Vizio GV42LFHDTV10A no pic, no sound, wont shut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio GV42LFHDTV10A no pic, no sound, wont shut off

Just as the title says, no picture but backlight is working, no sound and the TV won't shut off with the power button or remote.

I have replaced the power supply and mainboard with one I purchased from TVpartsguy.com....however on further inspection I found that the mainboard is not the correct part number. Symptoms did not change at all with these "new" parts installed. I also tried my original mainboard with just the new power supply installed. Same. I seem to be getting all the correct voltages to the mainboard. So I moved on to checking the U33 regulator that I've read about here. It's reading 1.08, 1.87, 4.94 respectively on 1,2,and 3....which would indicate a problem. So just for kicks, I installed the new "wrong" board into it for a second time and measured the U33 on it....and voltages were very similar to my original board. (Also I've looked over all caps on both boards and cannot see any that are obviously damaged/bulged/leaking).

I've already ordered a few new regulators from digikey, because at this point I don't feel like I have much to lose by swapping them out.....but I'm hoping someone can shed a little more light on this for me. Should I be looking at something else or does it seem like I'm on the right track? I'm definitely no electronics repairman, but I have been able to stumble through a few repairs (like the control board on my Hobart welder!).

Any input would be appreciated.

Re: Vizio GV42LFHDTV10A no pic, no sound, wont shut off

Other voltages I forgot to include:
    1 2 3
    U2 1.87 3.14 4.96
    U7 0 0.82 1.87
    U8 1.87 3.14 4.96
    U9 0 0.99 1.86
    U33 1.08 1.87 4.94

As far as I can tell from what I've read here, only U2 and U8 look ok...but I'm really new at this. It concerns me that my input voltages on U7 and U9 seem to be really low compared to the others. Makes me think my problem is elsewhere. ????
    Last edited by myjeepsbigger; 03-17-2011, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by myjeepsbigger View Post
      but I'm really new at this.
      Voltage regulators are what people call "jellybean" parts and quite common on many boards.

They usually have a part number like AL1117-33 where the suffix (-33) denotes the output voltage. So in this example, the output should be 3.3V DC. Most voltage regulators have a 1% specification. That is, the 3.3V DC should be

3.3 x 0.99 = 3.267V DC
      or
      3.3 x 1.01 = 3.333V DC

Anything above or below those values indicates that the voltage regulator is bad.

So for your case, look at all the part numbers and it will tell you what the output voltage should be. If you can't tell, list them all here and we can help verify.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I forgot to mention that "common" output voltages are 3.3V, 2.5V, and 1.8V DC.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Got the parts today, ordered 4 in case I had multiples failing....but I only needed one! Replaced the U33 and it's working like new again!

Now hopefully I can get them to take back the mainboard that didn't work....

Comment

I have the exact same TV with the exact same problem. What was the part number for the voltage regulators you ordered from DigiKey.com? I was about to order a new main board and power board from VizParts.com, but I found your post and thought I could save a lot of money by replacing the regulators (after I check the voltages of course).

Thanks,
            William

Comment

It was from another thread here, but I can't find it now....and I don't have my invoice in front of me. Search for Vizio threads here, I'm sure that's were I got it.

Comment

I finally got around to testing some voltages and here's what I found:

U2, U7, U8, U9, U33

All had the 1st readout of a positive, 2nd readout of 0, and the 3rd readout of negative.

I also tested P7, pins 2, 3, 4 and 10, 11, 12. I don't remember the exact readouts, but they weren't 12v and 5v, respectively. They weren't even close.

Then I tested some of the connections on the boards to the left and right of the mainboard. Sorry, I didn't jot down the connection numbers, but they all had readings of around 17.5-18.5v, or 1.5v and around 5v. They were all consistent.

With this info I'm guessing the Mainboard is the problem. Power seems to be getting to (and flowing through) the boards to the left and right, but not to all of the tested connections on the mainboard. I'm also going to get a new LVDS cable while I'm at it (this connects to J7).

Unless anyone has any other ideas? I'm definitely open to suggestions since the mainboard cost about $180 plus shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by ke1122 View Post
                  U2, U7, U8, U9, U33

All had the 1st readout of a positive, 2nd readout of 0, and the 3rd readout of negative.
                  What were the the actual readings?

Comment

I finally got around to testing some voltages and here's what I found:

U2, U7, U8, U9, U33

You may not be testing the voltage regulators properly. A negative readout suggests you are using the wrong ground.

See PlainBill explain what and how to test a voltage regulator at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=23
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Sure enough, I wasn't testing them properly. So much for thinking I knew what I was doing.

I'm going to retest now.

Comment

Ok, here are the properly taken readouts:

U2: 2.76 3.51 5.56
                        U7: 0.03 1.29 2.82
                        U8: 2.88 4.85 5.57
                        U9: 0.00 1.43 2.76
                        U33: 1.71 2.90 9.3-9.7

I should note that the U2 reading was steady at those numbers. All other regulators were moving targets (+/- .05). U33 input was all over the place (it even dipped down to 8.9), which is why I put a range.

Comment

Post the part numbers of each voltage regulator. Without them, we cannot tell if the voltages are correct or not.

Just by looking at the numbers themselves, I would say all the regulators are "off". This is assuming your multimeter is working properly. Do you have a fresh or new battery in the multimeter?
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

FYI...the proper output readings are:
                            U2: 3.3V
                            U7: 1.28V
                            U8: 3.3V
                            U9: 1.5V
                            U33: 3.3V

U8 & U33 appear suspect

Comment

Forgot to add that these are AMC1117 adjustable output regulators in the SOT-223 package.

Comment

Originally posted by daimoku View Post
                                Forgot to add that these are AMC1117 adjustable output regulators in the SOT-223 package.
                                According to the Service Manual:

U2: POWER MOS IRF7316TRPBF SMD 8PIN LF
                                U7: IC AP1117E18LA LF SOT-223
                                U8: IC AP1117E33LA LF SOT-223
                                U9: IC AP1117E18LA LF SOT-223
                                U33: IC SWITCH PI5C3257QE QSOP 16PIN LF

U2 and U33 are both 3 pin, like U7-9. Not sure why the part description says 8 and 16 pin.

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                This is assuming your multimeter is working properly. Do you have a fresh or new battery in the multimeter?
                                The batteries are not new, but I've had it for maybe 5 years and rarely used it. It has a low battery indicator, which is not lit. It is a Radioshack 15-range multimeter, part# 22-810.

Comment

The batteries are not new, but I've had it for maybe 5 years and rarely used it. It has a low battery indicator, which is not lit. It is a Radioshack 15-range multimeter, part# 22-810.
                                  A non fresh battery can cause erratic readings. Straight from the 22-810 manual (note the wording "or the meter does not measure accurately") ...

"When low battery appears on the display or the
                                  meter does not measure accurately, re-
                                  place the battery. If the battery power is
                                  extremely low, low battery does not appear."

I suggest replacing the battery with a new one and taking new measurements. You would not be the first to get inaccurate readings on a weak battery on this forum.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

my DMM measured a AA battery as 6.1 V once because of a semi-dead battery. no sign of the battery symbol on the display yet.. so much for that..

Comment

I just tested a brand new AA Energizer battery and it read 1.61V. I tested 2 used AA Energizers and they read 1.36V and 0.51V. Should I still get a new battery in the multimeter?

Comment

With a +/- 0.8% allowable variance in DCV according to the manual, I'm gonna say yes since 1.61 is ~8% higher than 1.5.

DC VOLTS
                                        (2–20–200–500 V) .......... ± 0.8% of full scale,
                                        ± 1 in last digit

Comment

Working...
                                        X