Dell OptiPlex GX270 - multiple bad cap failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell OptiPlex GX270 - multiple bad cap failures

hopefully the 2.5" sas drives for servers wont be a turd like those.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Funny - I haven't had a single failure of the slim Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8. However, they're not in Dells, they're in well-ventilated tower cases, and the PSUs are good quality and recapped.

Comment

I've seen only two of them - both dead.

Comment

Ah crap, I think I have one on the shelf, I use it as my "removable" backup drive...
          Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

i remember when those slimline maxtors first hit the market.
            we got 50+ in for new builds.
            our pc tech had 5 in a row not even run long enough to format and load a os image.
            we sent the whole batch back.
            distro had several pallets of these turds ready to send back to maxtor.

Comment

Hmmm that's not encouraging to read about the slim Maxtor HDD.
              I have a 30GB in my HTPC for 3 years now. So far so good. But like someone above posted, mine is well ventilated. I noticed early on this drive gets hot quickly without airflow.
              “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
              We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
                I guess that they're from those "slim" Maxtors (like 6E040L0) - they're VERY unreliable.
                I have a "half of drawer " this maxtor HDD , some HDD has a same SN.

I think , a maxtor make a tram-car bad disks...

Comment

I have a friend i sold a dell gx270 too, it's manufacturing date is i think 2002 model, the motherboard in it as well as those stated in this forum have several bad caps on it.
                  The problem it caused for this dell was it would get an error at bootup stating there is a thermal shutdown or something in the area.
                  I just had her order a new board which as i write this i'm in the process of getting ready to install for her. i know it may do the same thing as the old.
                  I read one of the forums of someone asking if anyone has a pic of a dell gx270 board if they could upload it on here so someone can see one.
                  I will take a pic of the board i have just don't know how to add the pic here yet, and having some trouble figuring out how to get the powersupply out of the thing so i can install the new board.
                  can anyone give me an idea how to get the powersupply out? thank you

Comment

i got the powersupply out finally, good old searching for the right manual lol

Comment

I realize this thread is a bit dated, but it helped me some, so I came back after resolving my problem... I want to share what I learned with others who may stumble across it following a Google search.

Dell has extended the motherboard replacement period for GX270's to 5 years. In my case, I initiated a chat session with Dell's warranty support (http://support.dell.com/support/topi.../hardware_chat) or "Chat with tech support" from within their forums. Right off the bat I told the rep that there is a known problem with this motherboard and I verified that I have multiple swollen capacitors. I described the initial symptoms as failure to boot, and I can't get into the BIOS even thought the board has power. I also offered that I tested the memory and HD independently to verify that they were good. The rep immediately told me that she would replace the board. The warranty on this system expired in Aug 06. For what it's worth, this system was built Aug 03 with a service tag ending in 31. All affected capacitors are Nichicon HN(M)--5x1500uF and 3x1800uF near the parallel port. Board REV A00 (Made in China).

(I have to admit I was almost hoping to have to recap it myself, as I've never done it before )

Good luck to others with the same problem!
                      Mark

Comment

I Have gx270 optiplex dell computers .
                        I replaced the 9pc 1800uf 6.3v with 2200 10v (same size),
                        3pc 1800uf 16v with 2200uf 16v and 5pc 1500uf 6.3v with 1500uf 6.3v .
                        I still get a thermal shutdown .
                        do I have to replace other caps on board?
                        thanks

Comment

Originally posted by novasat
                          I Have gx270 optiplex dell computers .
                          I replaced the 9pc 1800uf 6.3v with 2200 10v (same size)
                          You found some 2200uF 10v 8mm caps? Lets see some pics of those!!
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Hi Topcat

is there a problem with 2200mf ?
                            20% more in value
                            I can use 8pc instead of 9
                            Attached Files

Comment

Must be general purpose caps then?
                              Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-15-2007, 02:43 PM.
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

http://products.nichicon.co.jp/en/pr.../alum_list.cfm

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...120706ef4b.pdf

Comment

those nichicon look odd, yeh VR is general purpose but ok lower down on the board.
                                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

as I am new in your form and my knoledge about caps is limited
                                    I think to get a general purpose cap is better than a deffective one.
                                    I know that low esr is recomended and I tried to find it in RS ( Egypt).

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...5a866038c4.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by novasat
                                      Hi Topcat

is there a problem with 2200mf ?
                                      20% more in value
                                      I can use 8pc instead of 9
                                      font looks wrong on those nichicons.
                                      fakes?

Comment

According to the PDF you linked the 2200uF Nichicon VR cap should be 10x20mm and –40 ~ +85°C
                                        Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-15-2007, 04:46 PM.
                                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Yeah, those look like fake Nichicon VRs. Those Malaysian Panasonic FJs would have been a better bet at the VRM O/P - not as dependable as the Japanese FK/FM, but still good enough.

Comment

Working...
                                          X