Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner Tutorial for using RCUnlocker to remove BIOS password?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner Tutorial for using RCUnlocker to remove BIOS password?

Hello,
    Kinda new to this, so hoping you will all give me a bit of a pass.
    I came to this forum because need to remove the BIOS password on an HP EliteBook 850 G1.
    I understand that I need to dumpt the BIOS to a dump file, process the dump file with RCUnlocker, then write the modified BIN file back to tthe BIOS chip.
    Is there a beginner guide anywhere that describes the entire process for doing this?
    I am reallly in the dark regarding which tool or tools are required to extract the BIOS dump file, then write the modified BIN back to the BIOS chip. The guides I have seen seem to take this step for granted, they start with the BIN file already extracted; and they do not cove the process for updating hte BIOS with the modified BIN file.
    Is there a standard tool, or set of tools, that are the preferred tool(s) for doing this?
    I would appreciate very much if someone could help me with this knowledge, or point me inthe right direction.
    Thank you!

Post the same request in the dedicated BIOS forum. See above.

Comment

Hi, thanks for your advice. Are you referring to the forum called "BIOS requests ONLY!"? I chose to not post this request there because the name seems kinda emphatic about what should be posted there.

Comment

See here (if you have not already):

RCUnlocker - Badcaps

Comment

Yes I saw that post. It describes the features of RCUnlocker.
          What I am interested to know is how to dump the BIOS to a file; and then how to write the modified BIOS file back to the chip.
          My assumption is that RCUnlocker is not used for these steps (am I mistaken?).
          If these steps are not done using RCUnlocker, then what tool or tools are used to do these steps?
          Thanks.

Comment

The best way would be to dessolder the chip, read it with a programmer ( cheap Ch341a from china should suffice ). Then do the necessary changes to the file, flash it again to the chip, and solder it again to the board.

There are clips to access the chip while soldered in the mainboard, but they do not work always ( depend on the board and on experience of user ) . So, the easier way is to remove the chip.

Comment

Removing the chip is beyond me.
              There is a sepaprate post about doing htis with a HP 850 G1 laptop:
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...e3#post1544424
              In that post, there is no mention of removing the BIOS chip.
              Presumably, with this model, the job can be done without removing the chp?

Comment

When they say "backup your bios first using an spi programmer ", mostly it is implied the chip will have already been removed. The clip thing doesn´t work always, so it is harder to use. Maybe get someone to unsolder it for you ?

Comment

Ok thanks for your advice. I was actually looking art ordering gone of those clip things.
                  I will see if i can find someone to unsloder it for me.
                  If I go the unsoldering route, would it be better to just buy an unlocked BIOS chip and have it soldered in, as opposed to extract/modify/rewrite with the original chip? I see they are availalbe on eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by CanukTuk View Post
                    Ok thanks for your advice. I was actually looking art ordering gone of those clip things.
                    I will see if i can find someone to unsloder it for me.
                    If I go the unsoldering route, would it be better to just buy an unlocked BIOS chip and have it soldered in, as opposed to extract/modify/rewrite with the original chip? I see they are availalbe on eBay.
                    You can always try to read the chip on board without desoldering. make sure you read it twice and compare if the dumps are the same. if they are not the same then you have to take out the chip and read and write it.

Comment

Working...
                    X