X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop DC Socket removal

Hi everybody,
    I am new to this forum.
    I don't know whether this is the correct place to post it.
    Anyway my problem is ;
    I am trying to replace the DC socket of a laptop motherboard, the model being Medion MD96630.
    Even though I have only got very basic soldering skils I have so far replaced a dozen of laptop DC Sockets.
    But I have never encoutered this type of soldering.
    The solder around the pins look yellowish and the amount of solder used is less than with other normal solder joints.
    I tried to remove the socket with my normal 30W and 60W soldering irons but it did not help.
    My question is;
    Is this a different type of solder (maybe with copper? )?
    Or is it a coating or glue on top of regular solder?
    How do I remove this solder?

Thanks in advance,

KNAD

Re: Laptop DC Socket removal

I've done a few myself and never had a problem.
    Could be it's lead-free solder (which I have also not encountered yet) which from what I hear needs more heat. I'm sure others will chime in.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Thanks for your response.
      I was also thinking this is lead-free solder. But lead-free solder should melt below 250C ?
      My soldering iron is rated upto 380C. And Itried several soldering irons including one upto 450C.
      I bought some lead-free solder (99.3Sn) to try and my soldering iron can easily work with this solder.
      I am a part time computer technician and this laptop(infact two of the same model) came from a computer shop who said it is too difficult replace the socket. I thought they mentioned it in general but I realize now it in particular this case.
      I hope somebody will be able to explain this.

Comment

Just a update,
        I could not desolder the socket by any means.
        Finally I got myself some jewellers diamond coated drill bits and a dremel and drilled the holes out. It worked perfectly.
        New experience to add to my socket repairt skills.
        Anyway I am now ready for any type of socket repair LOL!

Comment

Drilling can remove the plate through. Drilling should only be used as a last resort.
          sig files are for morons

Comment

ye i agree dont get found of drilling method cause it will come back to haunt you

Comment

What i have done in the past with thoose hard to desolder DC jacks are to heat them up with a heatgun. Just tape the SMT chips around it and pull the DC jack out carefully. The ones ihave most trouble with are the Dell DC jacks

Comment

Use Chipquik they come off in seconds.
                Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

The yellow stuff is flux. The copper is just thick in that part of the board, thats why it won't come off. I vote for the smd rework gun.

Place board upside down, heat, watch the jack fall.

Comment

If you're not careful with your aim you could watch some SMD components fall too .
                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

use a heat barrier of some sort always ...

Anyhow correct it is flux great stuff but at times it does suck I have took a dremel to headphone jacks in mp3 players cut them off and desoldered and poked out what was bad before with a paper clip.

For desoldering basic tools are desoldering iron, desoldering braid, heat gun, smd workstation, and chipquck? Never used chip quick thanks for the advice...
                      Please note: I am not responsible for any harm caused to you anything discussed is just discussion. Before you try anything discussed be sure that you have the appropriate knowledge and safety gear for the job. Like with anything education and safety are first! Do not try anything @ home without it.

Comment

Working...
                      X