Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Surface Pro 7 NEED BIOS. HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Microsoft Surface Pro 7 NEED BIOS. HELP!

Originally posted by AAAC View Post
    @bin_adam
    Password removed and Computrace disabled.
    Thanks very much, Now I programmed the bios with the file you give me But like laptop not recognising it, as with it and without if I just pressed power button it will show Windows logo for like 4 seconds and off again.

Yesterday I thought it was not soldered correctly may be the reason, but I removed and resoldered again, and still the same issue...

Please what do you think may be the problem?

Comment

@bin_adam
      Most likely is a configuration problem inside Setup/BIOS. I've seen similar behavior when AHCI mode or SATA mode configuration is changed, so when Windows starts to load it won't have the proper driver to access the hard drive, then it would reboot over and over. This option may not be available in MS Surface, so I suggest to go into Setup/BIOS and check the options.

Read post #56 and post #61, I was writing this post and found the other posts with which also describe a similar behavior.

Comment

@bin_adam
        Most likely is a configuration problem inside Setup/BIOS. I've seen similar behavior when AHCI mode or SATA mode configuration is changed, so when Windows starts to load it won't have the proper driver to access the hard drive, then it would reboot over and over. This option may not be available in MS Surface, so I suggest to go into Setup/BIOS and check the options.

Read post #56 and post #61, I was writing this post and found the other posts with which also describe a similar behavior.

Whats makes my issue different is the device is experiencing the issue with bios IC or without...

Comment

@bin_adam
          Being that way, the issue may be related to the BIOS chip. Check chip orientation and missing components around chip (resistors, capacitors, etc.).

What’s the chip part number and manufacturer (Winbond, Macronix, other)?
          Last edited by AAAC; 04-24-2023, 10:56 AM.

Comment

@bin_adam
            Being that way, the issue may be related to the BIOS chip. Check chip orientation and missing components around chip (resistors, capacitors, etc.).

What's the chip part number and manufacturer (Winbond, Macronix, other)?

Ok I will check, it's Winbond W25R128JWPQ

Comment

@bin_adam
              Being a Winbond chip seems to be fine compared to other like MX.
              Which programmer do you use? Are you using VERIFY option after programming chip? Do you ERASE the chip before programming it?

Comment

@AAAC
                I used CH341A USB programmer with Linux flashrom software in Ubuntu and command sudo ./flashrom -p ch341a_spi -w <filename>, and about ERASE and VERIFY indeed yes, the software first ERASE, WRITE and VERIFY which all went successfully... And I have confidence with it that's why am not using Windows OS and Apps for programming...

I also check and clean the nearby source of the bios but can't be able to detect any fault or dislocation of any component...

And please do you know why can the device display Windows logo for like 3 seconds when you just click on power button (without even holding the power button), and may be there is a other small bios that help the device to display as I don't think any device can display when it's bios removed but this one the issue is the same with bios soldered or not...

Sorry and thanks for taken your time @AAAC... Am grateful...

Comment

Originally posted by aldopc View Post
                  Test and comments
                  still have restriction to change option in bios
                  any help please for post 133?

Comment

@bin_adam
                    You may flash the Original BIOS, that way you will know if it's the NEW PATCHED BIOS or something else.

Comment

Hello friends,
                      I am having a Surface 7 (i5/8 GB) with a boot problem (logo briefly on, then off). I am attaching the original bios. Could somebody, please, attempt to fix it for me?

Thank you.
                      Attached Files

Comment

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...recovery-image

Comment

Thank you, but this won't help as the machine is nowhere near a successfull post.

Comment

Please clear my bios. is restricted, can't make any change on it.
                            SN: 066583701453
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hello. Could somebody kind and generous please share a bios for Surface Pro 7 (i5) first revision board?

I unfortunately don't have a copy of the original bios to provide as a starting point. Thank you

Comment

I have Surface Pro 7 where the touch screen has just decided to stop working (the screen is original with no damage) error code 10 in device manager for Intel Precision Touch Device STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR. Started with a removal and update of all drivers from the surface website but no joy, didn't think I would as I have no touch in UEFI either.

I've tried a spare screen using the board from the original screen (I don't have a spare board currently) and cleaned the ME based on settings from what I believe to be a working BIOS dump from another SP7 but have no touch still, before I order a touch screen board I just want to sanity check my BIOS files with someone who is much better experienced with these and can check against their own?
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by tccyo22; 05-06-2023, 05:03 AM.

Comment

hi please i want to unlock my bios surface pro 7
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello.
                                    How do you guys are able to connect to read the bios chip ?

-I tried using hot air gun but it appears that the chip is glued to the board and wont come off even with huge amount of heat
                                    -I tried soldering wires to the terminals of the chip but the terminals are actually on the bottom of the unit so that doesn't really work
                                    - I have this SOIC8 adapter but there's no way i can get a good connection with it. Sometimes i get some momentary response from the chip but its usually for a second

I have two SP7's - both power up for 2 seconds then shut down.
                                    I have CH341A programmer, with 3.3v mod and 1.8v adapter

Thanks in advance,
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Vesko356; 05-08-2023, 01:55 AM. Reason: Merging posts.

Comment

Hey mops,
                                      I have the same problem, but wasn't able to find anybody that could advice me how to create a working bios so far.

To your question - it helps a ton to preheat the board (I am usually going to 100 C from the bottom). Then I set my hot air to around 400-420 C (400 on the hotair station which means 300 on the IC... don't heat the IC to 400 C! ) and slowly heat the entire IC. There's a huge ground pad in the middle of it, so it takes a bit of heat to remove it. With the preheat it's usually around 30 seconds before it lifts nicely off. Try VERY gently poking the corner of it to see if it "floats". Only attempt to remove it once it does to avoid lifting a pad.

I have CH341A as well and it's working fine. Only quirk that I recently discovered is that I have to erase the chip before programming, otherwise I get an error when checking the data.

EDIT: Looking at the photos it seems like the adapter scraped the board around the flash chip... hopefully it's ok, but it might not be. You should check for damaged traces or ripped components. I don't think this adapter can get any contact on the chip - to program the flash without desoldering you need a different adapter that's made for WSON8.

EDIT2: And I hope you removed the board from the tablet before using hot air.
                                      Last edited by Prott; 05-08-2023, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Prott View Post
                                        Hey mops,
                                        I have the same problem, but wasn't able to find anybody that could advice me how to create a working bios so far.

To your question - it helps a ton to preheat the board (I am usually going to 100 C from the bottom). Then I set my hot air to around 400-420 C (400 on the hotair station which means 300 on the IC... don't heat the IC to 400 C! ) and slowly heat the entire IC. There's a huge ground pad in the middle of it, so it takes a bit of heat to remove it. With the preheat it's usually around 30 seconds before it lifts nicely off. Try VERY gently poking the corner of it to see if it "floats". Only attempt to remove it once it does to avoid lifting a pad.

I have CH341A as well and it's working fine. Only quirk that I recently discovered is that I have to erase the chip before programming, otherwise I get an error when checking the data.

EDIT: Looking at the photos it seems like the adapter scraped the board around the flash chip... hopefully it's ok, but it might not be. You should check for damaged traces or ripped components. I don't think this adapter can get any contact on the chip - to program the flash without desoldering you need a different adapter that's made for WSON8.

EDIT2: And I hope you removed the board from the tablet before using hot air.
                                        Thanks.
                                        No success removing the chip so far. I burned the whole board around the chip with heat but the effing thing wont come off.

Im dissapointed to hear that you were not able to fix the unit with re flashed bios. Have you tried few of the bioses from this thread ? Given its so hard to install and remove them i really dont want to be doing it several times.

Comment

That sounds weird. Sometimes an IC can get stuck to a board because of a short that welds it to it, but I don't think the 1.8V rail on Surface has a potential to do that.

Which hot air station are you using to heat the chip?

I have a hard time obtaining a BIOS that is not matched to any serial number - as far as I understand people here are providing their own bios which is either repaired or unlocked by somebody else (and is still matched to their serial number). Those are not working on my Surface.
                                          But I would like to know about this issue from somebody that has more experience. Maybe I am just understanding it totally wrongly.

Comment

Working...
                                          X