Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dell latitdude d400 heatsink

i have a dell latitude d400.

it occasionly runs hot during heavy use. i assume it is normal but i read on another thread that the thermal paste may have gone to hell. iirc it is a 2005 model.

it is a PITA to disasemble (like most laptops), so i do not want to open it unless i have a decent reason.

should i replace the thermal paste?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: dell latitdude d400 heatsink

They don't usually use paste, they use a pad.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Mine used to get warm, it's only a small laptop.
      If it's shutting down because it's getting too hot, then you have a problem, otherwise leave it.
      Could be that you have a nice carpet of fluff in there.

Comment

its clean... no thermal shutdowns. it runs on a pentium m donthan 1.6ghz LV (low voltage) CPU.
        sigpic

Comment

Leave it alone then.
          I only got rid of mine because the LCD was aging... and I got a MacBook instead since it could run Windows too.

Comment

Check the power management settings to make sure it's throttling down the CPU when idle.

In Vista, this is the "Balanced" power setting.

In XP, it's more complicated...and Dell's QuickSet power management program sets it incorrectly by default in some versions. In XP, open a command prompt and run:
            powercfg /query
            You want to see processor throttle set to adaptive for both AC and DC. If it's not set to adaptive, select the Portable/Laptop power profile in Power Options Control panel.

Processor throttle settings:
            None = run at full speed
            Adaptive = adjust speed according to need - This makes the most sense.
            Constant = run at minimum speed
            Degrade = run at minimum speed and further reduce performance via software means. Not sure why you'd ever want to use this one.

If you're using a different OS, I wouldn't be sure where to point you, but I'm sure they have similar settings somewhere.

Comment

ok, cracked it open, light dust on the heatsink. cleaned now and re-built.

it was being run under linux... the cpu is set by default to "on demand". where i usually run it... it has xp dualbooted but i rarely use it.

maybe it will run better... running it now to find out.
              sigpic

Comment

Check out this link http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/ I have installed this little gem on several units, including my own. He even has a Linux version - I have not tested that.

Comment

Working...
                X