This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial

Hi. Toasty, that black color thing is thermistor ( inrush current limiter ), not MOV. MOVs are usually covered by shrinkable tube.
    HIPRO is PSU manufacturer, OEM for Compaq, HP, Dell, etc. I do not work for them

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brian C
      Hi. Toasty, that black color thing is thermistor ( inrush current limiter ), not MOV. MOVs are usually covered by shrinkable tube.
      HIPRO is PSU manufacturer, OEM for Compaq, HP, Dell, etc. I do not work for them
      I've never known dell to use Hipro, just delta and Lite-on. The HP's and Comquacks I've seen usually use Bestecs or AcBel's. The only OEM machine i've seen a Hipro in was a AST adventure 200.

I do know that Hipro makes quite a few of the coolermaster psu's

Comment

That thermistor is NTC. Limits current when mains capacitors is discharged and prevent annoying fuse blowing when plugging in. When it's warm, the resistance is lower. Opposed to the PTC which is used for degaussing coil in CRT stuff.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

OK - so they are MOV devices (labeled ZNR on pc board). What would cause them to fail - or should I say vaporize into nonexistence? At the time I acquired this psu, there were no loose parts, just indication of flash and poof - gone completely!

I have looked over my collection of psu and find that some have this MOV and some have a place for the MOV but part never installed. What does it do, and how necessary is it?
          Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

One more question - I see two coils on lower right. Is the coil on the right a line filter or power factor correction?
            Attached Files
            Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

That is non-pfc. You can easily tell from the two main caps. They're probalby for line filtering then.

Comment

Originally posted by everell
                I have looked over my collection of psu and find that some have this MOV and some have a place for the MOV but part never installed. What does it do, and how necessary is it?
                The MOVs are there in case a line surge occurs (such as from a lightning strike) and the voltage goes up beyond the rating of the main 2 caps. What happens then is the MOVs become conductive for a short period of time to prevent the main caps from getting damaged by the voltage spike.
                After handling many surges, however, these MOVs become more and more conductive, and in the end they just short out (and burn, as you can see) which causes the main fuse to blow up.
                Here's the wiki article... read where it says "Hazards"
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varistor

As for the two coils - they are line filters as well. Usually MOVs are there for extra protection, but they are not critical to the circuit. This is why cheaper power supplies don't have them. Also, since the two coils and the X/Y caps do the majority of the line filtering, MOVs are pretty much redundant.
                ----
                Just change the fuse on that HP PSU and it should start up fine.

Comment

Dell PS-5251-2DF2 250 watts
                  No 3.3 volts, cleaned crud around regulator KA431, works fine now. Maybe intermittent?
                  Drawing of supervisory pc board same for this psu and Dell PS 5022-2DF
                  Attached Files

Comment

Asus EXDA40PC0

Asus EXDA40PC0 (Enertronix OEM)

Yate Loon D12HS-12(F) 0,30A fan.
                    All capacitors made by OST. Also, new glue color - this time it is grey.
                    OST RGU 680uF 200V 85oC
                    On output OST RLG, RLP 2200-3300uF
                    Attached Files

Comment

power star "600w max" pos!
                      Attached Files

Comment

pymax py-2800d .
                        read label carefully!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wait, when you use both the 15v and 3.3v, it can't go over 100w?

Wait, wheres the 15v?

WAIT, 100W??? THATS IT?

Comment

the sum of all wattage rails doesn't even touch 300W and yet they rated their product at 400W. and what about imperfect pi filtering stage (no coil).
                            days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Hipro HP-P302GF3 (300W)

Another hipro. I got it second hand. Bought it for $5 at local computer market. Looks like a nice built. The fan is nidec too, which is good. All component is still in good condition, and the voltage rails is perfect.

Some of it's original caps :
                              Asiacon LR 1000uF 25v
                              Teapo SD 3300uF 16v
                              G-Luxon 4700uF 10v
                              Teapo SC 1000uF 10v

Attached Files

Comment

SeaSonic SS-300FS (300W no PFC)

Also bought it for $5, second hand. Tested good before recapping. Fan is an 8cm Adda (seems like pwm controlled, it runs silent). Secondary caps are a lot of 12,5mm JP CE-TUR. Nice, it is easy to recap. A 100uf 50V OST was found near the main transformer. A Rubycon YXF is a good replacement for it.

More (not too) details :
                                • Bridge Dioda : PBU605
                                • A chip on the primary heatsink : Toshiba K2607 28
                                • A chip near main trafo : K3()67 (?)
                                • A chip near 100uF & 10uF caps : TL3843P
                                • A chip near 5VSB wire : L7905CV WCC1A0140
                                • A chip near powergood wire : Weltrend WT7510 145 J731W5
                                • Schottky diodas :
                                  for 3.3v = STPS30 L40CW (30A 40v)
                                  for 12v = STPS20 45CT (20A 45v)
                                  for 5v = E83 - 004
                                • Main caps are 2x Panasonic TS-UP 680uF 200V 85C caps.

It went into my own rig (temporarily).

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7142
                                Attached Files

Comment

Astec 425W

Very well built. Non-atx sized, atx connectors though, 92mm's tall.

Rubycon primary cap, secondaries are nichicon, rubycon, and UCC.

Nidec fan, very easy to access fuse, and extremely good soldering.

Last edited by 370forlife; 06-02-2009, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Rosewill 350w, came free with a $25 case on newegg.

P4 Ready! Deer made, YC (the planet logo) caps everywhere, none bulging yet.

Capable of about 300W, had it running a 3200+ with 2 hard drives and a 8600gt. Just got hot, has a rudimentary protection circuit with short protection and OCP.

Fan is a globe fan of very high cfm. Metal feels cheap and bends easily.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                                      Just got hot, has a rudimentary protection circuit with short protection and OCP.
                                      You sure about those protections? Cause I have a very, very similar L&C with the same "chip-of-the-year" logic chip. I used to have it in a P3, and one day after pushing the power button, the wires for the HD/CD-ROM started smoking and burned up.
                                      I took the PSU out and tested it after that. It worked ok.
                                      If anything, that experience tells me that this PSU does not have any protection of any sort. Of course mine had tiny output filters. Maybe that caused the SC protection not to work?
                                      Last edited by momaka; 06-02-2009, 11:06 PM.

Comment

I don think it has OCP ( over current protection ). It has only UVP and OVP... IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                                          You sure about those protections? Cause I have a very, very similar L&C with the same "chip-of-the-year" logic chip. I used to have it in a P3, and one day after pushing the power button, the wires for the HD/CD-ROM started smoking and burned up.
                                          I took the PSU out and tested it after that. It worked ok.
                                          If anything, that experience tells me that this PSU does not have any protection of any sort. Of course mine had tiny output filters. Maybe that caused the SC protection not to work?
                                          I know it has short protection after shorting out two leads against a case while hooking up a custom fan, it shut right off.

Originally posted by Brian C
                                          I don think it has OCP ( over current protection ). It has only UVP and OVP... IMHO.
                                          I wasn't really sure if it did or didn't, some people have said that it does. I didn't think that it did.

Comment

Working...
                                          X