Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hec 300w LRPTF

Hi guys,

been having totally random boots and squeeling from the audio with my comp and decided to go through the caps. My Abit NF7 motherboard looked to be OK (will inspect it better later) and my PSU Hec 300w LRPTF also seemed to OK.

However I started looking at the caps they had used...

2 x CapXon on the primary side

Teapos, 1 * Jamicon (?) on the secondary side

and two brands I couldn't tell. The other one has the letters Ltec and the other one has (M). Any ideas on those brands?

Any thoughts on the caps? CapXon and Teapo aren't exactly the best available, but they seem to be in working order so I doubt they are the reason. Overall the PSU operates quite cool, I've swapped a Panaflo FBL80L1A in there, opened up the intake vents and I'm using a fresh air PSU duct from the front of the PSU.

Edit: forgot to say that the PSU has been running for about a year now.

Thanks in advance,
    Aleksi
    Attached Files

Re: Hec 300w LRPTF

(M) should be Matsushita (aka Panasonic), certainly one of the better brands.

Random reboots can be caused by so many issues, either with PSU, memory, motherboard or indeed anything attached to it, that you'd have to eliminate all non-essential components in order to narrow down the cause.

So, for example a good test might be to run memtest86+ (to exclude any software/driver issues), with only the bare PSU (obviously), motherboard, CPU, memory and one CD/DVD drive installed...

Comment

Hi tiresias,

you can see the (M) I mean in the last photo. I thought of Panasonic too, but it's not shaped like the Matsushita logo. But it is Panasonic?

About the actual setup (Athlon XP 3200, Abit NF7, 2x 512mb Kingston 400DDR, GF6800, 160G WD), I've tested it with Prime95, MemTest etc but couldn't get any errors. That's why it seems so weird, the crash can happen when surfing the, opening Outlook or watching a movie. Totally random. I'm moving my current setup as my HTPC within a few weeks, so will see if a fresh install of XP will help.

Thanks for the reply,
      Aleksi

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksi
        Hi tiresias,

you can see the (M) I mean in the last photo. I thought of Panasonic too, but it's not shaped like the Matsushita logo. But it is Panasonic?
        Oh you mean that M - no that looks like part of one of the Ltec caps. I think I can see the edge of the Ltec logo on the sleeve on top of the cap in that picture...

Let us know how it goes...

PS. And welcome to the forum!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm probably moving the PSU along with an older setup for my brother and wanted to check the caps before passing it on. Had a bad experience with the caps in an Antec Truepower 380S in the past. Not really sure on whether to do a recap on the HEC as the caps seem to be OK at this point.

Will have to ask nicely for samples through my work

Comment

(M) is +/- 20% tolerance Tiresias....tsk tsk.......
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
              (M) is +/- 20% tolerance Tiresias....tsk tsk.......
              An oversight due to my capacitorial ignorance, I must confess. I stand... informed.

Comment

An HEC 300W is not powerful enough for your system. Forget caps, the whole thing (PSU) needs upgraded. Your target should be a ~400W PSU with over 18A 12V current. I don't know if it is the immediate cause of the problem, but it will be a problem eventually.
                Last edited by 999999999; 09-22-2006, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X