Dead Antec PP412X with Bad Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Antec PP412X with Bad Caps

Yet another dead Antec 400w PSU on the bench today. Classic example, full of bulging and leaking Fuhk-yoo caps.

No RMA for this piece of shit. The RMA would arrive loaded with more junk caps, so it is going straight into the land fill.

Re: Dead Antec PP412X with Bad Caps

If it was still within the three year warranty w/o the cover seal broken it could be RMAed and the return unit would be an up-grade from a SP or TP.
    Then keep that unit for a spare or sell it.

Comment

I'd send in the RMA, then recap the replacement.
      A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

All good suggestions, but I'm enjoying being torqued at the damn thing, and tossing it in the can. It is beyond the warranty time, and I don't feel like recapping a poor design.

The good news is, the PSU did not kill the customer's system board or hard drive. It just died and refused to boot. Most amusing, the Antec PSU tester shows "good".

Snarf, snarf.

I'm using Sparkle 120mm PSU as replacements, and am very happy with how cool and quiet they run. They are easier to recap, having more room on the board.

Comment

Actually, the CWT units are not design level faulty. It is poor component choice that is killing 'em.
          Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
          Zippy GSM-6600P
          Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
          Abit IP35Pro
          ATi HD4870

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
            Yet another dead Antec 400w PSU on the bench today. Classic example, full of bulging and leaking Fuhk-yoo caps.

No RMA for this piece of shit. The RMA would arrive loaded with more junk caps, so it is going straight into the land fill.
            Then just recap it and be done already.

Comment

Recapped Channel-Wells should be OK - the main issue is finding 10mm cap replacements of the right values and endurance. This has been discussed before.

Comment

10mm caps aren't usually an issue on these old CWT420-ATX12 based units - they're all 12.5mm IIRC. Easiest recap I've done on a PSU

Comment

Working...
                X