A funny fuse story – Lumix LX100 II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A funny fuse story – Lumix LX100 II

Hello, I disassembled this dead camera, and found this WTF… Two fuses soldered one above the other !
    I was pretty sure nobody touched it before, but that can't be from factory. There is flux, and capacitor is probably missing.
    The other weird thing : the fuses are « G » fuse : (0.75A – 8V), seems very low. The original fuse should be « O » : (32V 2,5A).
    There is « O » mark beside. All fuses have the same mark letter on main board. So, I can deduce it's a « O » fuse.
    And this correspond to the issus I saw : when I plug the battery, I measure the voltage dropping to 0v.

I can't understand this repair attempt ? Visual confusion of letters O and G ? The camera-repair-man had only fuse G in stock ???

Anyway, I have a question : I can replace by « O » fuse (32V 2,5A). But, that seems low. The camera is good, there is no reason why the original fuse should have blown.
    I hesitate to upgrade a little bit the fuse, at least 32V 3A, or 3,5A ? What do you thinks pls ?
    For example, the camera fuji X100V (same specs and same battery 7,2v 1Ah) has a T fuse (32v 5A) at first fuse, like another Nikon camera.
    Attached Files

Re: A funny fuse story – Lumix LX100 II

so the cap shorted and blew the fuse and somebody did a swift bodge-fix!

Comment

I checked that, I disassembled the two fuses, and you are right, there was one « O » fuse under. And it is blow. (The G one is good).

I’m not convainced for the cap, the missing cap is a 0402 one. Too small for blow for me. The big one on the picture is ok and untouched. But possible.
      When I pushed a little bit the 2 fuses soldered, they left alone from the board. So bad solder. Maybe the camera repair man did a bad solder and accidentaly moved the cap too ?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        so the cap shorted and blew the fuse and somebody did a swift bodge-fix!
        That sums it up very nicely. What I am thinking too.

Comment

maybe there never was a cap there .one pad looks not touched .the other pad probably was the solder supply for the bodge .

Comment

but it doesnt explain the blown fuse - a bad cap would.

Comment

There was of something soldered on the pad, so I guess there was a cap. I just never saw the small 0402 cap blown. (The big component is an inductor).

I guess I will replace the fuse by the same original "O" one (32V 2,5A). The max power come probably from the direct charge via USB cable for charging a 1000mAh battery. So it probably don't has fast charge (not in the specs). So the fuse should protect 1A max réal at 7v. So 32V 2,5A seems alwready oversized if i'm not wrong ?

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                maybe there never was a cap there .one pad looks not touched .the other pad probably was the solder supply for the bodge .
                To me there was a cap there.

Comment

Working...
                X