HP F1503 Non-Functional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP F1503 Non-Functional

I've repaired several LCD monitor power supplies boards, but this monitor doesn't have one. It uses a wall wart to supply it with 12VDC.

What's my first step? The monitor power indicator comes on for a second, then nothing.

Re: HP F1503 Non-Functional

Caps are also be found in wall warts and they are just as likely to go bad inside them. Open the supply up and post pics.

Comment

I've tried other known good power supplies with it.

Comment

The first step is to open it up and look at the caps.
        - Check for bloating and crap brands.
        The second step is to tell us what they are and optionally post some pics.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

I had previously opened it up and shotgunned a lot of caps on the inverter board. I didn't get a couple of the smaller value caps because I didn't have their values in stock. I haven't touched the main board yet.

None of the caps were leaking or bulging.

The caps that are on both boards vary by brand. I noted "HEC" and "TL". I changed out the larger caps on the inverter board for Sanyo brand caps.

Pictures forthcoming...

Comment

Powering up and shutting down sounds like bad inverter transformer driver transistors. Since the caps have been replaced that's the next place to look and seeing it's an HP. I'm very sure the inverter is a Benq build.

The transistors are the HOT of LCDs heavily stressed and fail often. Shoot some pics and I'll circle them for testing you'll need a DMM.
            Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-20-2009, 10:28 AM.
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Sure that's the right mark? [Not transposed.]
              HEC's site is in Chinese and you have to hack a little.
              I can't find a TL series but I found an LT.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Pics, as promised.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                  Sure that's the right mark? [Not transposed.]
                  HEC's site is in Chinese and you have to hack a little.
                  I can't find a TL series but I found an LT.
                  Possibly, but it was on a completely different cap. I meant that TL was the brand name. Near as I could tell anyway.

Comment

I get you now.
                    I thought you gave brand-series and it's two brands.
                    I was trying to spec the old caps.
                    Need brand and series.
                    I have HEC's data but not TL. TL has no site I know of.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Check the transformer and those coils in pic 2 for cold solder joints.
                      Common problem on large parts when they solder the whole board in a machine.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by Peale
                        What's my first step? The monitor power indicator comes on for a second, then nothing.
                        Hello Peale
                        I have seen this in fuse failure, the fuse works for split second then fail
                        I think you have two SMD fuses on the inverter board that cannot be seen in your pictures because they are on the solder side of the board, one by the input jack and the other by the output plug to mainboard (they are very small)

Also with these boards there is a common problem with bad solder joints on those big copper circles (torrids) They require resoldering
                        Bob
                        Were the old caps the usual Hermies?
                        Last edited by Bobdee; 10-20-2009, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobdee
                          Hello Peale

Also with these boards there is a common problem with bad solder joints on those big copper circles (torrids) They require resoldering
                          Bob
                          Were the old caps the usual Hermies?
                          You were absolutely right! One of the torroids had a big-time broken solder joint on it. Touched ALL the torroids up and any other suspect joint and it fired right up.

As for the old caps, I don't remember what they were, I tossed them months ago after replacing them.

Comment

Torroids = "those coils in pic 2" - I wasn't sure you'd know the name.

Glad you got it fixed!

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Torroids = "those coils in pic 2" - I wasn't sure you'd know the name.

Glad you got it fixed!
                              I've been repairing standard arcade monitors for a while and the occasional TV. So I'm pretty versed on what components are what.

This was my second venture into LCD world and I just needed a jumping off point. The first was a 19" widescreen monitor. It was easy - every cap on the power supply board was domed. I shotgunned the caps and it was 100% after that. Even though I hadn't replaced all the caps on the inverter board I was pretty confident that wasn't the issue. Bad joints should have been the FIRST thing I checked - that's repair 101 stuff!

Now if only I could fix this Hantarex 900 that's kicking my butt...

Comment

I've been really lucky with LCD monitors and TV's so far. I've done maybe 20 now and so far they haven't needed anything except caps. The down side of that is I didn't learn much fixing them and that was the whole point in taking on the projects.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by Peale
                                  Now if only I could fix this Hantarex 900 that's kicking my butt...
                                  Possible useful Forum for that one

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=80194.0

Comment

A cracked solder joint good thing it was an easy fix. I thought you already checked for them when you replaced the caps. I better start from square one in the future. Because that's what happens when you assume .

I've been really lucky with LCD monitors and TV's so far. I've done maybe 20 now and so far they haven't needed anything except caps. The down side of that is I didn't learn much fixing them and that was the whole point in taking on the projects.
                                    You must be on a lucky streak the easy fixes are in the minority for me. Luckily the inverter designs are pretty similar so it's just a matter of checking the most susceptible components before resorting to troubleshooting.

A large clamp on magnifying lamp on your workbench helps finding cracked joints. If you think you've found one wiggle the component and look for movement. Or shotgun solder any lead you think might be cracked.
                                    Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-20-2009, 03:08 PM.
                                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobdee
                                      Did you happen to note who started that long useless thread?

Okay, it's not totally useless, it's a log of what I've already checked.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                                        A cracked solder joint good thing it was an easy fix. I thought you already checked for them when you replaced the caps. I better start from square one in the future. Because that's what happens when you assume .
                                        Like I said, that's repair 101 stuff; I should have done that first. I remember touching up the solder on the connector between the boards, but that was it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X