MacBook Pro 16" 2019 NAND Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Pro 16" 2019 NAND Swap

I couldn't find a post related to this, so if it exists please point me in that direction.

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro 16" 1TB with a dead embedded NAND. I've seen some information about how it is possible to swap NANDS from certain boards, but it has to be a matching set.

I have a MacBook Pro 2017 logic board 820-00923-A 1TB on hand that is new in the box. It should be possible to match up the NAND 0, 1, 2, 3 chips and transplant them onto this 2019 board... in theory. Has anyone approached this, or has success in doing this?

Thanks for your consideration and help!

--
    Karm

Re: MacBook Pro 16" 2019 NAND Swap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR7m...annel=iBoffRCC

Covers it all pretty well. Apple have it all covered.

Each set has firmware for the specific brand of NAND striped across them, hence why they need to be replaced in the same order when transplanted. If they are from a T1 system (and assuming that there is a firmware set for that NAND type for a T2), I'm pretty sure you need to put in that firmware first via external programmer. The T1 systems just treat the SSD like a regular one, as opposed to the T2 which are completely different.

Comment

Thanks. Yes, this is the go to video for NAND swap prep. I was hoping someone had attempted this with what I had on hand.

Comment

Hi here is it good video abouth nand swapping.
        Is not so easey butt gives you good indide what is going on.

https://youtu.be/yR7m4aUxHcM

Regards

Comment

Thanks for the help, and hopefully with combined efforts and knowledge we can keep these devices working way longer than Apple had ever intended. It seems they've built in planned obsolescence by using a striped RAID 0 to make their computers faster.

Comment

It's almost criminal. The lengths that Apple goes to to prevent repairs and upgrades is not widely known amongst their user base. It makes a joke of any attempt by them to say they are environmentally friendly.

At least with a dead system on a PC, we can remove the SSD and recover the data. Yet the iSheep keep buying Apple's crap which is built to fail from the factory.

Comment

Working...
            X