Is this Lenovo Super I/O chip dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this Lenovo Super I/O chip dead?

The laptop stopped working after the charging cable was accidentally dragged across the room! This resulted in the charging port getting torn apart and short circuiting.
    I got a new charging port but this did not fix the issue and as I was investigating the board I discovered the marks on the Super I/O chip. I wiped off what seemed to be a powdery substance that was exactly above where the marks are around the first 'o' in the lenovo logo on the chip
    My question is this do I need to get a new SIO chip and try replacing it?
    Attached Files

Re: Is this Lenovo Super I/O chip dead?

Most likely yes, and you need to probably reprogram it also.

Comment

no laptop model, no board marking, no schematic

we take our crystall ball and tell u what exactly is your problem

Comment

Such clinical cases wen fire comes out of chips are often fatal, you may have dead Intel combined CPU in addition. Data code on SIO tells that is middle 2014, guess this is something based on Hasswel... No board name - no points to diagnostics.

Comment

Terribly sorry!
          It's a Lenovo G50-45 Model: 80E3
          The laptop is fully dead, no power, no charging. I took a multimeter and had a go at diagnosing the motherboard when I saw the Controller IC as you see it. And after furious googling I couldn't find a picture of a chip with similar damage, so I though I'd show the IC someone that might know what they are looking at :-)

Comment

Check resistance to gnd on LE1. If low, remove the EC and repeat measurement. On ebay they sell it already programmed also.

Comment

no measurements needed. that ec is dead

Comment

It is super dead. I have four Lenovo motherboards like that. I want to order for a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by khaahk View Post
                  Most likely yes, and you need to probably reprogram it also.
                  Hi, Wanna ask, can i use any Lenovo IT8586E Super I/O chip (already programmed) on any Lenovo Motherboard using that same type of Super I/O or the Programmed Super I/O Chip is Model specific?

For example, I have Two (2) Lenovo G40-30, One (1) Lenovo G50-45 and One (1) Lenovo Ideapad 11e. They are all using that particular model of Super I/O. So, the programs have to be according to their model or not necessarily?

Comment

u can try. coding is specific for model, but close models can start and than when u start system, u can update biosand it update EC

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
                      u can try. coding is specific for model, but close models can start and than when u start system, u can update biosand it update EC
                      Ok, noted. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X