Burnt component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnt component

I have a burnt capacitor which caused damage to the circuit board . Any guidelines for repair ? Should I also search for other problems elsewhere ?

The photos aren't clear so I'll post some others later
    Attached Files

Re: Burnt component

If the burned capacitor was of the ceramic or tantalum type, they are well known for randomly going short-circuit over time and causing these issues.
    Looks like only the top layer of the board has burned so it may be repairable. Just replace the burned cap and make sure to clean all of the carbonized matter on the PCB and all should be well. If the cap was ceramic, just find one on a dead board that has the same size. If the cap was tantalum, try powering on that circuit and measure the voltage. The voltage rating of the new tantalum cap has to be higher than that present on the board - if not you'll get another burned cap in that spot. Ceramic caps are usually rated for 32V or higher so they don't have this issue and they are bi-polar.

Comment

It was a ceramic type . I scraped off the burnt matter and soldered a new one . Before that the laptop would turn on , fan worked . Now it's completely dead . I measured the capacitor I soldered and seems ok .

Comment

I think there is grounded on second layer, you must clean it and make sure not shorted to 2nd layer

Comment

Working...
        X