Fractal 1000w shut down if gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fractal 1000w shut down if gaming

Hello, Fractal power supply works well but if i start gaming computer shut down?
    I opened power supply and no bad condensator found.
    Where to start finding broken parts?
    Sorry for my bad english.

Re: Fractal 1000w shut down if gaming

You didn't specify the model.
    Looking at some pics it seems the caps sit in an area with very poor airflow right up against the heatsinks. (If I found the right model).
    So it's a possibility if they have been cooked, how old is the PSU / how much have you used it?
    Pics?
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

maybe it's not the psu.
      check how hot the cpu is running.

Comment

It's Fractal design newton R2 1000w 80+
        Model: FD-PSU-NEWT2-1000
        Power supply are little broken because any other power supply works well on same computer.
        Last edited by drag; 09-18-2016, 11:58 AM.

Comment

It is very much similar to this picture.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Per Hansson; 09-19-2016, 01:25 PM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

Comment

No way is that 1000w rated looks quite poorly built IMO.
            Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Would be nice if you could provide some personal photos of the PSU, to see if there are any issues with it.

Comment

Attached Files
                Last edited by Per Hansson; 09-19-2016, 01:28 PM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded

Comment

Looks like United Chemicon caps so probably not it then.
                  Did you try the computer on another powersupply, maybe try borrowing one from a friend if you don't have a spare?
                  As stj said it might be a problem with something else...
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I forgot to say that former owner said that power supply shut down randomly.
                    What are usually broken if power supply shut down randomly?
                    Last edited by drag; 09-19-2016, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I found this:
                      https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/...e=psrepair.txt
                      "Diode failure is another common problem. There are quite a few diodes
                      in a switching supply and failure of any one of them will cause the
                      supply to blow the fuse or shut down. The most common diode failures are
                      shorted +12 volt or -5 volt output rectifiers. Failure of these diodes
                      will not blow the fuse. The supply simply detects the short and shuts
                      itself down."

Comment

i cant see any pictures.
                        fotofuckit or imgur again i suppose.

Comment

stj: I uploaded the photos.

drag: please attach the photos here in the forum instead next time.
                          For you quoted text it is not your failure condition, in that case the PSU would not turn on.
                          It could be a bad solder joint or simply dry capacitors.
                          But you need equipment to be able to test them (an ESR meter)
                          If you don't have one you could just change them all and hope for the best but I don't like your chances...

Comment

Those indeed look like ChemiCons, but i wonder what series?

KZG's have been known to crap out (seen a few of those myself, on mobos), in some cases...
                            Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                              Looks like United Chemicon caps so probably not it then.
                              You should NEVER EVER excluded something if you haven't tested it, if it is a probable cause for the failure.

The caps are a possible cause, so they should be measured to be sure...

Though I'd first try to figure out if it is the PSU and not the PC...
                              And if the fan is spinning

Originally posted by Khron View Post
                              Those indeed look like ChemiCons, but i wonder what series?
                              Probably KZE series...
                              And KY for Standby.

Originally posted by Khron View Post
                              KZG's have been known to crap out (seen a few of those myself, on mobos), in some cases...
                              Well, there are many people in forums with failed Seasonic X/P series PSUs with failures that sounds like the caps are defective...
                              Last edited by Stefan Payne; 09-21-2016, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X