Clear All

Acer V5-551G no power on

Hello,
    I have an Acer V5-551G that not powering on, motherboard DA0ZRPMB6C0

PU6:
    Pin 16 VIN→19.4V
    Pin 11→ 3.3V Pin 20→ 5V
    Pin 23 (pgood)→ 0.036V
    I've checked 3.3v always on on PL5 and it's ok, and 5v on PL4 ok.

No 3.3V on the power on button...
    On the BIOS chip (25Q32Q8SIG) pin 8 no volt.
    Checked continuity between bios pin 8 and 3.3V (PL5 inductor) but no continuity...
    How is it possible?
    Can someone give me some help?
    Can i check something else?
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bad_IC; 11-17-2022, 05:19 AM.

Re: Acer V5-551G no power on

Sorry, i've attached the schematic: Acer V5-551 Quanta ZRP DAOZRPPC6C0 RevA1A schematic, because i can't find the right DA0ZRPMB6C0 rev C

Comment

check electrolytic caps for 3.3 v and 5 v and 19 v. check power supply.

Comment

PL5 stands for +3VPCU-so there cant be direct connectivity between bios chip pin8, which is powered by +3V_S5. +3VPCU becomes +3V_S5 with PQ25.

You need to check working of PQ16/15/14/13/23/24/33/25 to get some clues.

Comment

Originally posted by rediii View Post
          check electrolytic caps for 3.3 v and 5 v and 19 v. check power supply.
          Thanks for your reply, the 3.3v 5v and 19v are present.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_IC View Post
            Thanks for your reply, the 3.3v 5v and 19v are present.
            that doesn't mean anything . the device is very old, please check at least the 3.3 v and 5 v caps. sayin' this, because i had similar problems in a few cases
            Last edited by rediii; 11-18-2022, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
              PL5 stands for +3VPCU-so there cant be direct connectivity between bios chip pin8, which is powered by +3V_S5. +3VPCU becomes +3V_S5 with PQ25.

You need to check working of PQ16/15/14/13/23/24/33/25 to get some clues.
              Thanks for your reply,
              On pin 1 of PQ25 there are 0V and it is connected with BIOS pin 8.
              On Pin 3 of PQ25 there are 3.3v...

I've found only
              PQ33 drain 3.3v source 0V
              PQ23 drain 5.10V source 0V
              PQ24 drain 5.10V source 0V
              PQ13/14/15 all pins 2 to 9.2v all pins 1 and 3 to ground
              PQ16 pin 0?→ 9.2v and continuity to ground ? When check continuity to ground the motherboard led 1 switches on. Is there a problem on PQ16, can be shorted?
              Thanks
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Bad_IC; 11-18-2022, 05:24 AM.

Comment

that doesn't mean anything . the device is very old, please check at least the 3.3 v and 5 v caps. sayin' this, because i had similar problems in a few cases
                i've Checked caps:
                PC52→ 3,3v
                PC46→ 5V

thanks

Comment

So this proves that you'll get voltage on pin8 of bios chip only after it turns on-thats how acer has designed it.

PQ16,pin3 at 9.2V is again correct as there is a voltage divider between PR58/59(Both being equal, you will get half the input voltage). So nothing suspicious here.

You should follow @rediii's suggestion to remove those electrolyte caps and replace them with 330uF Tantalum caps. If you have a scope ,no need to remove both this caps and you can check for glitch on output. In the absence of scope, just replace them to rule out a possible issue on relatively old laptops.

The problem lies perhaps in SYS_HWPG. This later becomes HWPG thru an array of diodes. I'll suggest to remove D5/6/7/8 and see if it turns on.Just desolder the diodes on one end only so that you dont loose them and reverse polarity by mistake.

Hope this will help you. Goodluck

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_IC View Post
                    Thanks for your reply,
                    On pin 1 of PQ25 there are 0V and it is connected with BIOS pin 8.
                    On Pin 3 of PQ25 there are 3.3v...

I've found only
                    PQ33 drain 3.3v source 0V
                    PQ23 drain 5.10V source 0V
                    PQ24 drain 5.10V source 0V
                    PQ13/14/15 all pins 2 to 9.2v all pins 1 and 3 to ground
                    PQ16 pin 0?→ 9.2v and continuity to ground ? When check continuity to ground the motherboard led 1 switches on. Is there a problem on PQ16, can be shorted?
                    Thanks
                    be careful measuring those diodes and transistors with the multimeter. acer machines are very very sensible at those smds. i had a case where the super i/o got shorted while measuring this thingies. i only had this on acer boards though... please follow mcplslg123 guidance, he is a good guy!

Comment

be careful measuring those diodes and transistors with the multimeter. acer machines are very very sensible at those smds. i had a case where the super i/o got shorted while measuring this thingies. i only had this on acer boards though... please follow mcplslg123 guidance, he is a good guy!
                      @rediii, its not so. You have accidentally touched somewhere. I nver faced any problem in acer in measuring whatsoever component.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                        @rediii, its not so. You have accidentally touched somewhere. I nver faced any problem in acer in measuring whatsoever component.
                        i swear i dind't touch anything. i did it a second time just for reproduction. it happened again... was a funny one

Comment

I've noticed that on power switch there aren't 3.3v and i think the switch have some problem.
                          Can't find on motherboard R124 o C156 that are connected with power switch... Jumpered CN10 pin 24 (NBSWON#) to ground and the laptop starts on , but the PL6 and PL7 and GPU chip becomes very hot. After 15 minutes the display goes off
                          Is it possible there is a GPU problem?
                          Injected 1v to PL6 it absorb 1.4A...
                          Last edited by Bad_IC; 11-19-2022, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X