Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Switch 24 Port PSU Bad Nichicon Cap

Hiya Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've seen this thread over here from December 2008 where this guy has a identical piece of network equipment to me. (PureLan 24TP Plus 1 Fiber Network Switch)
    I have two of them, and they with seem to have bad cap's on the PSU's.

Thing is, I seem to have a different Nichicon capacitor "model" to what he had.

The affected caps are Nichicon 1500чF 6.3v HD (M) and have 105° written on them. Even after many hours of searching the internet and reading the old threads on here, I'm still confused as what would be a suitable replacement for them.
    I've seen a lot of people say that these model of caps don't need to be replaced and are generally fine, but these are quite obviously venting a blugging.
    I'm in the UK but don't really mind where I replacements caps come from, I would prefer to buy them over the internet but whatever gets the PSU's up and running again

Thanks for any feedback or help provided guys

Link To Old Thread
    Last edited by voithkingsley; 07-11-2013, 11:43 AM. Reason: Aditional Information Added

Re: Network Switch 24 Port PSU Bad Nichicon Cap

For Nichicon HD use Panasonic FM (FR is also acceptable) or better, Rubycon ZL (ZLH, ZLK, ZLJ) or better, and UCC KZE or better.
    The affected caps are Nichicon 1500чF
    Not to nitpick but you used the wrong symbol for 'micro'. The character you used is a Cyrillic "Tz" (i.e. it produces the sound resembling combining t and z in English). The one you wanted was this: µ
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
      For Nichicon HD use Panasonic FM (FR is also acceptable) or better, Rubycon ZL (ZLH, ZLK, ZLJ) or better, and UCC KZE or better.

Not to nitpick but you used the wrong symbol for 'micro'. The character you used is a Cyrillic "Tz" (i.e. it produces the sound resembling combining t and z in English). The one you wanted was this: µ
      Thank you for that information.
      What about the tolerance? If I'm correct the "M" is part of the series name not the tolerance?

I never realised there was two similar characters, µ and ч ... My apologies!
      Now I know

Comment

The "(M)" is the tolerance, and it means +/-20%.

M = 20%
        K = 10%
        J = 5%
        G = 2%
        F = 1%
        B = 0.1%

I know some parts can have 0.5% and 0.05% tolerance, I just haven't seen the letter codes for those tolerances.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Is the datecode somewhen between 2001 and 2004 on the bad one?
          Last edited by Behemot; 07-13-2013, 08:33 AM.
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

^
            It's HD, not HM or HN. The HD series was never affected, so my guess is that the device killed it.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I think they were all three affected…at least something tells me I have seen them fail in conditions where they should not (Intel MoBos).
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
              X