asus p5ld2 w/ kzg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

asus p5ld2 w/ kzg

ok, little confused on suitible replacement for chemi-con 820uf 6.3v kzg (1.14 ripple, 0.36 impedance, "?" esr)

reading here that kzg's are lame, and there are betters.. but the esr, ripple, and impedance must be equivelant.

I have no idea which to replace with.

I'm sorry, but think I need spoonfeeding with this one :p

any help greatly appreciated
    Attached Files
    Last edited by iamspuzzum; 05-03-2010, 02:02 PM.

Re: asus p5ld2 w/ kzg

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=49

Don't just replace the bulging cap/s. replace ALL Chemi-Con KZG on the motherboard.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

there are a lot of different types that you can use to replace them. for example, if using rubycon brands, you could use mbz or mcz serieses, and the same would go with other brands. Those are just the most common 2 types for rubycon's but for each brand, there are multiple types that would work. mainly try to stay with low esr or ultra low esr caps. as long as they are low esr and a good name brand and type, then you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by kaniki
        as long as they are low esr and a good name brand and type, then you should be fine.
        Not necessarily. Panny FC for example are considered to be low ESR, but their ESR is not quite low enough to replace KZG.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I haven't found anything else on the web about bad caps on an ASUS P5LD2 board. I also have this board, and have a few bulging caps. I am guessing that this is why my board fails to give post or any audible errors. After some testing, it appears that all my other hardware is working properly. The caps that I see with convex surfaces are labeled KZG 6.3V 1500UF. They are different from the ones that user iamspuzzum is referring to, but are the same brand and I see that you guys have seen problems with these KZG's before. I have NO PROBLEM in replacing all these potential trouble makers, I just need some assistance in choosing the correct ones to purchase.

Here are a few pictures so you guys can identify my possibly bad caps.. Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this subject. :/

I already see that you suggest I replace the little ones with these:
          https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=49

But I still need to replace the two different larger ones (1000uf, and 1500uf). Suggestions?
          Attached Files

Comment

The ones in your first picture do not look like KZG

Possibly they are Panasonic FJ - to confirm, look for FJ or CFJ on their sides, together with a stylised M for Matsushita (= Panasonic)

If they are Panasonic, replacement probably unnecessary
            better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by envyrabid View Post
              But I still need to replace the two different larger ones (1000uf, and 1500uf). Suggestions?
              https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=44
              and
              https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=38 (Yes, 16V in this case as the original KZG is taller than the standard for that size. Voltage is a limit, so you are fine replacing 6.3V with 16V).

The proposed replacement will be fine for the small 820uF capacitors. However, those do look like Panasonic, and it would be unusual for those to fail. Could you possibly get another photo from a different angle, or see what other markings you can see on them? Panasonic's logo is an "M" in a square-ish box. (Matsushita is the parent company of Panasonic.) If they are indeed Panasonic, and they have failed, you may want to check your power supply and case ventilation.
              Last edited by yyonline; 01-17-2011, 10:47 PM.

Comment

For KZG use Nichicon HM, Rubycon MBZ, or Samxon GD.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

watch out for ost(blue) lytics under the hsf.
                  replace with sanyo sepc 560@4 from the badcaps store.
                  if it comes back to life after replacing the kzg's its a good upgrade.

Comment

or Sanyo/Suncon WG
                    or Panasonic FJ, FL
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                      https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=38 (Yes, 16V in this case as the original KZG is taller than the standard for that size. Voltage is a limit, so you are fine replacing 6.3V with 16V).
                      They won't fit. The KZGs are 8mm, the 16v Rubies are 10mm diameter. Use https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=39
                      Last edited by c_hegge; 01-18-2011, 04:23 AM.

Comment

I got 'posted under'. Should have read like this.

-mockingbird-
                        For KZG use Nichicon HM, Rubycon MBZ, or Samxon GD.

-me-
                        or Sanyo/Suncon WG
                        or Panasonic FJ, FL
                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                          They won't fit. The KZGs are 8mm, the 16v Rubies are 10mm diameter. Use https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=39
                          I recommend the user with the bad caps double check the sizes. They do look like 8mm today, both the 1000uF and the 1500uF. They really looked like 10mm last night. Maybe I should be more careful what I post on very little sleep.

Comment

pfrcom: Yes, the little ones are in fact Panasonic FJ. I see the little FJ on the side and the stylish "M". Since they are not bulging, and are Panasonic's, I suppose I wont replace them. I do want to replace the 1500uf KZG's though since they are bubbly on the top.

kc8adu: I don't have any blue caps near the HS/F area.

c_hegge: Thanks for clarifying. I will be purchasing the following item to replace my 1500 KZG's once you guys verify the diameter...
                            https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=39

I hope this new photo helps in determining the size. Unfortunately, I don't have a micrometer to be certain. I used a .45 round in one picture, and a dime in the other. I sure hope that helps. The angle's are a little off because I was trying to get as much light in there as possible.

Since I'm already going to spend $5 on shipping, should I just order something to replace the 1000uf KZG's as well? Since you fellas say that KZG's are bad, I might as well, right?
                            Attached Files

Comment

The 45 is .45 inches or 11.4mm... So, the 1500s definitely look like 8mm, making this the correct replacement:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=39

The 1000uF capacitors look to be the same diameter. If they are, then use these as replacements:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=45

It looks like you have more Panasonic caps near the CPU socket where the blue OSTs usually are. That's a good thing.

Sorry for the erroneous advice last night. I've been sick with the flu, so I'm not on top of things as much as usual.

Comment

Dude, ABSOLUTELY NO need to apologize! I had a nasty flu for almost a month so I know what it's like.

If everyone else seems to agree, I will be ordering the caps that yyonline has mentioned. I value everyone's opinion very much and I really appreciate the help. I just want your blessings before I pull the trigger.

Comment

A big thanks to everyone who helped me out. I'll drop a comment if these new caps fix my board. Thanks!

Comment

Hello all, I hope it's ok that I jump in this old thread because this has my exact motherboard with pics already and I don't have a camera.
                                    My question is about the 1500uF caps, I don't know which ones to get to replace them with. Looking in the store here I found the 1000uF and 470uF that I need but nothing match's the 1500's. The 1500's are 8x20, 6.3v, KZG's just like the one's shown above in the 5th post and the 3rd picture.
                                    Any help would be greatly appreciated and I plan on ordering here when I find the correct one's, Thanks!!

Comment

These will work:

Nichicon HZ 1500uF 6.3v 8x20
                                      http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...PM6-ND/2428107

Nichicon HM 1500uF 6.3v 8x20
                                      http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...PD6-ND/2428126

Panasonic FR 1500uF 6.3v or 10v 8x20 (same capacitor, same ratings, same size)
                                      http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...363-ND/2433497
                                      http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...379-ND/2433513

HZ > HM > FR
                                      FR is technically a bit worse than KZG but it's so close it's within the margin error... we're talking 0.026 ohm on KZG versus 0.030 on FR, so imho it's insignifiant. If the caps are swollen their impedance is surely way outside the value yet the board worked for a long time like this, so a few thousands of an ohm won't matter.
                                      On the other hand, the FR's are rated for 9000 hours at 105c, compared to much less on the HZ and HM (about 2000 hours) so they would be great ones if the design of the case is bad and the system is known for heat.

Comment

Thank you very much for your help. Now that I know what I need i'll put my order in and hopefully be back up and running soon. Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X