Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus A53SJ-SK230V stuck..

Hi Guys,

I have an Asus A53SJ who stopped working, no video on screen and hdmi.
    When I plug in the power, some led's light up, including the power switch led.
    The powerswitch is overruled and does nothing, can't switch off the system.
    For the rest everything is dead. After a while the fan comes on when the cpu gets good warm. Tried another CPU, no change.
    Tried to recover the bios, but that does not work. This laptop does not have a automatic device selection sequence. Normally, if you want to boot from the usb, you have to select that in the bios and it only works once. Since I can't get in, this recovery can't be done.

I can't find any schematics, only the board view. Mobo is K53SV V2.3.

Can someone pls tell me how to approach this problem?

Re: Asus A53SJ-SK230V stuck..

Reprogram the bios to start with. try programmer but should load the same version flashed.

Comment

yesterday i fix one like yours with dc jack broken and after i assembled i forgot the the power button foil out! yes it was late i open 2 times the notebook and did not knew why it does not power on!
      It had tape over the foil.

check for any corrosion on the board
      Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by tibd View Post
        Reprogram the bios to start with. try programmer but should load the same version flashed.
        thx, but I do not have a programmer yet and as I explained, I can't let the laptop start from usb. I wish I could. Does it automaticly seek the usb?

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
          yesterday i fix one like yours with dc jack broken and after i assembled i forgot the the power button foil out! yes it was late i open 2 times the notebook and did not knew why it does not power on!
          It had tape over the foil.

check for any corrosion on the board
          Thx. I will check for corrosion. The missing foil shorts do not apply here, because he does the same with the mobo out.
          This laptop also came in with dc jack badly repaired with too much of tin, making a shortcut and the pcs of mobo side of it were broken off.
          I fixed that as good as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by hansie55 View Post
            thx, but I do not have a programmer yet and as I explained, I can't let the laptop start from usb. I wish I could. Does it automaticly seek the usb?

I would definetly try to make a bootable DOS- CD with bios.rom image and the flasher software which is possible to get through the asus website. Try to search ASUS site for a bootable CD version of bios and try with that. Boot without prepherals and HDD. I see that its not your laptop originally otherwise there should be some sort of crash-free bios launchable from included CD within the newer versions. But never to say that such was included witht this one!!!
            Last edited by tibd; 12-22-2014, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I would definetly try to make a bootable DOS- CD with bios.rom image and the flasher software which is possible to get through the asus website. Try to search ASUS site for a bootable CD version of bios and try with that. Boot without prepherals and HDD. I see that its not your laptop originally otherwise there should be some sort of crash-free bios launchable from included CD within the newer versions. But never to say that such was included witht this one!!!
              Thx for yr idea, but the sytem does not boot at all, only the lights go on.
              When I try with bios .bin on usb stick and press window-key+B and plug in the power, the light goes on and off a couple of times, like he is seeking for the file but can't find it.

Comment

Thx for yr idea, but the sytem does not boot at all, only the lights go on.
                When I try with bios .bin on usb stick and press window-key+B and plug in the power, the light goes on and off a couple of times, like he is seeking for the file but can't find it.
                Then make a bootable USB with dos, copy the flash software and rom.img there and see if it helps that way. Otherwise fine someone near you to help programming the bios chip.
                Any further trouble shooting on motherboard?

Included sw needed for creating bootable dos USB, floppy and CD. Hope you get it done. I can help flashing the chip for you but u have to send it to Sweden with prepaid return. No further charges for the programming.
                Attached Files

Comment

do you got pictures of the board?
                  hansie

Comment

Then make a bootable USB with dos, copy the flash software and rom.img there and see if it helps that way. Otherwise fine someone near you to help programming the bios chip.
                    Any further trouble shooting on motherboard?

Included sw needed for creating bootable dos USB, floppy and CD. Hope you get it done. I can help flashing the chip for you but u have to send it to Sweden with prepaid return. No further charges for the programming.
                    Thx for the offer. I might take you up on that. I will try the boot first.

Comment

do you got pictures of the board?
                      hansie
                      Herewith, quality is not all that, I hope good enough.
                      Attached Files

Comment

do you got any signal on hdmi ?

connect the fan adapter memory and power button and see if you got signal.
                        if yes go for a reflow even if not go for a reflow.

cook the the whole board! :>

Comment

i have a non working asus k54 here and it is the dc jack. seems put in place, but no 5 and 3.3 volt. if i move power cord it works, so ordered a new dc jack. mainbord looks exact like your board, so if u need some measurement, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                            i have a non working asus k54 here and it is the dc jack. seems put in place, but no 5 and 3.3 volt. if i move power cord it works, so ordered a new dc jack. mainbord looks exact like your board, so if u need some measurement, let me know.

If you move the power cord and it works on battery then its not the power jack. Check the first two mosfet on Vin line for shorts or the charger chip.

Comment

do you got any signal on hdmi ?

connect the fan adapter memory and power button and see if you got signal.
                              if yes go for a reflow even if not go for a reflow.

cook the the whole board! :>
                              no signal on hdmi, also not with your items connected.
                              Thinking about the reflow

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                                thx for the offer, but I don't know where to start without the schematics

tibd: same, without schematics and the components are not numbered.
                                Last edited by hansie55; 12-26-2014, 08:38 AM.

Comment

dellXPS15 - This is the power jack with the solder connection at the back of it. I had one that had an almost invisible crack where it goes from the MB and joins the jack. It is a bad design as when you push in an adapter it pushes that pin away and it eventually cracks. My board did the same and made intermittent connection when it was manipulated.

Comment

Sparker.You had cracks. By me in this 'fine design" the piece of pcb between the power jack and the RJ45 was completely broken off and from the outside piece the last piece from the last island disapeared.I tried to solder the tracks together again with plenty tin. but I do not know if there are tracks inside the multilayer and again, no schematic, so I can't check that. Are there any extra connections besides the + and -that have to be made?

Comment

Hi Guys,

I have an Asus A53SJ who stopped working, no video on screen and hdmi.
                                      When I plug in the power, some led's light up, including the power switch led.
                                      The powerswitch is overruled and does nothing, can't switch off the system.
                                      For the rest everything is dead. After a while the fan comes on when the cpu gets good warm. Tried another CPU, no change.
                                      Tried to recover the bios, but that does not work. This laptop does not have a automatic device selection sequence. Normally, if you want to boot from the usb, you have to select that in the bios and it only works once. Since I can't get in, this recovery can't be done.

I can't find any schematics, only the board view. Mobo is K53SV V2.3.

Can someone pls tell me how to approach this problem?
                                      It's been my experience that a laptop that powers up and all the LEDs and stuff light up but nothing is on the screen, it's likely an overheating issue...

Once you eliminate the more mundane like memory, HD or battery issue, it's almost certain to be that the GPU has overheated and separated from the MB..

The fix for this is a "reflow" process whereas you disassemble the laptop and put the bare motherboard on an Infrared Pre-Heater...

This is what I use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCB-PREHEATI...item51c778bf0f

Make sure you take off all the plastic sheets and covers because they will melt and could pull off components as the melt...

Set the Ownta for 260c. I use a Laser Thermometer to make sure the temp in the GPU area gets to 370f which is the temp that solder begins to melt..

Once you reach that temp, hit a timer for 60 seconds..

Once the timer goes off, CAREFULLY remove the MB and place it on a flat surface to cool.. It will be hot and if you jar it too bad or drop it, you will lose components...

I have resurrected literally thousands of laptops using this process and I have a 96% success rate on this particular symptom...

Good luck...

Comment

Michale32086. thx for the advice.I will check it out

Comment

Working...
                                        X