Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Received my order of NEC/TOKIN caps today... tomorrow I'll see how things go for getting them back on the PCB
    YouTube Repair Videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/19PLD73
    FlexBV BoardView software - Linux/OSX/Windows - http://pldaniels.com/flexbv

Comment

Originally posted by Philby View Post
      I have a diploma in marine engineering so I can fix boats but I think this notebook is about to sink.
      "Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent."

Comment

Originally posted by Notsosure View Post
        Yes, that is the best one can do and hope for the best. Ultimately the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Therefore, you will know the result when you power it up. One can never be 100% sure. In the unlikely event of laptop not working one will have to diagnose the problem again. Best of luck anyway.
        Once again, you were right!

over the weekend, i cleaned up the motherboard with some contact spray, looked everything over one last time, and then took my time to reassemble the laptop. i am happy to report that it is working once again.

... if anyone else is interested, i used 4 KEMET T520 SMT polymer caps(2.5V 330uF)

its been in use for 3 days now, and so far, so good

i would like to thank everyone on the board that contributed the abundance of useful information , and a big thanks to NOTSOSURE for taking the time out to answer some of my questions.

Comment

Originally posted by branko View Post
          its been in use for 3 days now, and so far, so good
          Glad that your efforts paid off. Congrats!

Comment

If anyone is interested I repaired my Toshiba L305-S5875 with the help of this forum. Thank you!!

The laptop used the NEC Tokin 0E128 and I replaced it with 4 Kemet capacitors P/N T520V337M004ATE007 from Mouser for $3.12 each. USPS priority mail is about 5 bucks and they deliver in about two days. They were 7mOhms, 4 volts at 330uF. I used the 4 volts only because they were cheaper than the 2.5 volts and it does give it a bit more voltage margin. If that even matters. $20 bucks delivered to my door and it fixed the deal!!

Also the gap between the two conductors is rather small and it would be easy to short the cap across it when soldering. I just scraped of some of the green solder resist to exposed a wider conductor bar, tinned it and soldered on the caps almost perpendicular to the existing bars with plenty of room.

The unit powered up and works great!!! Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by brooksair View Post
              Also the gap between the two conductors is rather small and it would be easy to short the cap across it when soldering. I just scraped of some of the green solder resist to exposed a wider conductor bar, tinned it and soldered on the caps almost perpendicular to the existing bars with plenty of room.
              Good job. congrats!

Comment

I would say T520V337M004ATE007 and T520V337M2R5ATE007 are somewhat better selections but digikey.ca probably does not have enough stock.
                It does not make much sense to go for T520V337M2R5ATE007 if that is significantly costlier because both would give exactly the same result.

Comment

I was going to replace nec 0e907 with a new one. but now my screen doesnt turn on? I dont hear any beeps. hard drive and battery disconnected, used a power plug to test the replacement out.

did I screw something up here?

Comment

brooksair - Do you have any pictures? I'm going try to fix mine this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by ablacon64 View Post
                      I had the opportunity to solve another one with that same problem, this time I took some pictures. Hope it helps.

The notebook is a Toshiba Satellite A305-S6872.

The first image shows the capacitor removed, board cleaned.
                      The second, new solder added to the pads.
                      And finally, the finished job.

After the change machine is no longer Datta
                      What problem
                      Albroossor no heat
                      What problem
                      I treat all the previous steps exactly
                      What problem

Comment

After the change machine is no longer Datta
                        What problem
                        Albroossor no heat
                        What problem
                        I treat all the previous steps exactly
                        What problem

Comment

Did the soldering cause a short circuit?

Comment

Originally posted by cjkw99 View Post
                            brooksair - Do you have any pictures? I'm going try to fix mine this weekend.
                            The only pictures I took were as notes for assembly. If it's any help, here is a picture of the chip that was replaced.

Attached Files

Comment

Replaced mine with a new TOKIN, power LED comes up, nothing responds though. I show 3~5 ohms between the +/- contacts on the cap pads.
                              YouTube Repair Videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/19PLD73
                              FlexBV BoardView software - Linux/OSX/Windows - http://pldaniels.com/flexbv

Comment

Originally posted by inflex View Post
                                Replaced mine with a new TOKIN, power LED comes up, nothing responds though. I show 3~5 ohms between the +/- contacts on the cap pads.
                                I have just tested an old A200 main board. I read 6Ω with the CPU still fitted and about 900Ω with the CPU removed.

Comment

I just fixed my Toshiba A205-S4777 by following all of the great advice on this forum. I'm thrilled to have my laptop working without locking up while plugged in.

I used 4 T520D337M004ATE007 from Digi-Key for about $12 delivered to replace the NEC/TOKIN OE128.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...57-1-ND/992090

This was my first attempt at SMT soldering.

Thanks again to everyone for the detailed posts.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cjkw99 View Post
                                    I used 4 T520D337M004ATE007 from Digi-Key for about $12 delivered to replace the NEC/TOKIN OE128.
                                    Congrats! That is a great price for one of the best suited specs, except the height that may not suit most people. T520V337M004ATE007 (or T520V337M2R5ATE007) are better for replacing both OE128 and OE907.
                                    Last edited by Notsosure; 09-15-2012, 03:39 PM.

Comment

This is my solution.
                                      Firstly, I didn't want to take nec-tokin 0128 out before seeing inside of it. Cause since I am living in Turkey, It could be very hard to find right caps. (laptop is A205 Toshiba)
                                      Anyway, without damaging the interior parts, I cut upper side of nec-tokin.
                                      Carefully made this with a razor blade. after doing this it was obvious that problem was nec-tokin.
                                      I am sorry could not take photos (No camera). A very small area of silvery surface was yellow.
                                      Then with a quality watch maker tweezers I started to scrape the whole surface of bridge till it became black.(not more than)
                                      Cleaned with a damp cloth many times while doing this.
                                      Finally put some flux around, upper and undersides.

Next day I powered up the machine which was ten days ago and my laptop is working well almost notstop up till now.

In my opinion this can be tried once as removing nec-tokin may not be the only solution. (in some circumstances)

Thank you very much.

Comment

Congrats! That is a great price for one of the best suited specs, except the height that may not suit most people. T520V337M004ATE007 (or T520V337M2R5ATE007) are better for replacing both OE128 and OE907.
                                        I agree. However, there is plenty of headroom on the A205-S4777 motherboard to accomodate the extra height. So it was a price vs. asthetics decision. Fortunately, electrons don't care much about the latter.

Your advice and commentary to others made this easy. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by conan51 View Post
                                          This is my solution.
                                          Firstly, I didn't want to take nec-tokin 0128 out before seeing inside of it. Cause since I am living in Turkey, It could be very hard to find right caps. (laptop is A205 Toshiba)
                                          Anyway, without damaging the interior parts, I cut upper side of nec-tokin.
                                          Carefully made this with a razor blade. after doing this it was obvious that problem was nec-tokin.
                                          I am sorry could not take photos (No camera). A very small area of silvery surface was yellow.
                                          Then with a quality watch maker tweezers I started to scrape the whole surface of bridge till it became black.(not more than)
                                          Cleaned with a damp cloth many times while doing this.
                                          Finally put some flux around, upper and undersides.

Next day I powered up the machine which was ten days ago and my laptop is working well almost notstop up till now.

In my opinion this can be tried once as removing nec-tokin may not be the only solution. (in some circumstances)

Thank you very much.
                                          So, in brief, as Notsosure has also suggested, the NEC Tokin chip just needs better airflow (though I imagine it would eventually fail)?

Comment

Working...
                                          X