RX580 Gigabyte Gaming 8GB - Micron - Boots only if I do the BIOS short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RX580 Gigabyte Gaming 8GB - Micron - Boots only if I do the BIOS short

Well I don't know what to suggest, have you checked all the voltage rails and resistances? Could this be an issue with the pex_rst logic circuit?
    Attached Files

Comment

I checked some voltages on some inductors and the display rail give 0,9v so I presume everything was good . I don`t know how to check the pex_rst logic circuit . I don`t know where it is or how it looks

Comment

On the back of the board near the pcie slot notch probably, look for U100 you should have 3v3 coming out (see the schematic I posted)

Comment

thats paperclip method for bad/bricked bios. u have bad bios. flash t and it will be ok

i think this card have two bioses so it will put EN/CS pin to 0 on first bios, so this first bios will be not used and boots from second bios
          Last edited by ktmmotocross; 02-05-2022, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
            thats paperclip method for bad/bricked bios. u have bad bios. flash t and it will be ok

i think this card have two bioses so it will put EN/CS pin to 0 on first bios, so this first bios will be not used and boots from second bios

I tried flashing it like 3 times and I have the same problem all over again . Somebody told me that the BIOS chip may be bad , but I don`t think because it flashes the new BIoses . I could only find one BIOS chip on the pcb , don`t know if there is 2 because I have no bios switch either

Comment

Originally posted by Bozog View Post
              Well I don't know what to suggest, have you checked all the voltage rails and resistances? Could this be an issue with the pex_rst logic circuit?
              I have 3V on some pins on that U100 little part . I also measured BIOS chip voltages and I have 3v on 3 pins and on the pin number 1 I have 2,6v or something like that . Is that normal ?

Comment

You need to make sure the gpu is coming out of reset by checking for 3v3 on pin 4 U100, if you have that I would then try probing pin 1 on the bios chip with a scope again, to ascertain its being read. You should see some fast falling/rising edges, which maybe difficult to capture without using a single trigger.

Comment

You need to make sure the gpu is coming out of reset by checking for 3v3 on pin 4 U100, if you have that I would then try probing pin 1 on the bios chip with a scope again, to ascertain its being read. You should see some fast falling/rising edges, which maybe difficult to capture without using a single trigger.

You mean to have 3,3V on this pin circled in red right ? Well , I have and also I have on both pins under him
                  Attached Files

Comment

A friend told me that I should try a GPU chip reflow , but I am not so sure about that . Never done it and I don`t want to break something

Comment

Originally posted by Goblin999 View Post
                      A friend told me that I should try a GPU chip reflow , but I am not so sure about that . Never done it and I don`t want to break something
                      Yeah don't do that unless you're certain that is what the issue is, and definitely don't do it with a heat gun.

I have circled pin 4 in red, looks like there is a handy place to test on my board.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah don't do that unless you're certain that is what the issue is, and definitely don't do it with a heat gun.

I have circled pin 4 in red, looks like there is a handy place to test on my board.

Thanks , I will get right away to measure it . Also you have the same card ? Can you provide me the stock BIOS ? I tried several bios versions and none of them worked - maybe it is a bios flash error ? (I write them in Hive OS - after I short the pins of the bios chip so it can boot) . Also after I boot the Hive sees the card and start mining but gives some strange error temp . I will attach a photo
                        Attached Files

Comment

Measured the little spot you showed me because it`s the same as mine and I get 3,3v . Also tried again with the osciloscope on the pin 1 of the BIOS chip and nothing happens . When I put the osciliscope on the motherboard BIOS chip I can see some oscilations , but on the graphic card nothing . So I respume the GPU chip doesn`t communicate with the bios or something like that idk

Comment

I think my card is an MSI RX480 4GB Armor, why does Hive say 470/480 is that normal, your card is a 580 no?

The correct bios will be on techpowerup, would need to see the label and the memory type to find the correct one.

I think the gpu bios is only read at startup so you'd probably need to set a single trigger on falling edge to capture it.

Comment

I think my card is an MSI RX480 4GB Armor, why does Hive say 470/480 is that normal, your card is a 580 no?

The correct bios will be on techpowerup, would need to see the label and the memory type to find the correct one.

I think the gpu bios is only read at startup so you'd probably need to set a single trigger on falling edge to capture it.

Because of the short I do on the bios it shows that I think . Tried several bioses from that site based on the memory type (micron) . I also found on the gigabyte website bioses and that is the last one I used based on the label on the graphics card

Comment

All of the bios on techpowerup for the 580 gaming x are either samsung or hynix memory, have you actually looked at the memory chips?

Comment

All of the bios on techpowerup for the 580 gaming x are either samsung or hynix memory, have you actually looked at the memory chips?

yes . it`s micron 100%

Comment

Have you tried one of the gaming x ones from techpowerup?

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...I&model=RX+580

Comment

Have you tried one of the gaming x ones from techpowerup?

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...I&model=RX+580
                                      yes

Comment

Ooh I've found a micron one

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/204414/204414

Comment

It is not the right one . This is the right one - same as picture and also it has the original bios from Gigabyte (https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Ca...ev-10-11-12#kf) . But I don`t think it is the bios . I think it is a piece on the board some sensor or something I don`t know

Comment

Working...
                                          X