Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PALIT GTX1070 diagnosing help

Hello,

Please bear with me as this post might be a bit long, but this is the first GPU I tinker with, and I am using it as a learning excercise.

I received this GPU (PALIT GTX1070 Jetstream) from a friend who hadn't used it in a long while, put it in a machine, and things worked. Updated the drivers, and tried stress testing, after a minute or so there was some brief artifacting and the computer crashed.

I tried loads to get an image out of it again to no avail (back light stays on but no image or post). I obviously ruled out the basic stuff, different machines, other gpus on the same machine...etc.

So far I had been connecting using DVI, then one time I decided to try hdmi instead, and to my surprise the card posted! got to the windows logo, then crash. And it went to the same place as DVI (back light stays on but no image or post).

after some online research, which suggested memory issues, I went ahead and ran some mods/mats tests, nothing conclusive, my knowledge is limited here, so it might be I am not doing things right. But basically some versions worked better than others, and each version (out of the ones that I managed to get to work) giving totally different results (sometimes getting errors on all banks, sometimes errors on one bank). also worth mentioning, booting through vga I could see an error 43 in windows.

At this stage I started testing things, no shorts, resistances seemed all good, voltages all present and good, pci lanes to gpu all good.
    Left the gpu overnight in the above state, and came back to it the next morning. All of a sudden now I turned the machine on and got one long beep and two short ones, the gpu didn't seem to be detected anymore (in windows, or mods/mats).

At this stage, I rechecked all resistances, voltages and pci lanes, everything checks out, except maybe one thing, I am getting a resistance of 20ohms on the pex rail now, I could swear I was getting something around 50 before, but can't say for certain. All voltages are correct though including pex. Thinking the reistance might be low, I wanted to check if the GPU is prodding the bios, so did some checks, and the bios seems to be prodded the right ways, vdd present, and oscilloscope showing pin 1 pulled low and something happening on pin 2.

Here is where I am at the moment, a bit stuck and out of ideas. So any tips, help, or telling me that I am being an idiot and it was obvious and staring me in the face all along are welcome.

If you read this far I appreciate your patience, and thank you for it!

Please do not hesitate to prod me for more infos if that helps.

Cheers,

G
    Last edited by geonak; 07-12-2022, 04:07 PM.

Re: PALIT GTX1070 diagnosing help

memory error. run LORD OF GPU test and replace failed memory ic. only basic MATS test is weak to show bad memory with few errors

Comment

Re: PALIT GTX1070 diagnosing help

Thank you for the reply.

Any links or videos that show the lord of the gpu test as I can't seem to easily find something online?

More importantly, as mentioned above the current status is that the gpu is not being detected, even thogh all the voltages are present, and the bios seems to be being prodded by the gpu. (not forgetting that suspicious low 20ohm resitance on pex).
      any tips or ideas of what tests I should run next to try and figure out what is going on and try to get back to a detected state? so that I can start testing the memory again?

Cheers,

G

Comment

Working...
      X