Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio VW42L -No Power/Fuse keeps blowing

Hey Everyone,

I have a Vizio VW42L HDTV10A Flat screen TV.
    This TV just one day cut off on its own and now will not power up.

I took the back off and stated looking for a blown fuse. The only fuse that I could find was near were the power comes into the TV was blown.

I replaced the fuse with an exact rating fuse, only the original one was ceramic and I used a glass fuse.

The problem is that after I replace the fuse and plug the power into the TV the fuse blows instantly.

I was wondering if you guys have experienced this problem with the Vizio TV's and if you would have any advise on troubleshooting this problem?

I was thinking that there has to be a short somewhere, but I never had any trouble with this TV until this happened.

Thanks for helping.

Re: Vizio VW42L -No Power/Fuse keeps blowing

Post some pictures.

A fuse which blows repeatedly generally indicates:

- a shorted bridge rectifier; or
    - a shorted power MOSFET

Both defects are on the power supply. Hopefully it is the bridge, as this is easy to replace.
    Last edited by tom66; 07-06-2012, 01:35 PM.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Here are some pics from the inside of the TV.

I appreciate you looking at this for me.

Can you point out to me were the bridge rectifier or MOSFET
      is located. How would I test these to check if they are bad or good?

Thanks again..
      Attached Files

Comment

Can you unplug the PSU and unscrew it, and post a picture of the underside (green side)?
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

there is the bridge rectifier right next to the big cap on its side go past the 4 blue bits and its the large flat black thing on the heat sink it has 4 pins going down to the board thats the bit toms on about check it for shorts like tom said the drive transistors are the other large black squares on the heat sinks with 3 legs set meter to diode and test to see if theyve shorted that will be a good start

Comment

if the meter beeps at you a lot on one or more of the parts your probing or you get a verylow voltage drop across the components then that point toward the failed component un solder it from the board and check again if its still shorted then you know its that, once youve found the shorted part if its the bridge just change it and your fixed if its the transistor then trace the driver by tracing the track from the gate pin of the shorted transistor and again check the driver to the transistor it may be a small ic or a small sm transistor looking part but again put some more pics on so tom can see the whole board and he will point this out to you , as chances are the blown fet could have damaged the fet driver too

Comment

Here is a pic from the backside of the PSU.

Thanks again for your time with this. I marked on the pic the area of the fuse.

Thanks
              Attached Files

Comment

This is your bridge rectifier.

To test:
                - Unplug board.
                - Mentally number the pins 1 thru 4.
                - Set meter to DIODE test; red probe in VOLT/OHM, black in COM.
                - Test from 1 to 2, 3, 4.
                - Test from 2 to 1, 3, 4.
                - Test from 3 to 1, 2, 4.
                - Test from 4 to 1, 2, 3.

If the bridge is good, on all readings you will either get a single "1" or "OL", or a reading around 400 to 800. If something is bad with the bridge or something further along the line is shorted you will get zero or nearly zero.

Comment

let me know if this pic is not clear enough and I will post another one, I didn't know how large of a photo I could post.

Comment

Gah! I'm an idiot!

I forgot to upload the attachment.

Try my test this time with the attachment to help.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks alot, I will do the test and get back to you.

Comment

Hey Tom,
                        I did the tests on the bridge rectifier and here is what I got.

Test #1
                        Pin 1 to 2 = 482v
                        Pin 1 to 3 = 486v
                        Pin 1 to 4 = 0v

Test #2
                        Pin 2 to 1 = 482v
                        Pin 2 to 3 = 933v
                        Pin 2 to 4 = 482v

Test #3
                        Pin 3 to 1 = 486v
                        Pin 3 to 2 = 933v
                        Pin 3 to 4 = 486v

Test #4
                        Pin 4 to 1 = 0v
                        Pin 4 to 2 = 482v
                        Pin 4 to 3 = 486v

Since I got a 0v reading on pins 1 to 4, I suppose this makes the bridge bad.

Do you have a good source to where to purchase the bridge rectifier from?

Is there a voltage rating on the bridge? I wanted to make sure I get the correct one.

Thanks again for your help and time with this.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Pin 1 and 4 are the output pins, since they are connected to the load, if the load is shorted, I.E. shorted MOSFET, then you will get 0 reading. You should remove the bridge and check pin 1 and 4 of the bridge out side the board, and also check pin 1 and 4 of the board to see if it still read 0 without the bridge in place.
                          Never stop learning
                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

If you have a short on 1-4 you have a dead load side, so a shorted FET or similar.

edit: Budm beat me!

Comment

let me make sure I understand.

remove the bridge rectifier from the board and perform the same test on the pins.

are you saying were the bridge is connected to the board it will show a short on pins 1 & 4 so removing it from the board will eliminate this and give a more accurate reading?

so far is the reading on the pins within normal range?

thanks

Comment

Remove the bridge from the board (unscrew it from the heatsink and use a flat headed screwdriver to separate it from the thermal paste, then desolder each pin using a soldering iron and wick or a solder sucker.)

Then test the bridge, if it passes the test then it's not at fault. Test between 1 and 4 (without the bridge in place, on the board itself) and if there is a zero reading there then there's a fault further down the line.
                                Last edited by tom66; 07-09-2012, 05:30 PM.

Comment

OK I got it, I will have to go out and get some solder wick.

Just wondering, If the bridge is bad what voltage reading would I get on pins 1 & 4 with it out of the board?

I will post the results later.

Thanks a bunch

Comment

The meter should show low Ohm and then rises up as the main DC cap starts charging by the meter into K ohms range.
                                    Never stop learning

Comment

OK, I removed the bridge from the board.
                                      Here is what I came up with.

Pin 1 has a (-) symbol
                                      Pin 2 has a (~) sign wave symbol
                                      Pin 3 has a (~) sign wave symbol
                                      Pin 4 has a (+) symbol

I don't know if this matters or not, but If I put the black lead on pin 1 since it has the negative symbol on it and the red led on pin 4 I get a "OL" reading.

If I put the red lead on pin 1 and black lead on pin 4 I get a .885v

If I test pins # 2 and 3 that have the sign wave symbol I get a "OL" reading.

What do you think? Does the bridge appear to be bad?

Thanks 4 helping
                                      Last edited by vote4pedro; 07-11-2012, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Please put the Ohm meter where pin1 and pin4 on the board and tell us what you read in Ohm (put meter in 200 Ohm range).
                                        Last edited by budm; 07-11-2012, 06:36 PM.
                                        Never stop learning

Comment

Working...
                                        X