Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with GeForce 6600gt AGP Card not receiving enough power

hey guys,

I have an old homebuild PC with MSI K8N Neo Platinum 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb ATX AMD Motherboard and Evga geforce 6600gt agp Card.

whenever I booted into windows7, an onscreen message pops out - warning that nvidia card is not receiving enough power and is at reduced performance level. When I opened the case, the GPU fan on the nvidia card is not spinning. after a while, the card becomes extremely hot when touched. I have a new Cosair RMS 750Watts PSU for the pc - replaced an old TruePower 380Watt ATX12V Power Supply, and the extra molex connector on the AGP card is plugged in.

I need some advice on how to diagnose/fix this card.
    Last edited by erdos; 04-05-2023, 08:07 AM.

Re: Help with GeForce 6600gt AGP Card not receiving enough power

Originally posted by erdos View Post
    I need some advice on how to diagnose/fix this card.
    Start by removing the graphics card and verify that the fan is free to spin and can spin when powered with 12V. If it can't, then this is why you're probably receiving the message: the GPU is throttling and running in reduced performance state because it's overheating.

Clean out the fan and any dust in the heatsink.
    If the card has been like this for a while (i.e. overheating), the thermal paste might have dried out. Thus, it is also recommended to re-apply fresh thermal paste between the heatsink and GPU core.

Lastly, maybe post some pictures of the video card and the message you're getting. Though, if you find out the fan is not running due to dust or being stuck, DO NOT wait to get the error message in Windows. Running the video card one too many times with the fan stuck WILL damage the GPU chip eventually. So the less you run or use the GPU with the stuck fan, the better.

Note that this is an old video card, back from the days when the fan was always set to run (and not like new GPUs that throttle down and turn off their fans to save power and generate less heat.) These old GPUs tend to use almost as much power in idle as they do under load. So without constant active cooling from the fan, they will overheat very quickly.

Comment

Here are the screenshot of error and pictures of actual card
      Attached Files

Comment

Check the fuse (F1) top side, near empty Q16 It looks like a polyfuse so check the that you have voltage on both sides as it may reset without any current through it.
        Last edited by R_J; 04-08-2023, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Hi, are you in Devuan forums? Cool coincidence if so.

Comment

Originally posted by ribcage View Post
            Hi, are you in Devuan forums? Cool coincidence if so.
            yes, that's me as well! good to see you here too!

Comment

Working...
            X