heavymachines; 09-27-2012, 09:40 AM.

Comment

It would be quite awkward and you need two 220 ohm resistors for one test... it doesn't have to be 220 ohm at all it's just a nice common value that limits the current in case of a fault.

Comment

well i tried it with 3 75 ohm resisters soldered inline and nothing happens, no clicks and no va or vs voltages, so this may be a upper power board prob? or got a half working lower? and i checked vs-on pressing power button nothing fluctuates at all...

Comment

okay tried it again with 2 sets of 3 75 ohm resisters still nothing.

Comment

You did the relay on check but the relay didn't twitch?

Comment

ok good progress i unplug lower power board from main board ,guess what everything powers up got my va and vs and rest of the voltages to the other half of mainboard but if i plug it back in everything shuts off except 5volt and 5 volt vs-on, standby and i get relay clicks when i do this as well so safe to assume this puts the prob smack dab to the main board correct?

also left the upper connector to the main board plugged in when i do this...

Comment

Which connector did you unplug? I'm definitely suspecting your main board. You pretty muh confirmed that your PSU is OK. Don't expect to get a picture without the main board but if Vs comes up PSU is probably all OK.

Did you check all your voltage regulators on the main board? On any Vizio those are the first suspect.

Comment

the connector from lower power board to main board...

I left the connector from upper power board to main board connected.

when i unplug lower power board connector everything powers up including fans y sus x sus everything gets voltage, if i plug it back in it shuts down.

Comment

not yet for the voltage regulators will do that for sure , i am extremely confident its all in the main board now....

Comment

This set has fans? Interesting. Even if you don't find a bad voltage regulator, I think Vizio use that same main board in a lot of TVs, from 37" LCD TVs and 42" plasmas upwards.

Comment

found 1 bad regulator already , yes it has fans 2 of em lol. gonna look at the pile of laptop boards for compatible regulator.

Comment

I've only ever seen one LG with a fan and it was poorly implemented leading to the temporary failure of the Y-sustain (Build up of dust on the Y-sustain board led to arcing. Luckily it didn't damage anything.)

Is the bad regulator U33?

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                          I've only ever seen one LG with a fan and it was poorly implemented leading to the temporary failure of the Y-sustain (Build up of dust on the Y-sustain board led to arcing. Luckily it didn't damage anything.)

Is the bad regulator U33?
                                          no its u5.... 84-33 ...0536al and its slightly discolored from the rest of em as well...

Comment

Working...
                                          X