Macbook pro 2018 15 inch Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macbook pro 2018 15 inch Dead

I found macbook pro from a relation and its dead. I'm thinking to learn from this stuff. Still I didn't even tested the voltages. when I plug power I see one NAND chip heats up. I guess Its about SSD failure. Can you guys help me in this matter. what should I do?

I heard I can't replace only one chip. Is that true? where should I start? this is the first time I'm dealing with macbook.

U8800 chip heats up

Logicboard model No: 820-01041-A

was able to find both brd file and schematics from this forum. here is the link to that.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1566766401
    Last edited by harshana; 10-11-2022, 02:31 PM.

Re: Macbook pro 2018 15 inch Dead

Any Luck

Comment

Have not personally worked on the nands on this model but read from other posts that the NAND should be taken from a donor board of the same.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
        Have not personally worked on the nands on this model but read from other posts that the NAND should be taken from a donor board of the same.
        Thank you so much for the reply mon2. I tried to find nand from donor board and I was able to find programmed Nand chip for the same model from Aliexpress. My question is,

Should I replace NAND before further tests??

I tested roughly, laptop take 20v from the charger and 5v and 3v are present. also I see 1.8v present near ssd chip.

Anyhow I will order the chips today. lets see

Comment

Read this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogra..._specifically/

Comment

Seems Like I can fix this.

here is the link I found from alibaba and ordered it today.

https://m.alibaba.com/product/160047...6gb-500gb.html

I contacted them and they told me that chips are programmed.

Comment

Must fix SSD power rails before killing new SSD ICs.
              If ICs do not come from a similar donor board, they may need to be reconfigured with JC P13.
              OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                Must fix SSD power rails before killing new SSD ICs.
                If ICs do not come from a similar donor board, they may need to be reconfigured with JC P13.
                Hello piernov,

I will test ssd rails. anyhow the seller said that the chip has installed right program.

Sounds like they have programmed. will look into power rails. Someone has tried to remove the logicboard and some screws are damaged. need to find a way to remove them.

Comment

Finally I fucked up everything. When I remove defective NAND chip some pads on the the board damaged. Completely my mistake. anyhow I canceled the order from alibaba because its useless to order chips now.

unexpected experience to me. I learned something.

Comment

We have all been there. Lots of flux with enough heat and air pressure to gently nudge the IC.

Only when the ic is swimming in liquid solder, then remove it.

Comment

We have all been there. Lots of flux with enough heat and air pressure to gently nudge the IC.

Only when the ic is swimming in liquid solder, then remove it.
                      mm. I was afraid about the other components. so I used lower temperature. anyway I will try to find another logicboard to fix this stuff. lets see.

Thanks for the support

Comment

@harshana, you learnt a hard lession but at what cost?? You damaged a expensive machine. Thats why always practice on scrap boards unless and until you feel confident.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                          @harshana, you learnt a hard lession but at what cost?? You damaged a expensive machine. Thats why always practice on scrap boards unless and until you feel confident.
                          I purchased this laptop for 370$. full set with box. Im trying to find a dead logic board and replace. if I failed I should sell other parts to cover the cost. Thats the only hope I have.

Thats the main lesson I learned. small mistake but expensive.

I totally agree with you.

Comment

Hello. I purchased another logic board from ebay to fix this laptop. but that motherboard also not working. I feel the haptic when I click on the trackpad but no backlights or nothing on screen.

Comment

Here is the latest update. I was able to turn on the laptop but I see lines flickering on the display. I checked also keyboard backlight not working. how I troubleshoot those things?

Comment

Have you DFU restored it? Once you replace the NAND you always have to DFU restore the board
                                sigpic
                                MEOWING IN THE IMPOSSIBLE UNIVERSE!

Comment

Working...
                                X