Perc 5i raid card - SMT capacitor torn off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perc 5i raid card - SMT capacitor torn off

So... I bought this poweredge 840 server used off ebay. In shipping, the raid card was not secured and it must have banged around.

Found the card loose with this capacitor that popped off (surface mount).

I've never done smt repair before but since one of the pads is torn off; I was wondering if it is possible to scrape off some of the green surface and solder it back on?

If so, where would I scrape and solder.

I've included pictures for your kind review and opinions.

The card is not expensive. It seems to work even without the capacitor which is pretty surprising to me. I don't even know if I need to get it back on but I thought I would use this as a test repair.

Don't know if I would trust it even if repaired.

If anyone in Toronto wants the card; you are welcome to take it off me for free to try your hand at the repair.

THanks guys.

PS - what I don't understand is that the capacitor seems to sit on a whole copper plated area and I don't see any specific traces going through it.

Is that how smt works?
    Attached Files

Re: Perc 5i raid card - SMT capacitor torn off

The negative of the capacitor is connected to resistor R960, there is also a via hole in that path. Solder it in place then make a path up to the resistor but you need to also make sure you get a connection through the via hole...

Attached Files
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply.

Now that you point it out to me, I can see the torn trace to the R960 resister.

Many thanks for the help.

Will update if I get it repaired but that looks to be beyond my level of skill and beyond my level of equipment.

Comment

Yeah it doesn't surprise me the card still works without the ceramic capacitor. Ceramics have low uF in contrast to electrolytics.
        If the via has been completely torn out, it might not be possible to get the capacitor back on properly.

Just buy a nice adaptec SAS card and be done with it. The OEMed LSI cards are always temperamental (I've had an LSI card randomly pop spindles on my 15K SAS, and it was intermittent, the card had no defects; another LSI card just has a bloody slow text BIOS. Don't get me started on LSI's "webbios").

Comment

Solder the one end on the board and solder a thin wire to the other end and the resistor. If you have used a soldering iron before I think you could do this. Just be quick, once you see the solder melt, pull the iron off.

Comment

Working...
          X