• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Originally posted by freeman300 View Post
    All right sounds intresting.

Any ideas how to do it? +125°C for 1-1.5h

Quote from Wikipedia:
    Soft solder is what is most often thought of when solder or soldering is mentioned and it typically has a melting range of 90 to 450 °C (190 to 840 °F).[citation needed] It is commonly used in electronics and plumbing. Alloys that melt between 180 and 190 °C (360 and 370 °F) are the most commonly used. Soldering performed using alloys with melting point above 450 °C (840 °F) is called 'hard soldering', 'silver soldering' or brazing

If I am about to try this how to do it? Hot air pistol?
    Like I said before. "its a long shot"
    Its best for it to be a temperature controlled hot air gun. I would try 150C.
    Can you test for ripple on the Vcore rail?

Comment

Is it ok to turn on the laptop without the nec token? Im about to replace the bad cap for Toshiba Satellite L305-S5894.

Comment

Originally posted by dromango View Post
        Is it ok to turn on the laptop without the nec token? Im about to replace the bad cap for Toshiba Satellite L305-S5894.
        I can not predict what will happen. It is best to not do it.

Comment

Ive tried it once without nectokin

no display only and auto shutdown XD

Comment

I ask because, even when you guys install caps, some of you say the problem is not fixed. so I am just getting a clear idea here. well, I know its never too good to turn on something without its pieces...

Comment

what i have done so far is to remove the SuperCap ( NECTOKIN) and Solder 4 330uF Tantalum Caps to where the NECTOKIN was. U will need to carefully scratch the UV coat.

i have done more then 30 laptops with the NECTOKIN in the last 6 months and all worked well.

Comment

a have a problem with my client toshiba blackout with intermittent power.

Ive already replaced 4 330uf same problem

2 330uf same problem

2 220uf same problem

2 220 and 2 330 same problem

check the lan because it was blinking upon pressing the power button

remove the controller ic of the lan

but still same problem after I on the unit shutoff no display or what

ive noticed that the proc is not heating up

tried new proc same problem

any ideas sir/mam?

ive also noticed that the nothbridge was over reheated by other tech that handled this first

pls help me on this
                Last edited by johnwafu; 08-27-2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

My friend have Satellite L200 that cannot boot. No post. Battery already depleted. When I plug in the power, the charging led and wireless led will automatically light up. When I pressed power button/switch, it charging led,wireless led,power led and hdd led will light up for 4-6 sec then after that only the charging led and wireless led remain light on. I already changed the NEC/TOKIN OE128. What could be the problems? I'm thinking there is shorting else where but I don't know how to look/find for it. Any help gentleman??

Comment

Originally posted by Newtonkh View Post
                    what i have done so far is to remove the SuperCap ( NECTOKIN) and Solder 4 330uF Tantalum Caps to where the NECTOKIN was. U will need to carefully scratch the UV coat.

i have done more then 30 laptops with the NECTOKIN in the last 6 months and all worked well.
                    Hi Newtonkh
                    Can you tell us what the Esr was, on your suggested Tantalum Caps
                    Thxs

Comment

i have a laptop samsung with a NEC TOKIN OE687

can anyone suggest replace cap values. i have looked for spec sheet but could not find it

Comment

Originally posted by davida999 View Post

can anyone suggest replace cap values. i have looked for spec sheet but could not find it
                        i have found the following which may help

where for Capacitance e.g. 128=1200uF
                        First two digits represent significant figures.
                        Third digit specifies number of zeros to follow.

Comment

Apparently there is not much info available about OE687 on the Internet.

OE687 refers to a capacitance of 68 followed by 7 zeros in picofarads (i.e., 680000000pF), which is 680uF (microfarads). These Proadlizers usually have ESR of between 1 to 2mΩ. Therefore, you should consider replacing it with four caps of the type T520V227M004ATE006 or similar.
                          Last edited by Notsosure; 09-02-2012, 09:35 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Notsosure View Post
                            Apparently there is not much info available about OE687 on the Internet.

OE687 refers to a capacitance of 68 followed by 7 zeros in Pico Faraday (i.e., 680000000pF), which is 680uF. These Proadlizers usually have ESR of between 1 to 2mΩ. Therefore, you should consider replacing it with four caps of the type T520V227M004ATE006 or similar.
                            thanks Notsosure

i did find this datasheet on the oe687 (PSGD0E687M7)
                            http://www.datasheetarchive.com/PSGD...datasheet.html

the mouser item T520V227M004ATE006 seems to have a min buy of 320 units on a roll.

could i sub the RS 470's and exceed the uF rating by nearly double or use multiple 100uF caps?

i'm in bris australia

Comment

could i sub the RS 470's and exceed the uF rating by nearly double or use multiple 100uF caps?
                              The datasheet appears to be for small caps and I thought you have a large cap (i.e., Proadlizer) in your laptop?

If you do not want to experiment much then 7 or 8 of 100uF ceramic caps might be the easiest way to go. If you do not mind experimenting then you could try 2 or 3 of RS Stock No. 737-2832 or similar. 3 will give a total of 1410uF which is around twice the present capacitance.
                              Last edited by Notsosure; 09-02-2012, 09:37 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Being in Australia, RS might be a reasonably priced source because of free shipping.
                                Last edited by Notsosure; 09-02-2012, 09:38 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

The datasheet appears to be for small caps and I thought you have a large cap (i.e., Proadlizer) in your laptop?

If you do not want to experiment much then 7 or 8 of 100uF ceramic caps might be the easiest way to go. If you do not mind experimenting then you could try 2 or 3 of RS Stock No. 737-2832 or similar. 3 will give a total of 1410uF which is around twice the present capacitance.
                                  thanks Notsosure, sorry about the datasheet, i'm not into board level stuff. it is a proadilizer. with the 100uf ceramics how is the ESR calculated or doesn't it relate to them?

Comment

with the 100uf ceramics how is the ESR calculated or doesn't it relate to them?
                                    Their ESR is probably 1mΩ so it is not a concern at all but their temp limit appears to be 85C, which too is usually not a problem unless laptop runs very hot for some reason:
                                    http://translate.google.com.au/trans...ed=0CG8Q7gEwBg

Comment

Their ESR is probably 1mΩ so it is not a concern at all but their temp limit appears to be 85C, which too is usually not a problem unless laptop runs very hot for some reason:
                                      http://translate.google.com.au/trans...ed=0CG8Q7gEwBg
                                      thanks again Notsosure. i'm going to try the tantalums because they are easy to get`from RS. its pretty hard to source any of the other options.

i really appreciate you taking the time to post advice here and in the many other posts i've seen here and elsewhere.

Comment

i'm going to try the tantalums because they are easy to get`from RS.
                                        You can actually get 10 of GRM31CR60J107ME39L from RS for $17 delivered, if you wish to. Of course, if you are willing to experiment with other caps then any inputs from you might help others. The choice is yours.

Comment

You can actually get 10 of GRM31CR60J107ME39L from RS for $17 delivered, if you wish to. Of course, if you are willing to experiment with other caps then any inputs from you might help others. The choice is yours.
                                          thanks Notsosure, i didn't think of searching by the part #. i will order them today.

Comment

Working...
                                          X