Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sceptre X22WG-1080p monitor not staying backlit, Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sceptre X22WG-1080p monitor not staying backlit, Please Help!

Around a second after pressing the power button the monitor displays the source perfectly then the backlight turns off. I put a flashlight up to the monitor and see that the picture is fine and still there, just not lit up. I have replaced the 8 (main) capacitors 470uf 35v and the same thing happens. The only ones that are left that could possibly be replaced are a small and large capacitor. Should i just toss the monitor since replacing the common ones didn't work

Re: Sceptre X22WG-1080p monitor not staying backlit, Please Help!

Originally posted by SupeR
    Around a second after pressing the power button the monitor displays the source perfectly then the backlight turns off. I put a flashlight up to the monitor and see that the picture is fine and still there, just not lit up. I have replaced the 8 (main) capacitors 470uf 35v and the same thing happens. The only ones that are left that could possibly be replaced are a small and large capacitor. Should i just toss the monitor since replacing the common ones didn't work
    Well, if you WANT to, pack it carefully and 'toss' it my way. However an approach that might be more rewarding for you would be to take pictures of the top and bottom of the power supply board. You have what is referred to as the 'two seconds to black' problem. Solving it is more difficult that just tossing caps at it, but it is fixable.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Bottom of Inverter board
      [/IMG]

[/IMG]

Comment

Should I replace the big Taicon cap and the small green one next to it?

Comment

Should I replace the big Taicon cap and the small green one next to it?
          Neither is the cause of the problem you are having. I would recommend replacing the small electrolytic cap if you get this working. That cap performs a very important function and if it fails your monitor won't work.

I've marked up the picture of the bottom. Measure the resistance from point A to B; C to D; E to F; and G to H.

The large IC on the bottom appears to be a BD9883AF; please verify that.

If all transformers read the same I will ne a better picture of the bottom; especially the traces below the transformers.

PlainBill
          Attached Files
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Ah shoot, I don't believe i have anything to measure that with...

Comment

Ah shoot, I don't believe i have anything to measure that with...
              Well, that sucks. I see five options at this point:

1. Borrow a DMM (or have a friend check it for you).

2. Buy a DMM. Harbor Freight Tools sells a rather nice one for $25. Fluke sells VERY nice ones for somewhat more.

3. Give it to someone who has the capability of repairing it.

4. Send it to the landfill.

5. Try these tests. This MIGHT damage the inverter. For simplicity we will label the CCFL wires from the inverter as A, B, C, D. The wires to the CCFLs will be labeled 1, 2, 3, 4. Normally A connects to 1, B to 2, C to 3, D to 4. We will describe this as A1, B2, C3, D4. Got it?

Disconnect B2, C3, D4. Now the A output is the only one connected to a CCFL. Position the panel so you can see the face of it. Plug the monitor in and cycle the power button (press it twice, pausing a second or two between presses). Does the screen light up briefly? If yes, estimate it's brightness, then disconnect A1 and hook up the B2. Cycle the power button. If it lights up, is the brightness about the same as A1? Repeat this for the remaining CCFLs. If all worked at the same brightness you probably have a problem in the inverter; specifically in the monitoring circuit.

If a lamp did not light, or was dimmer, you have to figure out if the problem was the CCFL or the inverter. As an example, we will say that B2 was much dimmer. Now hook B to 1 and cycle the power button. Is the CCFL now at full brightness? Try hooking A to 2 and cycling the power button. Is it now at full brightness?

If a CCFL (1, 2, 3, 4) will not light at full brightness no matter which output it is connected to, there is a problem with that CCFL or it's wiring. If an output (A, B, C, or D) will not light a CCFL at full brightness you have either a bad solder joint or a bad transformer.

PlainBill

Comment

Ok thanks!! You have been really helpful! I'm going back to school, and the only time i get to do this stuff is durring breaks when im home. But i will pick up a DDM and do that when i get the chance next, hopefully soon! Thanks again!! Maybe you'll hear again from me in a month or two.

Ryan

Comment

I have the same exact problem, the monitor will be on and it will go completely black , when I power cycle it will come on for a little bit maybe a minute or two, then go black again.

Sometimes the monitor will work for weeks with no problem, the only solution is to turn it off and let rest for a while.

If the inverter is bad is there any solution? Where could I find a new inverter power supply for this unit.

Thanks

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by coulthrust
                    I have the same exact problem, the monitor will be on and it will go completely black , when I power cycle it will come on for a little bit maybe a minute or two, then go black again.

Sometimes the monitor will work for weeks with no problem, the only solution is to turn it off and let rest for a while.

If the inverter is bad is there any solution? Where could I find a new inverter power supply for this unit.

Thanks

Chris
                    If you have proper test equipment it should be possible to repair this one. Certainly if the backlights stay on for a minute of two, troubleshooting it will be relatively easy.

Do you have a DMM? If so, the tests in post 5 are a good starting point.

PlainBill

Comment

I recently changed my caps but burned a bit of the circuit on one end. Your photo shows that it is indeed connected where I made a mistake, so now hopefully after I re-soldier them together, my back lights will come on. The black mark is where I accidentally burned the board and instead of a green circuit its goldish looking. Should I attempt to reconnect the two?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Lithorn; 07-18-2010, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithorn
                        I recently changed my caps but burned a bit of the circuit on one end. Your photo shows that it is indeed connected where I made a mistake, so now hopefully after I re-soldier them together, my back lights will come on. The black mark is where I accidentally burned the board and instead of a green circuit its goldish looking. Should I attempt to reconnect the two?
                        If they are really separated, yes.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                          If you have proper test equipment it should be possible to repair this one. Certainly if the backlights stay on for a minute of two, troubleshooting it will be relatively easy.

Do you have a DMM? If so, the tests in post 5 are a good starting point.

PlainBill
                          OK thanks I will test those points and see what's up

thanks!

Comment

I have this same monitor and there's not even the slightest flicker when I plug it in. Every cap on the inverter has been replaced. The power light comes on (no screen flicker) and then proceeds to flash on and off. There is no high pitched whining or ticking sounds coming from the inverter or any other piece.

Is it possible that the screen itself is blown out or is it the backlight on the inverter board?

Comment

Originally posted by rokkaholik View Post
                              Is it possible that the screen itself is blown out or is it the backlight on the inverter board?
                              Post pictures of your board so we can see your setup.

1) Post clear focused pictures AFTER reading

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

2) Please do not post pictures inline as they slow down the loading of pages.

3) For best picture quality and clarity take your boards to a window on a sunny day, turn flash off, and use macro mode. Take a top down view of all your boards (front and back). Make sure the photo is legible so that we can read the PCB printing clearly. A shutter speed of 1/125 or faster will produce nice clear focused pictures. Try to get a photo that is 2000x2000 resolution or as close as possible.

4) Here is an example of the pictures we want.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpos...94&postcount=1
                              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'll try to get pics tomorrow

On a side note, not one of the caps that I did replace on the inverter board was popped, domed or leaking any funky crusty fluids.

Comment

Originally posted by rokkaholik View Post
                                  I'll try to get pics tomorrow
                                  #4 - looks like copy and paste error.

We want pictures to look like this

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1
                                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

When I was looking these up, there seems to be 2 different inverter boards that were put in this model of monitor. Mine is the 511GP just like the guy above posted pics of his board

Comment

Sorry I'm late... Long week of sickness at this house
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Nevermind... Upon reassembly (AGAIN!) I got the blue power light, and then it went about it's flashing off and on with no screen flicker or anything. Just as I was about to set it aside, I looked down and had an idea. I had a spare PC sitting next to my main rig that I was redoing Windows on. I pulled the video cable from that monitor and plugged it in to this Sceptre and the damn screen fired right up and looks to be working perfectly. I'm not sure what just happened, but I'll take it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X