Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Originally posted by conan51 View Post
    Next day I powered up the machine which was ten days ago and my laptop is working well almost notstop up till now.
    Since you have given a new lease of life to your laptop from a hopeless situation your efforts are really commendable. However, your solution is a strange solution that takes us to unchatered territory and therefore I would advise it to be avoided unless people have no other alternative. I would be surprised if this solution would last long. At this stage we can only wait and watch. Please do keep us updated in any case.

Comment

I agree with both of you Wester and Notsosure.

I am thinking about the flux rather than tocin. The situation of the flux will determine time period of new life. Flux will not definitely be living long.
      It is going to be dried up though hopefully I am giving a chance of several months.
      I will post again if it fails.

Comment

i have a300-1hv laptop that has had the usual symptons when plugging in adapter laptop would go off within a min or two.
        ordered some caps from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3307881228...ht_2370wt_1045
        and after as very carefully chipping out old tokin chip,resoldered and painstaking soldered the new caps (very small chips,and fat fingers)and so far so good touch wood had a movie stream bbci player on it this morning playing would`nt even consider it before new chips.
        thank you all,for the pictures and information on this thread given out i for one am very grateful for.

Comment

He doesn't provide any specs on those caps. I would recommend against buying them until you know what they are.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by zenith View Post
            thank you all,for the pictures and information on this thread given out i for one am very grateful for.
            You have made your laptop work again, which is no mean achievement. Congrats!

However, mockingbird is right in saying that one should not randomly pick caps without knowing their specs. There are numerous suggestions in this thread that you could have followed. Most importantly you should look for single digit ESR caps such as http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/tantal...itors/0147639/ or others with even better specs. You are lucky that they are working for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Notsosure View Post
              You have made your laptop work again, which is no mean achievement. Congrats!

However, mockingbird is right in saying that one should not randomly pick caps without knowing their specs. There are numerous suggestions in this thread that you could have followed. Most importantly you should look for single digit ESR caps such as http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/tantal...itors/0147639/ or others with even better specs. You are lucky that they are working for you.
              i only posted the link to let other members who have been having same problems as myself know that i have them fitted in my laptop and are at present working fine but will let this forum know if that changes.
              again thanks for the info provided

Comment

Can anybody tell me what caps they've tried and worked for a toshiba A200 with NEC/TOKIN OE128? i've been buged with this laptop's problem for almost 2 years and now I opened it up and gave the motherboard to some thch guy(I hope) to remove the cap because I don't have the tools needed for the job. So what caps shloud I chose? Thanks in advance!(I've read all the thread but I can't decide and I to be honest I don't know if it's better/worse/the same to use 470uF or 330uF or 2.5v/6V). Regards!

Comment

For OE128, the following (or similar) replacements could be tried (in the preferential order of my guesswork):
                  PSGV0E337M6
                  T520V337M004ATE007
                  T520V337M2R5ATE007
                  T528Z337M2R5ATE008
                  T520V337M2R5ATE009
                  PSGV0E337M9
                  NTP477M2.5TRV(6)F
                  PSGV0E477M9
                  OE128 (will definitely work but may not last long)

For OE907, the following (or similar) replacements could be tried (in the preferential order of my guesswork):
                  PSGV0E337M6
                  T520V227M004ATE006
                  T520V337M004ATE007
                  T520V337M2R5ATE007
                  GRM31CR60J107ME39L
                  T528Z337M2R5ATE008
                  T520V337M2R5ATE009
                  PSGV0E337M9
                  NTP477M2.5TRV(6)F
                  PSGV0E477M9
                  OE907 (will definitely work but may not last long)

Also, look at the guidelines: http://www.niccomp.com/help/capsubguide.asp

Comment

UPDATE : my toshiba A205 satellite has seen heavy usage since doing this repair 19days ago, and so far so good.

i've noticed people asking about an adequate replacement for the NEC TOKIN OE128, i would like to report that i have had good results with 4 KEMET T520 SMT polymer caps(2.5V 330uF) .

i would also like to remind others out there, that i managed to fix this , even though i have little soldering experience.

SUGGESTIONS:
                    1) dont be fooled by the close up pics on this site , the replacement caps are tiny, so picking up a set of tweezers will make this job a lot easier.
                    2)ask a friend(with steady hands) to help you out. 4hands>2
                    3) when tinning the pads, a soldering pump might come in handy to help remove any excess solder
                    4) soldering iron, the smaller the tip, the better. i used a small pointed tip soldering iron.
                    5) for TOKIN OE128 removal, see posts #221 & #225 (thanks rievax)

good luck

Comment

Just like Kemet's T520, T528 also appears to offer several options for replacement:
                      http://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homep...25730900609DBA

http://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homepage/kechome.nsf/weben/E0686BC1CDF66DCC8525788D0076E473/$file/KEM_T2018_T528.pdf
                      Last edited by Notsosure; 09-23-2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

hi all great info on here.
                        I nearly missed this because of a flat battery, abut once charged displayed the no boot with ac plugged in and freeze when plugging in once in os.
                        It is an A200

i replaced the nec/token oe128 with another one and i have now moved on slightly in that it does not freeze anymore when i plug in the power when in windows.
                        However i now have a boot issue if i try to boot up with the power lead in it dies. this happens in safe mode or normal. dies around the vista progress bar time.
                        Boots perfectly on battery though.

Any pointers?

Thanks

E

Comment

It is a great discussion. I was also having same problem with my A305-S6837. Day by day it deteriorate. Finally I replace NEC0927 with another new one, and my laptop was alive again. I work almost half an hour on battery power and after realizing that it needs charging, I connect adapter and WHOOOPS. It shut downs.
                          Now condition is that, that it shows no life even on battery. (not even battery light comes up. It is completely dead)
                          Can someone advice

Comment

Originally posted by abbas101 View Post
                            It is a great discussion. I was also having same problem with my A305-S6837. Day by day it deteriorate. Finally I replace NEC0927 with another new one, and my laptop was alive again. I work almost half an hour on battery power and after realizing that it needs charging, I connect adapter and WHOOOPS. It shut downs.
                            Now condition is that, that it shows no life even on battery. (not even battery light comes up. It is completely dead)
                            Can someone advice
                            It probably was the power supply at fault! That caused the computer to start crashing. Then once you fixed it, you plugged it in and it finally fried something on the mobo. just my 2 cents

I would open it up, and check for blown parts, such as diodes, MOSFETs, fuses, and the VRM controllers.
                            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

No. It was not power adapter (I have 2 of them). As like for majority of cases It starts crashing when ever adapter was connected and works perfectly with battery after disabling one core. In its last days it even refuse to starts on battery. I first replace NEC TOKIN OE907 with 4 capacitors of 330uf 2.5v but it didnt work. But as soon as I replace those 4 capacitors with TOKIN it shows no earlier symptoms and I was successful in enabling the disabled core.

I have looked very closely but there seems no blown out fuse or capacitors.

Comment

May I shunt it with those 8 big planar ceramic ones in order to restore capacity? I have no idea what caps are those, they seem unmarked.
                                It's the old Intel e100 (PRO/100 S) ethernet card, I can't find anything more suitable so far.

Last edited by joric; 10-03-2012, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joric View Post
                                  May I shunt it with those 8 big planar ceramic ones in order to restore capacity?
                                  I presume you are trying to add these ceramic caps of unknown specs to the existing Proadlizer so as to increase total capacitance and decrease ESR. There is some obvious risk and the job is likely to be messy but who knows it might actually work. However, why are you not considering a simpler solution of replacing the Proadlizer with http://cz.rs-online.com/web/p/tantal...633D4E4F4E4526 or others listed above?

Comment

Hey guys, I replaced the same nec 0e907 chip on the Toshiba Satellite L305-S5894.

as a temporary fix, I cleaned the motherboard surface really good, put the chip on, then I put on heat resistance super glue. then added 3 pennies to hold it down so it doesnt pop out. The whole soldering idea was a difficult task unless I had one of those $20,000 infrared machines.
                                    Last edited by dromango; 10-05-2012, 02:16 AM.

Comment

What resistance is there between + and -? After adding ceramics, my tester was beeping like there was a short circuit. I removed extra capacitors and checked afterwards - still beeping. Who checked it what it supposed to be? Maybe it's just very low? When I assembled everything back it started fine (overheated as before, but fine).

Comment

Originally posted by joric View Post
                                        What resistance is there between + and -?
                                        I have consistently measured it as a little over 5Ω (after zero adjustement), rievax measured it as 6Ω and inflex got it as 3-5Ω. Therefore, the measurement so far is between 3-6Ω. Any shorting between + and - suggests a possible soldering problem that needs to be corrected.

Overheating problem usually requires addressing possible issues involving fan, dust, heat sink, thermal paste, overclocking, etc.

Comment

Managed to add 4 ceramic capacitors. Worst soldering ever, LOL. Didn't really change anything (guess it really wasn't supposed to, those caps are most probably 0.1 uF each). Still overheating, waiting for new pipes.

Comment

Working...
                                          X