IR21531S odd behaviour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR21531S odd behaviour

I have a Boston Acoustics Soundwave subwoofer that I'm trying to resuscitate. It was blowing fuses and I narrowed the problem down to the main switching power supply which had blown MOSFETs. These are controlled by an IR21531S.

My understanding of these ICs is they work similarly to a 555 timer and provide constant, and opposing-phase frequency to a high and low output, in this case 50KHz.

What I found was that the LO was oscillating normally but the HO was sat at a constant 12v. This apparently was causing the HO-linked FET to fail. OK, it's a blown 21531, these are cheap so I'll replace that. This board has the oscillator on a little daughterboard which makes testing much more straightforward.

However, the replacements are behaving in exactly the same manner. Now I will confess I bought them from AliExpress because I didn't fancy the £12 shipping fee from DigiKey, however given the original part, and at least two of the replacements are exhibiting exactly the same condition I have a hard time believing the fault is with all three ICs.

Am I missing something fundamental here? The HO and LO outputs are direct from the chip, and given one is working I think I can discount the rest of the circuit, but this has me baffled.

Circuit diagram from the service manual attached.
    Attached Files

Just to add, the thought had crossed my mind that the reference might be VS rather than ground, however on checking that side of things, although I do see some 50kHz action from VS to HO it doesn't look like a solid signal either, and LO to VS is all over the place.

I guess it's possible it's behaving correctly but I only have a couple of transistors left (bought from Farnell so I'm fairly sure they're good) and don't really want to start burning through them on the off chance.

Comment

Right, so it seems you have to tie VS to ground to test these chips - and the replacement is behaving normally. I think I have no choice but to risk frying another mosfet, as I cannot see anything else wrong with this damned board...

Comment

Working...
      X