Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire 5520 after reball

Hi there,
    A client of mine recently started to have problems with this laptop. The unit needed several turn on's to boot properly into windows. Until then the laptop either had no signal on screen or showed artifacts.
    So I reballed the MCP67MV-A2 gpu.

Now the laptop starts up, shows logo, reaches until it wants to boot but then shuts down. My guess that the gpu is faulty, probably didnt withstand the heat during the repair. Can anything be done here or should I return the laptop to it's owner cause this gpus are expensive at our chinese friends.

Motherboard model: CP2 Intel MB, 48.4k801.011
    Last edited by Scootie; 07-04-2014, 05:09 AM.

Re: Acer Aspire 5520 after reball

try reflow

Comment

Did, same thing.

Comment

If your client wants to spend some money for the chip, go ahead and buy it. The chip is dead.

Comment

i think price is high because of no stock.

Comment

Curiously enough, after I completley assembled the laptop i have working vga but only on the external port(truth to tell, while testing the board after the reball I didnt use all the screwes on the cpu and maybe the heatsink didnt make full contact with the gpu, while now its working I noticed that the gpu is running on 74C, without proper heatsink contact this could have been higher and maybe that's why it shut down).

Prolly, a few balls didnt manage to make contact with the board and that's why i dont have vga on lcd. I told the client that I could take it down again to make another attempt to reball but said no and since the laptop is so old I dont think its worth it.

Comment

try reflow. reball is not 100% every time

Comment

It's very hard to mess up a reball if you're careful. The correct explanation is that the chip is shot to hell.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

this board may have 2 gpu chips on it, a chip responsible for vga which would be the SB and the other chip which is considered external if for the internal screen as it uses more power than vga

if there is not 2 chips on the board then it is highly possible that the chip was not flown to the board properly which you had mentioned earlier about a few balls not making contact

Comment

Recap of what happened after I went silent.
                    1. I did a reflow soon after and here are the results, which are mixed, badly.
                    First, the laptop did start up, at a second try didnt and so on and so forth a few times till I put it back togheter. Maybe the complete pressure of the box makes the sb to make more contact?
                    (The board does idd have 2 chips on it.)

2. I run live cd of Knopix and managed to find the lan, made a conection and was able to navigate in text mode on the internet. After that, the lan(network adapter) showed up on windows as well. Weird or maybe sb reball is needed.

3. Let the laptop to run a day without issues. Next day when it loaded the OS windows started to reinstall the vga, audio, networks. What the hell?

4. A day after at one moment I let the laptop to enter standby, when it recovered it installed the card reader again.
                    Running without issues since 2 days now altough the touchpad works fuzzy and doesnt feel right.

Maybe I should say that I notice some liquid intrusion under the keyboard and around the vga concector on the board(the one that goes to the lid).

Comment

An Acer 5520 had a blank screen and after a GPU reflow it started an infinite loop of rebooting. I reballed the chipset on the motherboard and worked.
                      Maybe you need a reflow/reball on that chipset?

Comment

It doesn't matter. MCP67MV is a known bad chip, and it's very tough to find and expensive. It's not worth repairing.
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Bad topic.
                          Last edited by Scootie; 07-17-2014, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Yep have 2 of these laying around here. The problem is ( actually i got this info from a man who works much longer with reball/reflow etc on laptops in general). The chip during reball get internal shorts so that sometimes even after reball we get problems like freezing or only video output to external monitor, and as someone said this chip to buy is shit load expensive and most of them aren't reliable for buying. Let that series be I'd say .

Comment

there are chips that simply cannot be reworked and must be replaced, not sure if there is a list though

Comment

That would be any nVidia made 2006-2009, with some minor exceptions. Sure, some last for a while, but they all eventually fail again, sooner or later.

Also most Intel northbridge chips, as they're very cheap, and it's much better to just replace with a new one. IMHO it's stupid to go to the trouble to reball a chip with a crapload of 0.45mm balls when it costs $15 new.

Comment

if they are 0.45 not bad. last day i did a 0.35 and lost many time fixing all balls going around

Comment

Working...
                                  X