Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimei CMV 946A caps

Hello

I have recently been experiancing power issues with my Chimei 19" CMV 946A. I diagnosed this problem as a capacitor issue (power light stays on, strange hissing / buzzing sound well running, blank screen) and after opening the case i seen the expected bulging caps and a little corrosion on one of the aluminium tops.

So i have decided to replace the whole set as they are CapXon which ive heard arnt very good and also im not 100% sure what one are broken and what ones arnt. The only problem is that i have no idea where to start in buying the new capacitors .

The caps i removed where:

CE101 - 220uF 25v
    CE102 - 1000uF 10v
    CE103 - 1000uF 25v
    CE104 - 1000uF 25v
    CEGiantSmudgeOfGlue - 2200uF 10v
    CE109 - 220uF 25v

They are all Black with a grey stripe going up them. (see attatched images)

I would like a good brand name that would work as a replacement to these (i hear nichicon HE is good), but i dont know what particular models i should be looking for that would be compatable with eachother and my moniter. Any suggestions willl be apreciated.

Thanks
    CtrlAltELITE

PS: Sorry for picture quality its only a 1megapixel camera.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CtrlAltELITE; 02-01-2011, 05:11 PM.

Re: Chimei CMV 946A caps

If you live in the USA, follow PlainBill's instructions to order Panasonic FM or FR caps. If FM or FR are out of stock, choose Panasonic FC as an alternative.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...33&postcount=2
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Sorry i forgot to mention that. I live in UK. Also that is for a different type of moniter

EDIT: Also the problem is im not sure what the

"Under Package/Case select Radial"
      and
      "Under Series select the series of caps you believe are acceptable."

is there anywhere where i can find out what cap series and package / case radial would be acceptable?
      Last edited by CtrlAltELITE; 02-01-2011, 05:15 PM.

Comment

You may find RS Components to be cheaper for shipping.

Comment

yea its not sourcing the caps thats my problem. I dont know where to start when it comes to models and serieses etc. If someone could give me some examples of capacitors which would work as a replacment i can then go check RSComponants / UK version of PlainBills store.

Comment

Check your diameter and height to make sure they fit.

1000uf 25V Panasonic FR

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P14424-ND

220uF 25V Panasonic FM

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12383-ND

1000uF 10V Panasonic FR

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P14378-ND

2200uF 10V Panasonic FR

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P14382-ND
            Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-01-2011, 06:16 PM.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

if you're in the UK, go to http://www.esr.co.uk/components and click on the catalogue at the top right of the page. Go to page 10 and you'll find Radial Electrolytic capacitors (the green ones) Those are the ones I used to fix my monitor. flat £2.50 delivery charge, with no minimum order.

The 10v caps can be replaced with 16v ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Andeh View Post
                if you're in the UK, go to http://www.esr.co.uk/components and click on the catalogue at the top right of the page.
                Those caps seem to be no name and not low ESR caps. The power board requires low ESR caps like the Panasonic FM or FR caps.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The caps advised by Andeh,have been used by myself for over 3 years with no returns or failures,and would certainly do a job for you,at a very economical cost.
                  Farnell will have the Panasonic caps, but unlike the States,there is a minimal order value of £20 + Vat.RS will also have them,but again a very small order, which you require, will not be Vat free,nor P&P free.Digikey which seems brilliant for the USA users,has a P&P charge in the UK of £12.50 irrespective of value or quantity.
                  Dimensions also have not caused a problem,in any Monitor I have used them in,and thats a total of 89 monitors from 2Sept to yesterday,and ESR on all of these has been less than 0.05 ohms on my ESR meter,ripple has not caused any problems,but of course the choice is yours.

Comment

Ok guys. Andeh no offence i wanna make sure i get some good quality caps. Gone with a mixture of Rubycon and Panasonic. Wanna make sure this will work as they are all not of the same brand (the rubycon ones seem to have a longer MTBF and i couldnt source the whole set of panasonics)

http://shop.mikecartwright.net/1000u...citor-rubycon/ x2
                    http://shop.mikecartwright.net/220uf...citor-rubycon/ x2
                    http://shop.mikecartwright.net/2200u...nic-fr-series/
                    http://shop.mikecartwright.net/1000u...nic-fr-series/

So the mixxed caps will work right? Ive measured and im sure they will all fit in.

Comment

1. Never heard of that site.
                      2. Can't be sure the capacitors are genuine.
                      3. Those prices are extortionate. RS will sell you caps in bags of 5 for ~49p a cap if you were buying Panasonic FR.

Comment

Temporarily out of stock - back order for despatch 22/04/2011
                        This is why im not using RS

Comment

Even Farnell is out of stock! What the hell?!

How much room have you got for extra height?

Comment

a few centimeters... it is a pretty large moniter case. The diameter is pretty tight though. Was looking at a mixxed series of Nichicon's though that i could pick up. Reletivly low lifetime compared to panasonics though but they are in stock... and they have a lower ripple current... which would be nice if i knew what that did

Comment

Originally posted by CtrlAltELITE View Post
                              So the mixxed caps will work right? Ive measured and im sure they will all fit in.
                              Rubycon ZLJ is not on the list of low ESR caps as per

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

I would stick with Panasonic FR or FM.

PS. Everyone will have their own opinions on what caps to use. There is no "right" answer. Many people on this forum use Panasonic with no problems. I tend to use Rubycon MCZ.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ah ok i double checked that list... got a bunch of caps in stock on RS componants mostly Nichicon PW and PM and 1 Panasonic FC. Ordering it now thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Hi All,

After reading through the information here I have replaced the 6 caps as discussed and the monitor is now working... almost perfectly.

I replaced 4 of the 6 caps with Panasonic FR's however RS dont stock the 220uF in this range so replaced these with the FC.

The monitor now powers up and the annoying hissing has stopped, however when first switched on the image flickers quite badly then slowly fades out and stops after 10-15 seconds.

Its obviously a cap problem but why? Because I used two odd caps perhaps? Its not a major problem as im only using the LCD for diagnostic purposes, but would be nice to know what could be causing the problem for future reference...

Thanks in advance.
                                  Last edited by NobbyJones; 08-17-2011, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Which 6 caps? I count 7, and there are at least 2 more that are not visible in the very bad pictures. (That was a hint to provide a good picture of the power supply.)

PlainBill
                                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

The 6 which are listed in the first post. These are the vertically mounted ones shown in the picture.

There are 2 other caps on the board, the horizontally mounted redish coloured one which is visible in the picture, and the large one on the high voltage side of the board.

Comment

There are 2 more capacitors you did not list,Going from memory they are a 50v 47UF and 50v 22UF these are very small capacitors around 4mm in diameter.
                                        You really need to provide some better focused pictures of the entire board.
                                        If the number of your power supply is DAC-19m005 there are numerous threads on it.
                                        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Working...
                                        X