Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speakers damaged from children. Can this tweeter be repaired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speakers damaged from children. Can this tweeter be repaired?

I got these speakers that seem to be damaged from the previous owners small children.

As you can see on the first pic, the tweeter's outer membrane has been totally ripped.

I also post another pic with the other speaker that survived...

Is this beyond repair?

I have no clue about soft dome tweeters.

How distorted does this speaker sound because I have a pair of speakers that this happened to from being stored with out the covers for the speakers they were misplaced but as long as you do not play it really loud they sound decent

If the looks of it bothers you , you can take a sowing needle and very carefully pick it back out but it will not look perfect but you can make it look a lot better than it does now but you have to be careful and patience to not damage it to the point where the sound will be worse than it is now

Now the one tweeter is damaged to the point of no return unfortunately and it might be almost impossible to find a exact replacement for it so you might need to replace both of them
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-26-2023, 08:06 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

What we did in the repair shop was use a vacuum cleaner WITH BIG AIR LEAK like the attachment for cleaning drapes which has a hole on the side, to suck out the domes gently without ripping the cone out.

I don't like the pin-poke and making a hole, the air leak is a problem.

Comment

I created this thread mainly about the tweeter but let me take the chance to ask a question about the dust cover of the woofers.

When the dust cover is poked in like this :
        https://www.badcaps.net/filedata/fetch?photoid=3168509
        does this affect the sound? Because I was under the impression that people try to fix this just for aesthetics and not because it impacts the sound.

Yeap, the tweeter is open circuit to multimeter and as expected totally silent when connected to an amp.

I carefully removed it, posting pics of the operation:

Comment

if expensive enough there might be a rebuild kit . failing that is replace it .

Comment

At last I found some time and tried to repair the dust cover of the woofers that had that issue. I used super strong duct tape to pull the dust cover out.

On one of the woofers, the glue that is supposed to keep the dust cover attached and sealed on the speaker cone has been gone.

What type of glue should I use to seal the hole shown in the pic bellow?

Is epoxy glue 2 component suitable for this type of application?

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
              At last I found some time and tried to repair the dust cover of the woofers that had that issue. I used super strong duct tape to pull the dust cover out.

On one of the woofers, the glue that is supposed to keep the dust cover attached and sealed on the speaker cone has been gone.

What type of glue should I use to seal the hole shown in the pic bellow?

Is epoxy glue 2 component suitable for this type of application?
              tsa blacken 99 is the stuff if you can find it

Comment

Thanks a lot but it seems it is not available in my country (Greece)

Comment

I used T-7000 glue (both transparent and black) in the past to glue a speaker cone dust cap, and it works great.

Comment

Ended up using epoxy 2 part glue that I already had in hand to glue the dust cap to the cone.

Comment

Working...
                    X