Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HP w20. Total Shutdown. Cannot turn-on immediately.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP w20. Total Shutdown. Cannot turn-on immediately.

First of all, apologies if I am opening another very long thread on this monitor.

I have read through the thread of the same model by Capblown, which is having about 100 posts and I do not want to further add confusion to that wonderful & informative thread there. Besides, the failure I am encountering is not the same and there are some design differences of my power board (labeled as Rev3) as compared to the Rev2 & Rev3 there.

With me right now is another LCD monitor of the same model HP w20, which I am having problem troubleshooting and do not have the schematics. I am not the original owner of the monitor & when I open it up there are signs of it being meddled around with. I will elaborate this further.

Symptom/Problem

When it first arrived, the monitor works fine with signal connected. Power led on, Backlight on with a touch of the on/off switch. After around 40-50 min or when it goes to standby, it will automatically shut down. No Power led on. Once it shutdown, I cannot turn-it on even after pressing the on/off switch many times. I will need to unplug it for a XX minutes (the timing gets longer as you do it again and again) & once re-plug it will then be able to works fine as normal. If I press the on/off switch to turn it off manually, it will behave the same way as above also (i.e cannot turn on & No power led light up). If I disconnect it from the pc (i.e Without any video signal), the ‘check video signal' box will appear BUT not moving. It will stay there until it goes to sleep mode & it will automatically shut down as above. Hope I am clear in my description

What's been done :

1) Opened up the monitor and saw that the Power board, to me have been tempered with because I observed,
    1.1) some screws were missing or over thread
    1.2) 2 caps (470uf 25v) were ‘loose' from the glue (I believe someone have solder/re-solder them
    1.3) and most crucially, there are ‘globs' of solders on the ends of smd resistors R127 and R129 and it seems to me they are unsoldered/re-soldered upon, and they are now slanted. Ok the thing is, if I follow correctly the thread by Capblown, Rev3 (same as my board) should be using smd resistor labeled 515 instead of 335 which is now soldered on this board. 335 smd resistor is used on the Rev2 version of the board.

2) With power unplugged
    2.1) Replaced the electrolytic caps (except the Big cap & Rubycons ZLH 1000uf x4 & 1500uf x2 all 25v)
    - 470uf 25v x2pcs with Panasonic FM,
    - 47uf 50v x2pcs and 10uf 50v with Nichicon (PS) because that is what I have at hand for now.
    2.2) Measured the fuse (F101) for open but it is reading 0.03 ohms
    2.3) Measured for short at the 4-pin bridge rectifier (BD101) but NO shorted between them.
    2.4) Measured short at D110 & D111 on both pins 1 & 3 but there are devices L106 & L107 in-between them respectively. So I guess they are fine.

3) With power plugged
    3.1) Measured across the big 150uF 400V caps = 327V DC at both ‘On' or ‘Shutdown' stage.

3.2) Measured on the input to the logic card -
    During ‘On'
    Red(2 wires) = 13.19V
    Black(2 wires) = 0V
    Blue(3 wires) = 5.28V
    Black(2 wires) = 0V
    Brown = 1.7V
    Yellow = 1.97V
    Black =0.02V

During ‘Shutdown'
    Red(2 wires) = 0.18V (& keep decreasing)
    Black(2 wires) = 0V
    Blue(3 wires) = 0.25V
    Black(2 wires) = 0V
    Brown = 0.09V
    Yellow = 0.23V
    Black =0V

3.3) Measured on the pins of IC OZ9939GN
    During ‘On'
    Pin 2 (VDD) = 4.74V
    Pin 5 (ISEN) = 0.8V
    Pin 6 (VSEN) = 0.8V
    Pin 7 (OVPT) = 2.97V
    Pin 10 (ENA) (ON/OFF) = 4.69V

During ‘Shutdown'
    Pin 2 (VDD) = 0V
    Pin 5 (ISEN) = 0V
    Pin 6 (VSEN) = 0V
    Pin 7 (OVPT) = 0V
    Pin 10 (ENA) (ON/OFF) = 0V

3.4) Measured on the pins of Topswitch CMOS chip (TOP247YN)
    During ‘On'
    Pin 1 (Control) =5.36V
    Pin 2 (Line sense) = 0V
    Pin 3 (External current limit) =1.28V
    Pin 4 (Source) = 0V (Seems to be tied to Pin 2)
    Pin 5 (Frequency) =5.36V (Seems to be tied to Pin 1)
    Pin 7 (Drain) = 'out of range'!!. (while putting my probe on this I got a small spark & the backlight went off. I quickly remove it. However, doing this the 2nd time KILLED my DMM)

During ‘Shutdown' (this was done before my DMM went BUST)
    Pin 1 (Control) =0.76V
    Pin 2 (Line sense) = 0V
    Pin 3 (External current limit) =0.26V
    Pin 4 (Source) = 0V (Seems to be tied to Pin 2)
    Pin 5 (Frequency) =0.76V (Seems to be tied to Pin 1)
    Pin 7 (Drain) = 325V

4) Some differences that I noticed between my board & Rev3 from other thread
    a) as per 1.3, R127 and R129 should be using smd resistor labeled 515 instead of 335 (Rev2)
    b) R143 mine is labeled 2203 (Rev2) but the Rev3 in the thread looks to me to be labeled as 1203 or 1303
    c) Q23 is mounted (Rev2) unlike Rev3. However on this board Z9 is labeled 104 same with Rev3 while Rev2 is labeled 684.. hhhmmm,,

5) Casualties (non-living things)
    x) A dead DMM after measuring the Drain of the Topswitch CMOS chip (TOP247YN).
    xx) A blown fuse after I stupidly shorted the BIG cap with POWER PLUGGED!! No magic smoke, just ‘live' fireworks. heh!..

Questions
    Since there are no 13V or 5V to the logic card during shutdown, am I right to say that the faulty lies on the Power board?
    If yes, could it be that the problem is caused by the 2 smd resistors (labeled 335), which it seems to be re-soldered upon, and can I replaced them with axial resistors in series matching them up to 5.1M ohms each?
    Any other tests/measurements do I need to take to verify the source of the problem?

I can't thank you guys enough for all the support/advise/instructions you all have given me so far..
    Now I need to get my DMM replaced. Sigh!..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by newbie1; 11-09-2010, 10:13 AM.

Re: HP w20. Total Shutdown. Cannot turn-on immediately.

Off the top of my head, get someone with the same board revision as you to check the original caps and their series, and make sure you matched these series correctly (i.e. How do you know that you replaced them correctly if the guy before you may have tampered with it and replaced it with an incorrect cap which you are basing your replacements off of). I'm not an expert, but if the monitor is working but shutting off after a while, it most certainly seems like something is wrong with the capacitors.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
      Off the top of my head, get someone with the same board revision as you to check the original caps and their series, and make sure you matched these series correctly (i.e. How do you know that you replaced them correctly if the guy before you may have tampered with it and replaced it with an incorrect cap which you are basing your replacements off of). I'm not an expert, but if the monitor is working but shutting off after a while, it most certainly seems like something is wrong with the capacitors.
      thanks mockingbird for the suggestion,.. i do not have the physical resources to based the correct caps except the thread by CapBlown.. After going through all the pictures, i am pretty convinced that i did replaced the caps with the identical values as his thread.. Unless, he can advise me otherwise..

Comment

IC102 is shutting down. It may be defective, overheating, or something else is drawing excess current and preventing it from restarting. What is it's part number?

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
          IC102 is shutting down. It may be defective, overheating, or something else is drawing excess current and preventing it from restarting. What is it's part number?

PlainBill
          Good afternoon PlainBill,

IC102 marking -
          J615
          TOP247YN
          38578A

datatsheet here

I did some voltage measurement (Kindly see 3.4 on Post #1) which BUSTED my DMM while measuring the Drain pin.. Also I did measure resistance on the pins, before my DMM goes south, Pins 1 & 5 are shorted to each other & Pins 2 & 4 are shorted to each other as well..

How do I tell whether it is defective or overheating or something else is drawing excess current? Any measurement ot test to confirm this?. many thanks sir..
          Last edited by newbie1; 11-09-2010, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie1 View Post
            Good afternoon PlainBill,

IC102 marking -
            J615
            TOP247YN
            38578A

datatsheet here

I did some voltage measurement (Kindly see 3.4 on Post #1) which BUSTED my DMM while measuring the Drain pin.. Also I did measure resistance on the pins, before my DMM goes south, Pins 1 & 5 are shorted to each other & Pins 2 & 4 are shorted to each other as well..

How do I tell whether it is defective or overheating or something else is drawing excess current? Any measurement ot test to confirm this?. many thanks sir..
            Thanks for the datasheet. I would have wasted a lot of time by looking at for wrong number.

Looking through the datasheet, I can understand if pins 4 and 5 were shorted together; that is a common circuit configuration. I cannot conceive of any other pins connected which would allow it to work. Yes, contacting the D pin (pin 7) could cause problems with a DMM. That pin probably reaches voltages in excess of 600 VDC!!

My best suggestion is to unsolder the IC and use your new DMM to check for shorts between the pins.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Roger that...
              I will proceed with re-soldering my new fuse, & desoldering IC102 to measure for shorts. Before that, just a thought, but I don't know whether I am making sense here & do please correct me if I am wrong.

Having read page 6 of the datasheet, it seems to me that since Pins 1 (Control) & 5 (Frequency) are shorted to each other and Pins 2 (Line-sense) & 4 (Source) are shorted to each other as well, IC102 is behaving :
              1) Input pin for selecting switching frequency is 66 kHz since it is connected to CONTROL pin.
              2) Input pin for OV, UV, line feed forward with DCMAX reduction, remote ON/OFF and synchronization is DISABLED on this pin because it is connected to SOURCE pin.

I do not know whether these has any impact to the functionality of IC102. Some differences that I like to highlight by looking at my board again & comparing with the Rev2 & Rev3 boards from Capblown thread (attached),

> Rev2 – R127 & R129 are smd resistors labeled 335;
              R131 is smd resistor labeled 1004;
              Pins 2 & 4 of IC102 looks like they are not connected to each other in my eyes

> Rev3 - R127 & R129 are smd resistors labeled 515;
              R131 is not mounted;
              Pins 2 & 4 of IC102 looks like they are connected to each other in my eyes using R171

> My board - R127 & R129 are smd resistors labeled 335 (appear to be re-soldered);
              R131 is not mounted;
              Pins 2 & 4 of IC102 looks like they are connected to each other in my eyes using just excessive solder

FYI, I measured that R129 is shorted (connected) to Pin 3 (External current limit) of IC102.
              So do you think, before I desolder IC102, that I should try this
              - disconnect Pins 2 & 4 of my board & insert an axial resistor (1000M ohms) on R131, just like Rev2 & see whether it will work?
              - Any danger of me adding to the list of casualties by doing the above?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by newbie1; 11-09-2010, 11:39 PM.

Comment

You did catch some nuances of the data sheet which completely escaped my attention. My mistake.

It's your board, you can do whatever you want. My suggestion was based on several points.

1. The most likely reason for the problem is the SMPS controller was overheating and shutting down to protect itself.

2. This is a high stress application, historically the SMPS controller / power FET combination is less reliable than using two individual parts.

3. The fact that the SMPS controller went into a coma after destroying your DMM could indicate it experienced permanent damage.

It has been my observation that the people here fall into three classes.
                1. The 'I'll throw parts at it until I fix it or give up' group. Thankfully we don't have many of them.
                2. The 'I'll ask for help and replace the suggested parts' group. These tend to have a high success rate while buying a minimal number of unnecessary parts.
                3. The 'I want to understand how this thing works in exquisite detail, then rebuild it for maximum reliability' group. These are relatively rare; obviously you are one of them. That is not a BAD thing.

PlainBill

Comment

You did catch some nuances of the data sheet which completely escaped my attention. My mistake.

It's your board, you can do whatever you want. My suggestion was based on several points.

1. The most likely reason for the problem is the SMPS controller was overheating and shutting down to protect itself.

2. This is a high stress application, historically the SMPS controller / power FET combination is less reliable than using two individual parts.

3. The fact that the SMPS controller went into a coma after destroying your DMM could indicate it experienced permanent damage.

It has been my observation that the people here fall into three classes.
                  1. The 'I'll throw parts at it until I fix it or give up' group. Thankfully we don't have many of them.
                  2. The 'I'll ask for help and replace the suggested parts' group. These tend to have a high success rate while buying a minimal number of unnecessary parts.
                  3. The 'I want to understand how this thing works in exquisite detail, then rebuild it for maximum reliability' group. These are relatively rare; obviously you are one of them. That is not a BAD thing.

PlainBill

PlainBill, really sorry if i seemed to be doubting your judgment/suggestion in my earlier post, because honestly i wasn't.. And also scrapped my stupid idea.. i do not want to risk having my other half to call 911..

Gratefully appreciate on the explanations & accepted the 3 points of your suggestion,.. I just managed to desoldered the IC102 a while ago.. For those of you with similar board, to take it off, you must unscrew it from the heatsink first, then unscrew the heatsink (2 screws at the bottom) & desolder the 4-pin bridge rectifier (BD101).. removing the heatsink & BD101 leaving the IC102 still sticking on the board.. Then desolder it.. Measured for short in-between the individual pins but can found none shorted. Currently, I have not fixed it back, in case there are other measurement/s to take.

I also measured on the solderpads that IC102 was attached on the board and found that Pins 1 (Control) & 5 (Frequency) solderpads are internally shorted but Pins 2 (Line-sense) & 4 (Source) are not.

Hope you can continue guiding me what to do next..
                  thanks again sir..

Comment

Late to to the party.... I may have missed something, but after the incident with your DMM, does the W20 still power up and shutdown after an hour? If yes, maybe you can accelerate the shutdown process by using a blow dryer set on high heat and try heating up the TOP247 to see if you can cause it to shutdown more quickly. If this works, then the TOP247 (or a surrounding component) could be defective. Worth a try.
                    Last edited by jetadm123; 11-10-2010, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Ifyou have the back off and point a fan at it, does it stay on longer? If so, somethings overheating.

Comment

Hope the party & Holidays are going great..

Managed to reassembled the IC102 back to the board. Power up fine. But when i switch it off & on again it did not respond. No Power LED on. So am i right to assume that this is unlikely to be heat related which is per my initial assesment of the problem? The heatsink of the IC is not even warm btw. Then I flip the board over to take some voltage readings around IC102 but i do not know whether they are relevant

*Pin C to Gnd (cold start) = 5.28V.. BUT it will drop to 0.72V (stable) if the power switch on the panel is not pressed during the 5.28V period (not turn-on). If I press it during C=5.28V, the voltage remains & monitor works fine.
                        *Pin C to Gnd (off) = 0.72V
                        *Pin C to Gnd (unplugged) = 0.72V but changed to 2.3V & decreasing after ~15 sec
                        * Pin X to Gnd = 0.26V
                        * Pin X1 to Gnd = 0.26V
                        * Pin X2 to Gnd = 60V
                        * Pin X3 to Gnd = >600V!!... Luckily my new DMM has a max of 1000V..

Can anybody confirm whether IC102 is faulty & i need to replace it?.. or is there something else that i might miss out?..
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by newbie1; 11-11-2010, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Managed to reassembled the IC102 back to the board. Power up fine. But when i switch it off & on again it did not respond. No Power LED on. So am i right to assume that this is unlikely to be heat related which is per my initial assesment of the problem? The heatsink of the IC is not even warm btw. Then I flip the board over to take some voltage readings around IC102 but i do not know whether they are relevant

*Pin C to Gnd (cold start) = 5.28V.. BUT it will drop to 0.72V (stable) if the power switch on the panel is not pressed during the 5.28V period (not turn-on). If I press it during C=5.28V, the voltage remains & monitor works fine.
                          *Pin C to Gnd (off) = 0.72V
                          *Pin C to Gnd (unplugged) = 0.72V but changed to 2.3V & decreasing after ~15 sec
                          * Pin X to Gnd = 0.26V
                          * Pin X1 to Gnd = 0.26V
                          * Pin X2 to Gnd = 60V
                          * Pin X3 to Gnd = >600V!!... Luckily my new DMM has a max of 1000V..

Can anybody confirm whether IC102 is faulty & i need to replace it?.. or is there something else that i might miss out?..
                          I'm questioning my earlier belief that IC102 was defective.

The thing that catches my eye is the behavior of the C input. Why is that dropping to .72 volts? Oh, for a schematic!!!

PlainBill

Comment

No Power LED on. So am i right to assume that this is unlikely to be heat related which is per my initial assesment of the problem? The heatsink of the IC is not even warm btw. Then I flip the board over to take some voltage readings around IC102 but i do not know whether they are relevant.

If you were still having the shutdown problems you decribed in post#1, I would say you did have a thermal problem and recommend what capblown did on the thread you listed:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...=hp+w20&page=2

Looking at post #35, he provides a photo of all the points he resoldered to solve his problem.

You're saying that after reinstalling the top247, you get nothing, except when "C" is around 5.28V and you press the on/off button and the monitor powers on and shuts down approx. after an hour. Correct? I would go ahead and reflow the solder at the points capblown outlined to see if that helps with the shutdown problem.

If resoldering has no effect, then try lowering the brightness to see if the lower current draw prolongs the "on" time of the monitor.
                            Last edited by jetadm123; 11-11-2010, 09:04 PM.

Comment

I'm questioning my earlier belief that IC102 was defective.

The thing that catches my eye is the behavior of the C input. Why is that dropping to .72 volts? Oh, for a schematic!!!

PlainBill
                              PlainBill, I am also doubting myself about my description in post #1. I think the way I test it the first time (Switch on & let it run until it shutdown during standby/sleep mode) is WRONG. It makes other people including myself, think that I am having heat related problem with this monitor. BUT, now after monitoring the control pin of IC102 I believe I should have checked whether it will respond to pressing the on/off switch (able to restart), which is not the case now, unless if you correctly time it when Pin 1 (Control) = 5.28V. FYI, I am also not comfortable with the condition of R127 & R129 (labeled 335 & appears to be re-soldered) which is linking to Pin 3 (External Current Limit). Any thoughts?
                              BTW, if you don’t mind me asking, Pin 1 (Control) needs at least 4.5V for it to power up right? And what is Auto-restart hysteresis voltage (min 0.8V)?

I have googled for the schematics but is unsuccessful so far. Sigh!. Anybody knows
                              of sites that I can check with. Or maybe I should follow Capblown example & take a zoom-up picture of that area & trace-out the link of the pins connecting to which components that might makes Pin 1 to drop voltage. However I am not sure whether I can be THAT artistic with all the colors. Lol!. Sometimes, my wife gave me ‘that look’ that signals to me, why on earth, at this age, am I still wasting my sleeping hours doing my colleges tutorials & practical experiments at home. Insane?.. Lol..

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                              If you were still having the shutdown problems you decribed in post#1, I would say you did have a thermal problem and recommend what capblown did on the thread you listed:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...=hp+w20&page=2

Looking at post #35, he provides a photo of all the points he resoldered to solve his problem.

You're saying that after reinstalling the top247, you get nothing, except when "C" is around 5.28V and you press the on/off button and the monitor powers on and shuts down approx. after an hour. Correct? I would go ahead and reflow the solder at the points capblown outlined to see if that helps with the shutdown problem.

If resoldering has no effect, then try lowering the brightness to see if the lower current draw prolongs the "on" time of the monitor.
                              jetadm123, noted on re-soldering ALL 60 solder joints. *GULP!* As I mentioned above, maybe I am not testing the monitor correctly the first time. Just to clarify the current status is –

1) From cold start, I can turn –on the monitor IF I pressed the power button while Pin 1 (Control) = 5.28V but I have not tested it long enough to see whether it will AUTO shutdown, though. Note that Pin 1 (Control) will have a drop voltage to 0.7V after a few seconds. If I miss that window & pressed the switch when Pin 1 (Control) = 0.7V, it will not start/re-start.

2) Pin 1 (Control) = 0.7V is stable with power plugged. Once I unplugged AND AFTER 15 sec Pin 1 (Control) = 2.3V and keep on decreasing.

3) If I plugged it again now, Pin 1 (Control) = 5.28V for a few seconds then drop to 0.7V again.

Hope I am clear enough, man. Ok, I will try lowering the brightness & contrast & see whether Pin 1 will not drop voltage.

p/s : i don't know whether i can kill 2 bird with 1 stone.. but my items to repair the HP f1905 in my other thread arrived just now. so will be soldering & fixing that guy first.. sorry if i do not update this anytime soon..
                              Last edited by newbie1; 11-12-2010, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Light bulb just went on - darn CCFL. The key must be pin 1. Where is the voltage source?

When you get a chance, I've marked off the area of interest on the bottom of the PC board. At a minimum I would like the pins of IC102 identified.

You had asked about hysteresis. The start-up circuit of an SMPS controller is designed with hysteresis. As the input voltage rises, the controller starts when the voltage reaches 16 volts. It will continue to operate until the input voltage drops below 11 volts. When the input voltage rises again it will start when it reaches 16 volts.

PlainBill
                                Attached Files

Comment

Light bulb just went on - darn CCFL. The key must be pin 1. Where is the voltage source?

When you get a chance, I've marked off the area of interest on the bottom of the PC board. At a minimum I would like the pins of IC102 identified.

You had asked about hysteresis. The start-up circuit of an SMPS controller is designed with hysteresis. As the input voltage rises, the controller starts when the voltage reaches 16 volts. It will continue to operate until the input voltage drops below 11 volts. When the input voltage rises again it will start when it reaches 16 volts.

PlainBill
                                  HAHA! I think we must change to LED lights now.

I will try to findout later where the voltage source of Pin 1 is coming from.. I have the time anyway since my HP1905 is till not solved..In the meantime, I have marked the pins of IC102 in the pix attached. Also i have inserted some notes on the differences between the image & my board..
                                  Legend
                                  C = pin 1 (also internally connected to Pin 5)
                                  L = pin 2
                                  X = pin 3
                                  S = pin 4
                                  F = pin 5
                                  D = pin 7

Many thanks on the explanation on hysteresis, boss.. Your explanation is much much clearer & easier to understand than the one that found through googgled just now... Appreciate it.. .. Can i nominate you for a Noble prize award or something like that?..
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by newbie1; 11-12-2010, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Quickly looking over the IC102 spec sheet (page 6) I notice that pin 1 (C) should have a startup cap (47uf?) connected to it. Can you verify this? Apparently, you need 5.8V across this cap for startup to begin. Try replacing this cap. Hopefully, you have a spare cap lying around for testing, say, maybe from a junked power supply?

Comment

Very correct. I have trace out in the attached photo the pins & to where they are linking to. Yes, Pin 1 is connected to cap 47uf 50V which i already replaced with Nichicon PS. Do you think I should replaced it again?. All i have spare now for this, is the same capacitor type no Panasonic. Unless you think I can replaced it with a 22uF 50V Panasonic FM i have lying around.

The photo is only taken on some part of the circuits. My camera is not very good i guess to take a zoom out image with readable markings on the board. If a bigger area is needed to trace out the voltage source, I will re-take again. I also attach the top side.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Oops! Forgot about the fact that you already changed the 47uf cap. Back to the drawing board.

Also, what is the model number of the power board? Li Shin XXXXX
                                        Last edited by jetadm123; 11-12-2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X