can't boot HP G60-535DX, Win7 Startup Repair loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't boot HP G60-535DX, Win7 Startup Repair loop

This difficult repair started with a PUP infection, namely crawler.com, which was a gateway for a few other apps like the rogue AV Spyware Clear. I used some fairly reliable tools to remove these programs. Things were working good, but there were issues. First, I got a BSOD every time the laptop timed out to sleep mode. Then I started getting BSOD when I tried to access the internet with newly installed Firefox 34. I sort of gave up, and tried to re-install Win 7. The installation from the recovery partition crashed, saying that the recovery software was corrupted. From here on I have experienced a non-booting condition, which I have gradually improved. At this point I would like to digress, to mention that had I known I could generate installation disks from Win7 OS, I would have created those install disks from desktop. To that end, ie, creating original install disks, I would still like to recover the current installation. In the meantime, I have created a Win 7 x64 Home Premium disk from which I can reach Recovery Console on this laptop. When I booted up normally, the laptop stopped on error 0xc000000f, B&W text, saying boot selection failed. I ran 'chkdsk /r' which caught some errors the first time, but not since. There was a problem that Windows Recovery did not recognize the version of Windows ("Microsoft Setup") on the main partition (#1). I solved this by making the partition active with Diskpart. Now, Windows Recovery sees "Windows 7" in this partition. After the the partition was made Active, I ceased getting error 0xe0ef0003, but now the laptop runs Startup Repair, whether there is a disk in the tray or not, which repair fails and requires Reboot. However, it still persists after it fails, as I cannot run 'sfc /scannow' because there is a pending operation, presumably Startup Repair, which must be rebooted in order to run sfc. I cannot get into Safe Mode under these conditions, where I am advised to disable Automatic Restart On System Failure. I have run three bootrec commands to rebuild MBR, Boot, and BCD, but no joy there either. Naturally, I would like to overcome this inability to boot. From what I read it's a common problem, causing a lot of frustration. Suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by binsonk; 12-02-2014, 05:38 PM.

Re: can't boot HP G60-535DX, Win7 Startup Repair loop

I would look to the hard drive first, you say chkdsk /r caught some errors, what errors and how many?

Comment

Don't readily recall the errors. There were maybe 3 or 4 hundred file changes, and a final note: "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50". As far as reporting details, what you read in the original post is about all I can offer. I don't believe it's the hard drive or RAM, since it started with malware. After all, this was a botched re-install which warned of total data loss. The Startup Repair loop is a fairly common problem, and I think surely there is someone who has experienced it. One company specifically mentions it in their promotion that their software fixes this problem. I am putting off a last-ditch alternative, a non-destructive in-place upgrade. I hope someone has a solution to this before I have to do a non-destructive install. If I had original installation disks, I would be less hesitant to proceed with that course of action. Does anyone know whether a generic Win 7 x64 Home Premium (X15-65733) disk will substitute for the original install disk (X15-53758)? Another thing I would like to do from Desktop is to re-install the Recovery Manager, which is downloadable from HP. Is anyone familiar with the restoration of the Recovery Partition?
      Last edited by binsonk; 12-02-2014, 06:55 PM.

Comment

TL;DR you can use a generic win7 amd64 disk for a reinstall, yes.
        disk link: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso
        Last edited by goontron; 12-02-2014, 05:48 PM.
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

The following procedure failed:
          "RahulHingonekar:
          Try as one might and regardless of whether you can boot into Safe Mode or are using the Recovery Console, this error just won’t go away. However, I have found a command finally that overcomes this problem. On a machine that I was working on today, from the Recovery Console command prompt I entered:

dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

After that, I rebooted the machine into Safe Mode (this particular computer would boot to Safe Mode but is BSODing when booted to normal mode). In Safe Mode, I opened an elevated command prompted and issued the SFC /scannow command and it now runs."

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-68b599b31bf5
          Last edited by binsonk; 12-02-2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Can you put the hdd into another pc as a slave? you could then run another chkdsk & virus/malware scans

Comment

Ah ok, hope that works.

I would still test the hdd (I always do) with something like GSmart, it's quick and rules the hdd in or out of the equation.

Comment

I used bootrec to rebuild the BCD, according to a YouTube tutorial. Previously, I had neglected to change attributes so that the file can be changed. I did so this time, but encountered a problem. When the program scans for a Windows installation, it doesn't find one, and reports 0 identified. If I could get bootrec to see the Windows installation on drive D: I might be able to fix the problem. It's odd that bootrec doesn't see Windows, because the D: drive displays normally with the dir command.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_BN5PPald8
                Last edited by binsonk; 12-02-2014, 07:18 PM.

Comment

wipe and reinstall. even if you get it to boot it still will probably be shagged elsewhere.
                  Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I guess I'll have to look at this approach, if I can't get bootrec to see Windows
                    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-recovery.html

Comment

I would wipe and install, except for the Recovery Partition--I don't want to destroy it. If this were my computer, I would nuke the drive and start all over, but it belongs to a friend. I'm worried about reports that after such an installation, the wireless network doesn't function. I (my friend) will also lose the opportunity to create original disks from Desktop, which is a one-off, supposedly.
                      Last edited by binsonk; 12-02-2014, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by binsonk View Post
                        I would wipe and install, except for the Recovery Partition--I don't want to destroy it. If this were my computer, I would nuke the drive and start all over, but it belongs to a friend. I'm worried about reports that after such an installation, the wireless network doesn't function. I (my friend) will also lose the opportunity to create original disks from Desktop, which is a one-off, supposedly.
                        good point. and the HP website is a clusterfuck when trying to find drivers.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

You're right, it's not recoverable. Have to install.
                          http://www.pcworld.com/article/24319...tallation.html
                          Last edited by binsonk; 12-02-2014, 08:31 PM.

Comment

@goontron
                            I asked if a generic Win7 HomePremium x64 disk would substitute, and you answered yes, I could use a Win7 HomePremium amd64 disk. That was an odd response, that I don't really understand. Why are you saying I could use an amd64 disk to substitute a x64 disk? The laptop processor is Intel Dual Core. Okay, I encountered a similar puzzlement when I tried to download MSE (MS Security Essentials). Only two versions were provided, x86 and amd64. Which of these two executables should I use on the x64 laptop?

Comment

x64 = amd64 = x86_64
                              x64 = Windows 64bit terminology
                              amd64 = Linux (POSIX really) 64bit terminology, since AMD made the first x86 64bit processor.
                              Last edited by goontron; 12-02-2014, 11:54 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

When I get to this situation I don't worry too much about recovery partitions, just install from a genuine Win 7 Home Premium 64bit oem disc. I assume you can read the product key?

Windows downloads here http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...wnloads.12325/

Your HP drivers here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=4041434

Good luck

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X